FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              4       5       end

Downsizing my kit, debating Fuji options

liggy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Downsizing my kit, debating Fuji options

hectorvs wrote:
Side note… how is the X-T5 sold out so hard? My store of choice is B&H cause I get an employer discount and also tax free with their Payboo card. All of their X-T5 skus are sold out…

No employer discount but one of my LCSs has the kit in stock. If you're out of state I don't think they charge you sales tax. Unsure on that though.

Bonus: if you buy the kit and don't want the kit lens I'll take it off of your hands. I want to try one.

https://www.glazerscamera.com/products/fuji-x-t5-w-16-50-kit-silver?_pos=5&_sid=107d4ea23&_ss=r

They are great to deal with - I got my silver one on launch day from them via preorder. They also have a used one in black for $1399.

My theory on the X-T5 being sold out? I think it's the peak expression of Fujifilm right now. The proper dials. A great sensor. Beautiful retro but useful design.

"Photography First" in the words of their marketing.

Edited on Jul 04, 2024 at 04:47 PM · View previous versions

Jul 04, 2024 at 04:13 PM
hectorvs
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Downsizing my kit, debating Fuji options

liggy wrote:
No employer discount but one of my LCSs has the kit in stock. If you're out of state I don't think they charge you sales tax. Unsure on that though.

Bonus: if you buy the kit and don't want the kit lens I'll take it off of your hands. I want to try one.

https://www.glazerscamera.com/products/fuji-x-t5-w-16-50-kit-silver?_pos=5&_sid=107d4ea23&_ss=r

They are great to deal with - I got my silver one on launch day from them via preorder. They also have a used one in black for $1399.

My theory on the X-T5 being sold out? I think it's the peak essence of Fujifilm right now. The
...Show more

Thanks for the tip, I PMed you

Jul 04, 2024 at 04:43 PM
pressureworld
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Downsizing my kit, debating Fuji options

hectorvs wrote:
Side note… how is the X-T5 sold out so hard? My store of choice is B&H cause I get an employer discount and also tax free with their Payboo card. All of their X-T5 skus are sold out…

It looks like Fuji is artificially holding back supply. It's unfortunate but hardly surprising.

https://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-ceo-supply-is-normal-overproduction-would-force-discounts-and-reduce-brand-strength-and-gear-value/

Jul 05, 2024 at 10:08 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Downsizing my kit, debating Fuji options

pressureworld wrote:
It looks like Fuji is artificially holding back supply. It's unfortunate but hardly surprising.

https://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-ceo-supply-is-normal-overproduction-would-force-discounts-and-reduce-brand-strength-and-gear-value/

That is, in fact, what one Fujifilm representative implied. Whether or not that is actually what they are doing, it is a very bad look to make a claim like that. It displeases customers and potential customers on more than one level. It looks like they are manipulating prices and it tells buyers that supplies of equipment hey want will be unreliable.

There’s not a good way to spin that at all, whether it is truthful or not.

I suspect that it isn’t truthful, and that it is more of a cover-up for their continuing inability to consistently produce and deliver products. When I first saw this story — and didn’t believe the claim — I took a look at the Fujifilm store where about 1/3 of the G lenses were listed as unavailable, for example.

All camera companies had issues during the pandemic, but Fujifilm’s have continued. Over the past few years we’ve seen quite a few products go on the unavailable list (or the “wait for a year” list), and it looks more like a pattern of manufacturing issues and/or exceedingly poor market predictions.

If Fujifilm wants to fail to take advantage of a potential to grow markets, this is pretty much the way to accomplish that.

Jul 05, 2024 at 10:29 AM
rbf_
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Downsizing my kit, debating Fuji options

gdanmitchell wrote:
That is, in fact, what one Fujifilm representative implied. Whether or not that is actually what they are doing, it is a very bad look to make a claim like that. It displeases customers and potential customers on more than one level. It looks like they are manipulating prices and it tells buyers that supplies of equipment hey want will be unreliable.

I suspect that it isn’t truthful, and that it is more of a cover-up for their continuing inability to consistently produce and deliver
...Show more

Welcome back Dan! Haven't seen you posting here in a long while.

I agree that it seems unlikely that the supply shortages are intentional. Going back to the film days Fujifilm has employed a strategy of being cheaper and providing good relative value to grow market share. They are also still doing seasonal sales with hefty rebates(up to $500 off per lens) so I doubt they shortages are intentional.

Jul 05, 2024 at 10:46 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Downsizing my kit, debating Fuji options

rbf_ wrote:
Welcome back Dan! Haven't seen you posting here in a long while.

I finally got so fed up with some of the noxious posts and posters on FM that I had to take a break. I’m back at the moment, but we’ll see how it goes.

I agree that it seems unlikely that the supply shortages are intentional. Going back to the film days Fujifilm has employed a strategy of being cheaper and providing good relative value to grow market share. They are also still doing seasonal sales with hefty rebates(up to $500 off per lens) so I doubt they shortages are intentional.

While I obviously have no view into Fujifilm’s manufacturing (or finances), the claim — in a single interview — that the shortages are intentional and designed to keep prices high just sounds implausible.

They’ve had a bit of a history of not always matching production to demand, though it seemed to get a whole lot worse during and since the pandemic.

Jul 05, 2024 at 01:25 PM
gear-nut
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Downsizing my kit, debating Fuji options

gdanmitchell wrote:
I finally got so fed up with some of the noxious posts and posters on FM that I had to take a break. I’m back at the moment, but we’ll see how it goes.

While I obviously have no view into Fujifilm’s manufacturing (or finances), the claim — in a single interview — that the shortages are intentional and designed to keep prices high just sounds implausible.

They’ve had a bit of a history of not always matching production to demand, though it seemed to get a whole lot worse during and since the pandemic.

Agree, nice to have you back! You have a wealth of knowledge and share it cogently and kindly—unlike some here!

Jul 05, 2024 at 02:15 PM
hectorvs
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Downsizing my kit, debating Fuji options

Final update, ended up with the following kit.

- X-T5 silver, body only (was able to pick one up during a B&H restock)
- 16mm f2.8 (got used)
- 27mm f2.8 pancake (ordered from eBay)
- 35mm f1.4 (got used)
- 56mm f1.2 WR (ordered alongside X-T5 from B&H)

I'll be keeping the X100VI for now.

Thanks all.

I'll be posting my Z8 kit later to the buy & sell forum

Jul 08, 2024 at 01:47 PM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Downsizing my kit, debating Fuji options

hectorvs wrote:
I currently have a Nikon Z8 with the 24-70mm f2.8, the 105mm f2.8 Macro lens, and 85mm f1.8.

Love the camera and the capabilities, but I rarely take this kit out since it's so freakin huge and heavy. I'm not a pro and mostly take pics of my kid and just to document our outings.

XT5 or XS20

Fuji 16 f2.8
Sigma 18-50 f2.8
Fuji 56 f1.2

Hope that helps.

Not going to wade into the "Sony vs Fuji" debate. Sony is obviously one of the biggest players in the market with plenty of selection of cameras and lenses at numerous price points. Fuji is a much smaller player, with only a small fraction of the market share that Sony has.

Jul 08, 2024 at 02:47 PM
hectorvs
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Downsizing my kit, debating Fuji options

mdude85 wrote:
XT5 or XS20

Fuji 16 f2.8
Sigma 18-50 f2.8
Fuji 56 f1.2

Hope that helps.

Not going to wade into the "Sony vs Fuji" debate. Sony is obviously one of the biggest players in the market with plenty of selection of cameras and lenses at numerous price points. Fuji is a much smaller player, with only a small fraction of the market share that Sony has.

Absolutely, Sony has Fuji beat in more ways than one. I actually had an A7RV at some point but it never clicked (no pun intended) with me. AF was great, super versatile, great glass.. just didn't feel fun to use.

Jul 08, 2024 at 03:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Downsizing my kit, debating Fuji options

hectorvs wrote:
Hey folks, it's one of those posts again.

Want to vent my thoughts and see what people think

I currently have a Nikon Z8 with the 24-70mm f2.8, the 105mm f2.8 Macro lens, and 85mm f1.8.

Love the camera and the capabilities, but I rarely take this kit out since it's so freakin huge and heavy. I'm not a pro and mostly take pics of my kid and just to document our outings.

Currently, I want to get back some funds and also downsize to a more reasonable setup.

Option 1: Fuji X-T50 or X-S20 + new 16-50mm kit lens and some f2 primes
Option 2:
...Show more

X-T 30 II is really light. I looked it up the other day it's like 12-13 oz.

Canon has especially light bodies as well, but you probably should look at Nikon if you already have that. But if you're going Fuji take a look at X-T 30 II

Also X-E series is light, X-E3 looks like best price-performance, just looking at specs etc. EDIT: oh well looks like you already bought

Jul 09, 2024 at 09:54 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Downsizing my kit, debating Fuji options

Coming into a thread and announcing that “camera x beats camera y in every way” is not a way to impress folks.

All of today’s brands have virtues and none of them are perfect. If one of them was miles ahead of all the others in every way, photographers would abandon alternative brands aon nd move to that Perfect Brand.

Sony makes great stuff, and the right Sony system could be ideal for a lot of people like our OP depending on various specifics. But Fujifilm options will (and, obviously, do) appeal to a whole lot of other folks who are smart, talented photographers.

It is great to share what you like about your system and why you chose it. But the My Brand Rules Them All stuff doesn’t help, and it sure isn’t convincing.

For someone who likes Fujifilm and wants a very small ILC body, those XE models may be worth looking at. They are tiny, yet have most of the features of larger and more expensive models. They produce the same image quality and work with the same lenses. There are some minor downsides relative to control inputs and a few other things, but the biggest drawback right now is that they are in such demand that their prices are quite high — in some cases used copies go for more than the original llist price.

For me the XT5 has worked out very well during the year-plus that I’ve had it.

Jul 09, 2024 at 10:20 PM
kenbennett
• •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Downsizing my kit, debating Fuji options

gdanmitchell wrote:
For me the XT5 has worked out very well during the year-plus that I’ve had it.

Love my X-T5, and sold both of my X Pro 2 bodies after shooting with it for a couple of months. I'm going to order another X-T5 as soon as they are back in stock, hopefully this weekend.

And thanks for the other comments, Dan. I couldn't agree more. There is no Perfect Camera System by any supposedly Objective Criteria. For a while I shot with a Sony A9 and the terrific 200-600 lens. Nice combo for shooting anything that moves. But the differences in color and post processing effort made me unhappy compared to my Fuji system, so I sold it. Same reason I sold my Leica Q2, which was also a lovely camera.

Jul 10, 2024 at 06:46 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Downsizing my kit, debating Fuji options

kenbennett wrote:
Love my X-T5, and sold both of my X Pro 2 bodies after shooting with it for a couple of months.

Same here. For me (and YMMV, as always) the XT5 has been a great replacement for the XPro2 that I relied on for years.

When I got that XPro2— right after it was released — we were still unsure of the performance of EVF-only cameras. But those worries have diminished greatly as the entire industry has shifted to mirrorless. For my purposes, I don’t feel like I’m giving up anything by moving to the XT5. (I wrote about my switch here.)

Dan

Jul 10, 2024 at 08:55 AM
TENOG
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Downsizing my kit, debating Fuji options

gdanmitchell wrote:

I suspect that it isn’t truthful, and that it is more of a cover-up for their continuing inability to consistently produce and deliver
...Show more

Ritchie Roesch at FujiXWeekly has a thoughtful piece on this: https://fujixweekly.com/2024/07/08/is-fujifilm-purposefully-causing-shortages-to-manipulate-the-market/

Jul 10, 2024 at 11:15 AM
RustyRus
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Downsizing my kit, debating Fuji options

hectorvs wrote:
Hey folks, it's one of those posts again.

Want to vent my thoughts and see what people think

Currently, I want to get back some funds and also downsize to a more reasonable setup.

Option 1: Fuji X-T50 or X-S20 + new 16-50mm kit lens and some f2 primes
Option 2:
...Show more

No way man- Fuji's are brillant cameras but the Nikon system for what it is is just so damn good. You would miss the AF on the Nikon platform.

Fuji has been promising better AF for years and just can't deliver on it.

Also if you compare size, the Fuji's aren't really any smaller. The 1.4 lenses are faster glass but when you look at DOF etc, they loose the advantages of it and you are with another kit you won't wanna bring with you. An Xt5 with the 1.4 prime is a big kit. Not as big as the Z8 but you will be in the same I don't wanna bring this with me boat.

Get rid of the Z8 and pickup the new Z6iii and get some new smaller glass for Nikon. Also the new MF focus aids on the Z63 are incredible. Adding the Voigtlander 40 1.2 with eye detection in MF is really fun and simple to use. Also extremely compact.

I shot Fuji for years and its still the best user experience from a NON-PASM perspective minus Leica, but the AF and limited size advantage now is holding them back IMO.

Good luck

Jul 10, 2024 at 11:19 AM
gear-nut
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Downsizing my kit, debating Fuji options

RustyRus wrote:
No way man- Fuji's are brillant cameras but the Nikon system for what it is is just so damn good. You would miss the AF on the Nikon platform.

Fuji has been promising better AF for years and just can't deliver on it.

Also if you compare size, the Fuji's aren't really any smaller. The 1.4 lenses are faster glass but when you look at DOF etc, they loose the advantages of it and you are with another kit you won't wanna bring with you. An Xt5 with the 1.4 prime is a big kit. Not as big as the
...Show more

Now show the same Z 6iii with the Z 85, 50, 35, 24 or 20 on it along with the Z 24-120 or 24-70 instead of the 40 and you'll see why many of us went to Fuji X
Now add the 27 pancake to the XT5 and compare it to the Z6ii with 40 and you'll see it twice

Jul 10, 2024 at 11:50 AM
RustyRus
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Downsizing my kit, debating Fuji options

gear-nut wrote:
Now show the same Z 6iii with the Z 85, 50, 35, 24 or 20 on it along with the Z 24-120 or 24-70 instead of the 40 and you'll see why many of us went to Fuji X
Now add the 27 pancake to the XT5 and compare it to the Z6ii with 40 and you'll see it twice

No doubt you can have a bigger kit on the Nikon side of the house- its a FF camera and the lenses are bazooka's in some cases.

Again I own and have owned multiple lines of Fuji cameras and at one point, owned all of the Fuji 1.4 primes. The kit felt as big as the FF counterparts in most instances. Large enough to not want to carry it around with me except for very specific purposes.

You have to be very specific in what lenses you choose from Fuji to keep it compact. You can do the same with almost all of the Full frame counterparts now.

He was asking specifically about the 1.4 primes so he obviously cares about low light/DOF and looking at the Fuji options, they aren't much better and you have the crop sensor trade offs baked in as well. Maybe not a negative but its a thing-

The new 35 1.4 from Nikon is 10mm longer, and 4 mm wider than the Fuji 23 1.4 (also cheaper). So the advantages of Fuji start going away in some cases but not all as you pointed out.

Jul 10, 2024 at 12:12 PM
TENOG
• •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Downsizing my kit, debating Fuji options

gear-nut wrote:

Exactly.

Jul 10, 2024 at 12:14 PM
RustyRus
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Downsizing my kit, debating Fuji options

TENOG wrote:
Exactly.

Bigger on the Nikon side but does Fuji have an actually 28mm equiv pancake?. the 28 on Fuji is a 40- So it really depends what focal lengths you need and how much control over DOF you want. Its important factors to think about when moving to Fuji-

Not trying to ruffle Fuji feathers here but its important to call these things out if moving systems.

Edit- Forgot about the 18 pancake-

Jul 10, 2024 at 12:25 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.