FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              end

Downgrade from A7RV to A7CII

rob_ww
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Downgrade from A7RV to A7CII

macadphotos wrote:
If you value weight and don't need crazy bokeh, the A6700 is a fantastic system to get. Couple it with sigma recent compact offerings (10-18mm, 18-50mm, 56mm) plus sony's native lenses (11mm, 15mm, 70-350mm) and you have a really compelling system that is fast and light.

I would endorse this. At one stage I shot with Leica's APS-C camera, the CL. The lenses, including the Sigma 18-50, were fantastic. Today when we are looking at our photos on a modern 27" Apple monitor, or via our LG OLED 65" screen, I simply cannot tell which were taken with the CL and which with the full frame Leica SL and Leica M, it was that good. The 6700 and a couple of those Sigma zooms would be very light and very satisfying to use.

That said, I am now invested in Sony full frame lenses so unlikely to make the switch. Nevertheless, I follow threads like this to keep track of what small and beautiful means in 2024, as I still yearn for the form factor the CL and the M provided.

Jul 05, 2024 at 04:20 AM
rmurphy

p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Downgrade from A7RV to A7CII

Avarios wrote:
Hello everyone, am I crazy?
Currently I own: Sony Alpha 7RV (which I acquired very inexpensively)
Tamron 35-150
Tamron 28-200
Tamron 28-75 G2
Sony 16-35 PZ F4

80% of the time I take photos on vacation, the rest on hikes or city trips/business trips.The 35-150 is barely used cause its too heavy. I'm generally satisfied with my camera, but more and more two points are bothering me:

- ME! I don't really take advantage of the 61MP, hardly any cropping. I don't print anything out. I publish my photos on my website, WhatsApp status and Instagram. It's my hobby.

- The camera and equipment:
...Show more

Honestly based on what you say you like to do and how you process your photos I would suggest just using an iPhone 15 Pro or wait for the iPhone 16 Pro. Just a "thinking outside the box" suggestion.

Jul 05, 2024 at 09:52 AM
rjensen11

p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Downgrade from A7RV to A7CII

rmurphy wrote:
Honestly based on what you say you like to do and how you process your photos I would suggest just using an iPhone 15 Pro or wait for the iPhone 16 Pro. Just a "thinking outside the box" suggestion.

I was thinking the same thing. While I have the A1 and A7Cii, I find myself reaching for my iPhone 15 more often these days. It's always with me, and far easier to share images with friends and relatives (although sharing is easier with the new Creator's App). I usually share the iPhone images right after I take them, and I'm the only one that sees the processed images days after I get back.

Jul 05, 2024 at 11:20 AM
Avarios

p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Downgrade from A7RV to A7CII

rmurphy wrote:

Nah, still not capable of for what i do.

Jul 06, 2024 at 03:47 AM
j1mesb0nd

[X]
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Downgrade from A7RV to A7CII

jrscls wrote:
I would change out the lenses that are too heavy and keep the A7RV. If too many pixels, shoot in M Raw for very clean 26MP images.

Second that

Jul 06, 2024 at 06:24 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

wind30
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Downgrade from A7RV to A7CII

joychris wrote:
Don’t shoot an entire trip on just one card or simply take a couple minutes to offload files every day. How many card failures do you have? In 20 years of shooting I’ve had exactly zero failures. Maybe it’ll happen, but more than likely it won’t.

How did we survive the days of the a7rII and its measly single UHS-I slot ! I took mine to 50 or so countries before moving a newer body. Same for my single card slot drone- since they all have just one slot.

Buy good cards, replace them every few years and your chances of
...Show more

Exactly…. 20 years of vacation shooting, zero card failures… I mean the most u lose is one days worth of pics anyway.

Jul 09, 2024 at 05:22 PM
wind30
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Downgrade from A7RV to A7CII

One thing is a7cii does not have a full mechanical shutter. I have a7r5 a9 and zve1. Honestly the zve1 photo has surprised me a lot. 12mp is fine for me. Its e shutter is decently fast, 3 times faster than a7cii. Outdoor is perfectly fine, indoors You might get banding rarely.
Of u are going to use f1.4 lens in daylight I think the zve1 is pretty good with its base iso of 80. I can use f1.4 in daylight without need for nd filter.
I use the af joystick a lot so I thought I am going to miss it in zve1, but the af tracking is so good that it was useable. I still wish for a joystick but it is not that bad.

Jul 09, 2024 at 05:31 PM
joychris
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Downgrade from A7RV to A7CII

Just an FYI, the shutters on the ZVE1 and the a7cII are not identical. The ZVE1 only has an electric shutter, a7cII has an electronic first curtain shutter - so the second shutter is mechanical.

The readout speed on the 12mp sensor is pretty fast so rolling shutter isn’t much of an issue in most shooting scenarios and the variable shutter can mitigate any banding indoors. The a7cII has significantly more rolling shutter, but it also has the variable shutter to eliminate banding.

Cheers

Chris

wind30 wrote:
One thing is a7cii does not have a full mechanical shutter. I have a7r5 a9 and zve1. Honestly the zve1 photo has surprised me a lot. 12mp is fine for me. Its e shutter is decently fast, 3 times faster than a7cii. Outdoor is perfectly fine, indoors You might get banding rarely.
Of u are going to use f1.4 lens in daylight I think the zve1 is pretty good with its base iso of 80. I can use f1.4 in daylight without need for nd filter.
I use the af joystick a lot so I thought I am going to miss
...Show more

Jul 10, 2024 at 06:23 AM
Avarios

p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Downgrade from A7RV to A7CII

So i had the chance to use the A7CII and i fell in love with the 20-70 and A7CII Combo.
As a extension for night i will use the 50mm F1.8.
That will be my travel gear.
For Zoo i'll keep my 50-400.

Thank you all for the valuable Feedback made my decision much easier

Jul 18, 2024 at 07:19 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.