New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Downgrade from A7RV to A7CII

Avarios

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Downgrade from A7RV to A7CII

Hello everyone, am I crazy?
Currently I own: Sony Alpha 7RV (which I acquired very inexpensively)
Tamron 35-150
Tamron 28-200
Tamron 28-75 G2
Sony 16-35 PZ F4

80% of the time I take photos on vacation, the rest on hikes or city trips/business trips.The 35-150 is barely used cause its too heavy. I'm generally satisfied with my camera, but more and more two points are bothering me:

- ME! I don't really take advantage of the 61MP, hardly any cropping. I don't print anything out. I publish my photos on my website, WhatsApp status and Instagram. It's my hobby.

- The camera and equipment: It's all too heavy for me on trips, despite the compact camera, and takes up too much space.

So those are the points that bother me and therefore my thoughts: Sell all the equipment and get a 7CII, the 20-70 F4, Tamron 70-300 and a prime lens for street/night.

Am I crazy for considering this downgrade?

Jul 02, 2024 at 01:22 AM
Ripolini
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Downgrade from A7RV to A7CII

Avarios wrote:
Am I crazy for considering this downgrade?

If you feel your gear is heavy & bulky, if you don't need 61 MP, you are not crazy at all.
I would opt for the 70-200/4 G II (82,2 x 149,0 mm; 794 g) instead of the Tamron 70-300.

Jul 02, 2024 at 01:36 AM
twelveish
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Downgrade from A7RV to A7CII

Maybe not worth it if you intend on sticking to zoom lenses. Personally, I'd make the switch if I were comfortable mainly using primes, and even then mostly the fairly compact ones available. I would then take a long look at the 70-350 G, and shoot it in aps-c mode, since you don't need the megapickles. It's a great lens.

Jul 02, 2024 at 02:45 AM
vaptre
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Downgrade from A7RV to A7CII

There is no huge difference in weight between two bodies in real life. Change the lenses at first. And I think you will be good with it.

Jul 02, 2024 at 04:13 AM
patotts
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Downgrade from A7RV to A7CII

You are not crazy but be very mindful about how you create your images.

I have a a7RV as well and I got the a7CII (having owned an a7IV before I knew I would be happy with the IQ), but it turns out I hated the way the a7CII operates. I'm old school and I like to compose with the viewfinder, and the EVF of the a7CII is a very different experience from the a7RV (dare I say pitiful?) I also really missed shortcut buttons and the a7CII felt too cramped in my hands - operating the top buttons and switches were just uncomfortable.

Now if you hold your camera differently, or you are a person (like seemingly every YouTube influencer as well) who use the back LCD to compose and shoot, then I'm sure it is fine. It is a very small and light setup, and the IQ is great (apart from that slow sensor readout speed).

So I reverted back to the a7RV but added a Sony 40/2.5 G lens instead for the times I wanted a smaller package, like grabbing a camera for a Sunday lunch with the family, or walking the streets on vacation.

Hence, it is still bigger and heavier than an a7CII, but again, a camera with something like a 20-70/4 or 24-50/2.8 lens isn't really small enough to fit in a coat pocket anyway, so you have to carry the camera over the shoulder or in a bag anyway.

Net/net: make sure to rent and try the a7CII for a day or two. You might love it and then it makes perfect sense to move to an a7CII. Or look for alternatives since you are swapping out every single lens anyhow :-)

Jul 02, 2024 at 04:42 AM
jrscls
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Downgrade from A7RV to A7CII

I would change out the lenses that are too heavy and keep the A7RV. If too many pixels, shoot in M Raw for very clean 26MP images.

Jul 02, 2024 at 04:50 AM
Betacamman
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Downgrade from A7RV to A7CII

jrscls wrote:
I would change out the lenses that are too heavy and keep the A7RV. If too many pixels, shoot in M Raw for very clean 26MP images.

This.

Jul 02, 2024 at 07:22 AM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Downgrade from A7RV to A7CII

There is a big weight difference for A7CII (514g including battery) and A7RV (723g including battery). I think A7CII will definitely help in making the setup lighter but it would not be ideal to pair it with any lenses that are >500g.

I'm a happy A7CII user and I like to pair it with light lenses, but I never owned or used A7RV so can't compare them directly. I have no problems with using the EVF on A7CII, but it might feel too small if one is used to A7RV EVF. I own Sony 16-35 PZ F4 and I think it pairs very well with A7CII. Sigma 28-70/2.8 is also a nice pairing. I use my A7CII a lot with adapted tiny MS-Optics lenses that are in many cases below 100g (some are just slightly over) and with those kind of lenses a smaller and lighter camera is much better.

Suggestion to rent / try A7CII to see if it would fit you is a good one. Not sure if there are any suitable rental services in Germany though.

Jul 02, 2024 at 08:07 AM
rjensen11

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Downgrade from A7RV to A7CII

I have the A1 and A7Cii. Except for birding, I donít use my A1. I use the A7Cii with either the 16-35 PZ (80%) or the Tamron 28-200. Admittedly, I donít do a lot of adjustments using the EVF other than adjusting for exposure with zebras, Iím not framing shots or checking composition.

Jul 02, 2024 at 08:22 AM
RustyRus
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Downgrade from A7RV to A7CII

A7rV is a big camera for the things you listed-

Even more so all the lenses you own are overlapping and MASSIVE-

What type of photography do you wanna do? For travel with family I want small and inconspicuous. Leica Q3/Leica M11/Sony A7c2 with a Voigtlander prime or a 40 2.5G.

Something that fits on my body and is a part of the trip not the star of the show as one of you monster zooms would be.

Maybe even a Fuji X100 would suit you better than your current kit-

Good Luck-

Jul 02, 2024 at 08:51 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Downgrade from A7RV to A7CII

I don't think you're crazy. If I hadn't won my rV at a work raffle, I wouldn't own it. I certainly don't use it enough to justify spending on it. Now I'm hopelessly addicted to the EVF and flexible LCD, so it's staying, but the greater resolution over an rIII isn't wowing me.

So I understand the draw of taking a step back, but I do think the point others are making about the comfort of using larger lenses on the smaller camera not being ideal is accurate. If you can get to a store and handle the cII and some lenses, or rent them, that would best inform your decision on making the switch. There's a difference between the handling of the two that really shouldn't be minimized in any discussion.

Jul 02, 2024 at 09:35 AM
tschopp
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Downgrade from A7RV to A7CII

I would take a look at the a6700 and some aps-c lenses. You could even look into a p&s like the rx100 or canon G7x. The size of the system is as important as other performance metrics.

Jul 02, 2024 at 10:32 AM
joychris
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Downgrade from A7RV to A7CII

I'd make the switch without hesitation. I just traded my a7IV for the a7cII and I love it. I bought the Sony grip off B&S here for the times I want more grip. So I have the best of both worlds. One thing I like more about the a7c is the viewfinder not being in the middle, it's easier to see my surroundings when using the EVF and no more nose smudges on the LCD haha.

I'd also go smaller with lenses too. I'm about to sell my 24-70/2.8 in favor of something smaller and my primes are the 24GM, 35/1.8 & 85/1.8. I'm seriously thinking about the Sigma 18-50/2.8 APS-c lens as my midrange zoom and just using it in crop mode or shooting FF and cropping the edges. But I also have the a6700 on the way and I'm about to downsize from the 200-600 to the 70-350 - specifically for travel and family stuff.

Cheers

Chris

Jul 02, 2024 at 10:48 AM
SpecFoto
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Downgrade from A7RV to A7CII

I made the switch, though still having my A7RIV and A7III, I have to say I have not used them since acquiring my A6700 late last year and the A7CR this year. I just luv the smaller form factor of the new bodies and the thought of upgrading my A7RIV to a RV is now gone. Both older bodies will be going up for sale.

I mostly use 3 of my 4 Batis primes for the A7CR, including my Batis 135, or the 70-200 f4 G Macro and they all feel fine on the smaller bodies. I have added a permanent SmallRig $29 baseplate to each body and that helps with the balance on the lenses no doubt. Also have the 35 and 50 f1.4 GM's but that is about as big/heavy of a lens I would use. For the A6700 I have gone with a diminutive Sigma 18-50 f2.8 as my standard zoom plus 3 smaller primes at 15 f1.4, 56 f1.4 and 90mm f2.8.

Very happy with the smaller form factor of these new bodies, yes there are certain limitations, but the fact that I can fit a 61MP body with 3 Baits primes into a small 6L Peak Design sling bag is how I want to carry my photography gear going forward. I can fit the A6700, the Sigma zoom and the 3 primes into my smallest 14 year old Domke shoulder bag that is about the same size as the 6L PD. Both bags with lenses weigh about 5 to 6 pounds each and because of that I am carrying my camera with me more than before. One of the 2 bags is always with me now, which was not always the case before I went compact.

Jul 02, 2024 at 10:48 AM
foto16
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Downgrade from A7RV to A7CII

Avarios wrote:
Hello everyone, am I crazy?
Currently I own: Sony Alpha 7RV (which I acquired very inexpensively)
Tamron 35-150
Tamron 28-200
Tamron 28-75 G2
Sony 16-35 PZ F4

80% of the time I take photos on vacation, the rest on hikes or city trips/business trips.The 35-150 is barely used cause its too heavy. I'm generally satisfied with my camera, but more and more two points are bothering me:

- ME! I don't really take advantage of the 61MP, hardly any cropping. I don't print anything out. I publish my photos on my website, WhatsApp status and Instagram. It's my hobby.

- The camera and equipment:
...Show more

"7CII, the 20-70 F4, Tamron 70-300 and a prime lens for street/night." This is a fine combo. If you don't want to go through too much selling and buying, I think you can just sell A7RV and 35-150, get a A7II and use it with your Tamron 28-200, Tamron 28-75 G2, and Sony 16-35 PZ F4. Maybe add a Samyang 35/1.8 or 45/1.8 for street/night (they are light).

Jul 02, 2024 at 12:34 PM
patotts
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Downgrade from A7RV to A7CII

I mean, if you are not married to Sony, getting some type of Fujifilm with a couple of primes and one zoom might be a good option as well. Personally, I don't like/trust the Fuji AF system as much as Sony, but they are fine image makers.

Jul 02, 2024 at 01:53 PM
Surfnsun
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Downgrade from A7RV to A7CII

Try the new camera. You only live once and switching back is easy.

Jul 02, 2024 at 02:07 PM
PaulMoorePhoto
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Downgrade from A7RV to A7CII

That doesnít sound crazy at all. I upgraded from an A7Rii to an A7IV and Iím not thrilled about the size and weight increase, so I get it. Being comfortable with your gear is important.

I have the 20-70 and I like it a lot. If I were in the market now Iíd seriously consider the 24-50 also. Both seem to be good options.

I agree with others about trying the A7Cii form factor first, before going all in. Make sure it works for you because it clearly doesnít for some people.

Jul 02, 2024 at 03:48 PM
Palmguy
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Downgrade from A7RV to A7CII

I'll echo those saying to try out the C body if you can. I have the RV and CII; really like the CII but it is different. It certainly is pleasant to carry around with a small zoom like the 24-50 or a small prime like the 40G.

Jul 02, 2024 at 04:02 PM
azfreemans

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Downgrade from A7RV to A7CII

There are times when I want the bigger body, and there are times when I don't. For me, a "C" body is great to have in addition to a larger one. If I'm being deliberate with my photography (not trying to capture a "moment" or an event) and I'm traveling, my original A7c is fantastic! I recently shot Santa Fe with it, the new 16-25G, and the 40G. I was super happy with the experience, and that camera's existence is driving me to sell off my Fujifilm cameras (except for the X-E3 - that camera is a keeper - and it has a joystick). I've had the A7C for three years, and part of me wants to upgrade to the A7cR for the crop-ability, but there is nothing really lacking from that experience.

If I'm trying to capture an event, then a larger body with a great EVF and a joystick is a must. You will miss both of those on occasion, so I'd recommend adding a "c" model as a second body before you sell your A7RV.

Jul 02, 2024 at 05:09 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.