Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Shocking?

LarryBeemer
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shocking?

Kinda....but not really.

I have been able to participate in the weekly and monthly assignments over the years with no problem. However, every time I try here lately I get an error message saying something to the effect of "image can not be downloaded to the weekly/monthly assignment". I am doing nothing different than I've done before. The image is sized properly according to the rules. I have contacted @fredmiranda@ to try and resolve this issue but have never received a response. Another member here has tried offering help as well, even trying to contact @fredmiranda@ on my behalf, but the issue remains. As you can see here, I am able to post images in the "normal" topics, just not in the assignment topics. It's not that I'm concerned with winning the assignment, although it certainly does feel nice to do so, I just find it aggravating that it seems I'm being denied the opportunity to participate.

This image was destined for the "Orange" monthly assignment but it was denied. Since I went to all the trouble of creating the image, I guess y'all are stuck with looking at it. It ain't much and would probably not be a contender, but maybe I would get a participation trophy at the very least. Or not.

Rant over.

LB

Jun 24, 2024 at 09:05 AM
Tom In Arizona
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shocking?

Hi Larry...

The only thing I can think of is the WA has an 800 pixel maximum on the longest side of the image. Check your sizing and try reposting it to the WA.

Tom

Jun 24, 2024 at 09:59 AM
LarryBeemer
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shocking?

Tom In Arizona wrote:
Hi Larry...

The only thing I can think of is the WA has an 800 pixel maximum on the longest side of the image. Check your sizing and try reposting it to the WA.

Tom

Tom, thanks for your suggestion.
I am aware of and followed the posting rules for both the WA and MA....800px on the long side. This is my third or fourth attempt over the last 6-8 weeks or so....2-3 times for the WA and this was the first attempt for the MA.

This "denial" started at about the same time some changes were made to the coding for the assignment boards (and perhaps the whole forum). Without hearing from Fred it's only speculation as to why this is happening.

LB

Jun 24, 2024 at 10:51 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shocking?

I feel your frustration Larry!
Your compositions should be presentable on the WA/MA assignments without errors.

I will try again!
Dan
Beauitful composition here! It has been brutally hot and humid here for weeks. No rain and the grass is burned up and if I dont water my flowers, trees and plants they will be also!
Dan

Edited on Jun 26, 2024 at 02:46 PM · View previous versions

Jun 26, 2024 at 10:34 AM
The_Thin_Man

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shocking?

Hi Larry,

I too wish for more out of this site. It's early 2000s vibe is charming but is painfully outdated and needs a full overhaul in a bad way. I'm actually pretty surprised more people aren't clamoring for this.

Also, wonderful work! Nicely executed.

Jun 26, 2024 at 02:20 PM
LarryBeemer
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shocking?

The_Thin_Man wrote:
Hi Larry,

I too wish for more out of this site. It's early 2000s vibe is charming but is painfully outdated and needs a full overhaul in a bad way. I'm actually pretty surprised more people aren't clamoring for this.

Also, wonderful work! Nicely executed.

TTM,
Just curious...what changes to the forum would you like to see? What would make it less "painfully outdated"?

I first became a member here in '02 and was pretty active, especially in the sports section. I was forced out of my photography business due to small town politics in '06 and had to leave the industry. I allowed my membership here to "expired" at that time. I landed in the trucking industry and stayed there until I retired in 2020. I had a grand illusion of re-entering the photography industry at that time and re-joined this forum to catch up on how things had changed. While the folks here have been very accommodating, helpful, and receptive of an old has been, my grand illusion has turned out to be just that....an illusion.

I really have no other issue with this site other than not being able to participate in either of the assignments any more. It works fine for me 99 percent of the time. I especially like the part where posts are bumped back to the top of the list when there is new activity, unlike most other online communities where posts quickly scroll off the bottom of the page never to be seen again. I also like the fact I can search for things to see if they have already been covered.

The issue I am having right now with the assignment boards reared it's ugly head only recently....within the last 6-8 weeks. I'm sure Fred figures it's something I am not doing correctly since NOBODY ELSE is having the same issue. I get that. It seems like it's only a "me" thing to me too. I'm doing the exact same thing I've always done in the past when posting an entry to an assignment. Something has changed. Perhaps it's something that changed with my website host...? Although, obviously I am still able to post images in all the other topics. I may never know....

LB

Jun 26, 2024 at 04:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shocking?

This information is on the Weekly Assignment rules...
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/assignment_rules.htm

"Your submission MUST have exactly 800 pixels for its longest dimension (no less, no more). Since entries can have a maximum dimension size of 800 pixels, it's advisable to keep them free of frames. However, Upload & Sell members may use the preset frames as they won't affect image size."

If enough people request it, we could think about increasing the size.

Jun 26, 2024 at 06:01 PM
LarryBeemer
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Shocking?

Fred Miranda wrote:
This information is on the Weekly Assignment rules...
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/assignment_rules.htm

"Your submission MUST have exactly 800 pixels for its longest dimension (no less, no more). Since entries can have a maximum dimension size of 800 pixels, it's advisable to keep them free of frames. However, Upload & Sell members may use the preset frames as they won't affect image size."

If enough people request it, we could think about increasing the size.

Fred,

Thanks for responding.

I am well aware of the size restraints. I have always prepared an image with 800px on the longest dimension for use exclusively on the assignment posts. Until recently, as I have stated, I have never had an issue.

At their request, I sent such an image to another member a few weeks back as a test. He was able to post that image from his "source" to the assignment page with zero problems.

Any other ideas?

LB

Jun 26, 2024 at 08:08 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Shocking?

LarryBeemer wrote:
Fred,

Thanks for responding.

I am well aware of the size restraints. I have always prepared an image with 800px on the longest dimension for use exclusively on the assignment posts. Until recently, as I have stated, I have never had an issue.

At their request, I sent such an image to another member a few weeks back as a test. He was able to post that image from his "source" to the assignment page with zero problems.

Any other ideas?

LB

I see. If your image was taken during the assignment window and has the correct dimensions, the only explanation for the code rejecting it is that it's not saved with the EXIF data. Make sure that when you resize your image and save it as a JPG, the EXIF data is not stripped from the file. Without that information, the code can't read the parameters of the file.

But since you mentioned that another member was able to get this working correctly, it could be an issue with your browser. Could you please try using a different browser?

Jun 26, 2024 at 08:14 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Shocking?

Hi Larry, since your "upload & sell" status is off, I'm assuming you are trying to post your image as hosted elsewhere. If this is the case, then perhaps the code is corrupt. If you can, try to find a free hosting site to see if that can help you troubleshoot. I like your image!

opps, after a refresh, I see Fred is on the case. Nevermind, except the part about your image.

Jun 26, 2024 at 09:07 PM
LarryBeemer
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Shocking?

gregfountain wrote:
Hi Larry, since your "upload & sell" status is off, I'm assuming you are trying to post your image as hosted elsewhere. If this is the case, then perhaps the code is corrupt. If you can, try to find a free hosting site to see if that can help you troubleshoot. I like your image!

opps, after a refresh, I see Fred is on the case. Nevermind, except the part about your image.

Greg,

I do not subscribe to the upload/sell option.

One week I could post to the assignment topic and the next week I couldn't. I did nothing any different.

Thanks for the kind words regarding my image. Personally I am pretty much disappointed with it. I was unable to freeze the motion/explosion of the powder like I wanted to, even after watching quite a number of videos that explained how to do it.

But at least it's orange....

LB

Jun 27, 2024 at 02:09 PM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.