FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Bees, a Beetle, and a Spider

Dalantech
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bees, a Beetle, and a Spider

As the weather gets warmer it's getting tougher to find lethargic subjects. Even though I'm shooting before I go to work, around 6am, the critters are already on the move and looking for breakfast.

Tech specs for all images: Canon 90D (F11 to F16, 1/125, ISO 200 to 400) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set from 1x to 2x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT, manual mode, power level variable. These are single frames taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Photo AI and Clarity in that order.

Identified as a Hippodamia variegata, the Variegated Lady Beetle. I found this one on a Dandelion.

Lady Beetle III by John Kimbler, on Flickr

There were several crab spiders hunting on the dandelions out at the farm, and this solitary bee had a bad day. This is only the second time I've seen a Napoleon Spider, named for the pattern on their abdomen that looks like the emperor's hat.

Crab Spider with Prey by John Kimbler, on Flickr

This hard working female mason bee is putting the finishing touches on a nesting tube.

Nesting Female Mason Bee by John Kimbler, on Flickr

I think that this might be a type of Scissor Bee (Chelostoma), but I'm not sure. I found it snoozing in a flower.

Small Solitary Bee by John Kimbler, on Flickr

I caught, what I think is a Hairy Legged Mining Bee (Dasypoda hirtipes), snoozing in some grass.

Hairy Legged Mining Bee by John Kimbler, on Flickr

C&C welcome.

Jun 19, 2024 at 01:56 AM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bees, a Beetle, and a Spider

Up to your normal high-quality captures, John!
Douglas

Jun 19, 2024 at 06:51 AM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bees, a Beetle, and a Spider

douter wrote:
Up to your normal high-quality captures, John!
Douglas

Thanks Douglas!

Jun 19, 2024 at 02:51 PM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.