Username  

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Help selecting a lens

mjeffv2

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help selecting a lens

I'm looking at getting into macro photography more and snagging a dedicated lens since the extension tubes I got are pretty meh. Here's what I'm looking at:

- Laowa 90mm 2x Macro

- Sigma 105mm f2.8 (already have the f1.4 and love it)

- Sony 90mm Macro

Any recs on which would be best to go with intitially? I'm really stuck deciding between getting 2x macro but with manual focus or 1:1 but with auto focus.

Thanks!

Jun 18, 2024 at 07:16 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help selecting a lens

Most macro lenses in the focal range you're talking about are very good. There was nothing wrong with your extension tubes, only that whatever lens you used them with was not designed to be used with tubes - actually most lenses will not work well with tubes due to the extensions end up putting the floating elements in the wrong place and degrade the images.

The Sigma 105mm 1.4 is indeed fab, but it has nothing to do with the Sigma macro other than sharing a name. You probably do not need auto focus on a macro unless you're planning on doing automated focus stacking but you can still focus stack effectively with manual lenses. And don't worry too much about which lens you get first, and I say first, because you will likely not stop at one macro. I have around eight or nine. It's just like guitars. They keep having babies and don't let you know. They just show up.

If I were you I'd probably lean toward the Laowa 2X to be able to go all the way to double life size. Just remember that at 100 percent life sized, your f/11 loses two stops and is now f/22, and at 200 percent - double life sized, you lose another stop on top of the two at life sized. Diffraction is a real detail killing problem in macro, so consider that when you're shooting. Macro is a blast. Have fun.

Jun 19, 2024 at 11:11 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help selecting a lens

There a lot of hysteria about diffraction in macro, mostly by those quoting others, who, in turn, were quoting others. I have been shooting macro daily for decades and don't find it a problem. It is easily corrected by adjusting micro contrast in such as Topaz Detail or Topaz Clarity, or the latest equivalents (I have the very adequate original version, no longer available).

There are hundreds of my images here in earlier years.

Harold

Jun 23, 2024 at 12:49 PM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.