New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Buying older lighting gear

buschman068
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Buying older lighting gear

Like to get opinions on buying an older lighting equipment like an used Speedotron D240. I have seen one at a local pawnshop for $50. Comes with pwr pack, two umbellas, two stands, two lights and the original case. I did plug it in and popped one of the heads. After reading up on powering the pack maybe that wasnt a good idea.

I will read up on how to use it for digital cameras but I can always use it for my medium format TLR.

Would it be something to buy or just leave it where it is and let someone else deal with it? DEAL or NO DEAL?

Jun 16, 2024 at 12:37 PM
tonyespofoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Buying older lighting gear

You are missing 1 digit on the model number. Like maybe 2403. Any of the 2400 series models have 2400ws of power. Speedotron made 2 lines, the Black Line and the Brown line. If this is a Black Line pack, you have made quite a find. By comparison, a Canon or Nikon speedlight has about 50 ws. Back in the day, these were renouned for their power and reliability. They could recycle very quickly. Any time you needed a lot of light, for example, lighting a group of 250-500 subjects, using large softboxes for quality illumination. Other than weight , bulk and totally manual operation (you'll probably want/need a light meter), there are no downsides, $50 is quite a bargain. Brown line was lighter and would recycle much more slowly. Either would last a lifetme of professional use. If you purchase, 1 VERY IMPORTANT THING: DO NOT UNPLUG A LIGHT UNIT WHILE THE PACK IS TURNED ON. Also, it has probably not been used for a while. To reform the capacitors, attach a light unit, turn it on and leave it for maybe 24 hours before flashing. Also, on normal recycle, they draw considerable power and will trip a 15amp circuit. Best to use it on a 20amp circuit. Slow recycle will draw less power. Thirty years ago, this was state-of-the-art lighting. The best money could buy.

Jun 16, 2024 at 02:15 PM
jlafferty
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Buying older lighting gear

tonyespofoto wrote:
You are missing 1 digit on the model number. Like maybe 2403.

They likely meant the brown line D402.

Jun 16, 2024 at 04:06 PM
jlafferty
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Buying older lighting gear

To be completely honest, for my work there are too many drawbacks going old vs. new. But... if I had a situation where I was either a hobbyist, or had a stationary, indoor business, cheap Speedos would make a fine investment. They are simply put great lights, if we're just talking about quality of light, recycle time, output power for the dollar. Just not my thing.

Jun 16, 2024 at 04:09 PM
tcphoto
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Buying older lighting gear

I'm surprised the capacitors didn't explode, they need to be plugged in at least once a month and popped a few times to remain healthy. My first kit was a 2401A and I killed it by shooting too fast while connected to a generator outdoors, it made a loud bang...

At $50, the Blackline flash heads alone are worth more.

Jun 17, 2024 at 09:51 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.