Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Vela Supernova Remnant

bballfreak6
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Vela Supernova Remnant

Vela Supernova Remnant by Tony, on Flickr

Vela Supernova Remnant (over 800 light years away and exploded around 11000 years ago) taken from the driveway at home under Bortle 5 sky; we've been getting an unbelievable run of clear nights here in Brisbane so I've been busy trying to get as much time on the target as I can. Unfortunately the Supernova sets quite early now so even with the clear nights there's not much time to shoot. This is actually a 2 panel stitch with the goal of making a 4 panel mosaic; so far total integration time's about 13 hours all up with roughly 6.5 hours of light on each panel. I actually still want to put more time onto each panel so far but I don't think it'll be possible if I want any chance of finishing the mosaic this season...

Jun 14, 2024 at 06:20 AM
tntcorp1
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Vela Supernova Remnant

voted; awesome image. so much out there beyond our imagination.

hope you can finish the mosaic!

Jun 14, 2024 at 10:05 AM
Sashi
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Vela Supernova Remnant

OMG, thanks for sharing this awesome image. Echo @tntcopr1's thoughts and hope that you complete the mosaic and share with us.

Jun 14, 2024 at 10:15 AM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Vela Supernova Remnant

Very special capture, fantastic work, congrats,,,

Jun 14, 2024 at 02:28 PM
bballfreak6
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Vela Supernova Remnant

Appreciated guys, moon is getting bigger so I might be waiting until close to next new moon to start shooting it again (as I am doing a mosaic I want to keep the subs somewhat consistent and don't want to start introducing too much gradients etc even if I am shooting with a dual narrowband filter). If I am lucky (and if weather allows) I might only get about 2 hours a night the supernova is up in the sky for me at next new moon, makes me wonder if I should just keep adding data to what I have for now and finish the mosaic next season. As it is I was surprised at how much I was able to pull out at just 6-7 hours on each panel considering how faint the signal is with this target (individual 5 min subs at ISO 400 with my Ha modified Canon 77D with the narrowband filter the un-stretched raw files are literally a black frame with speckles of stars).

Jun 14, 2024 at 05:41 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.