FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Peregrine Falcoln Family on Mississippi River Bridge

dj63401
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Peregrine Falcoln Family on Mississippi River Bridge

Video of the Peregrine Falcon family of Hannibal, Mo. This was videoed from about 1/4 mile away, and the nesting area is 1/3 of the way out into the river, affecting image quality with heat waves among other issues. Since the fall of 2018, I have photographed adult Peregrine Falcons near the Mark Twain Bridge over the Mississippi River . A local Peregrine Falcon lover alerted me that there were 3 young Falcons eyases (chicks) hatched this year under the bridge, on the top of a pier out in the Mississippi River. The Falcons have nested under the bridge and have attempted to raise young the last few years. This video and stills is my first ever of the young Peregrine Falcons. Also in the video is Mom and Dad at times bringing food, feeding and watching after the family. At the end is a good wing stretch view of one of the chicks!
Canon R5 RF 200-800 RF 1.4X 4k crop mode and additional cropping

Jun 11, 2024 at 04:56 AM
dclark
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Peregrine Falcoln Family on Mississippi River Bridge

Good video in spite of the distant location.
It will be interesting to see what happens when they fledge. How will the parents teach them to hunt? How far away is their hunting area?

Jun 11, 2024 at 10:53 AM
dj63401
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Peregrine Falcoln Family on Mississippi River Bridge

Right there at the bridge is a ripe hunting area.
Many, many small birds live on the bridge and the woodlands next to the shores of the Mississippi River.
I talked to a wildlife expert from World Bird Sanctuary in St Louis in 2019 after we got the Highway Dept to delay cleaning under the bridge in the area they were nesting. He said it would be rare for them to survive the first flight if not very close to shore, because they usually do a controlled crash.
A local lady has spearheaded getting two nesting boxes installed, one on the bridge within 50 feet of the Missouri shore, and one on top of a tall pole about 75 feet from the shore line on land in Missouri.
They have never used these two boxes. They like what they like.

Jun 11, 2024 at 11:04 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.