New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Hike to O'Hara worth it?

GroovyGeek
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hike to O'Hara worth it?

Yes, yes, the jewel of the Rockies, what kind of a stupid question is this...

But bear with me. When you look at images of this place 95% of them are from the Opabin Prospect, another 2-3% are from All Souls Prospect and the rest are miscellaneous from the huts.

If I do hike the 11km starting at 5am so, I am definitely not going to Opabin. The world needs another pic of that about as much as it needs another pic of The Wave or The Pile on Moraine. I actually like the comp from All Souls better, and perhaps even Odaray Grandview.

But they all feel so prototypical Banff, and something you can get at many other places there. For those that have been there, am I being unreasonable? Is it THAT much better than the miryads of other opportunities in that area to be worth a 30km day?

Jun 11, 2024 at 01:15 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hike to O'Hara worth it?

Lake ohara is a very special place with many photographic opportunities. It’s only your vision that will stop you from getting some amazing photos. Would I hike in/out to get these photos…not a chance. The hike is on a road with no scenery to speak of…total waste of time. Also, in October when you want to go there might be substantial snow on the upper trails making some quite risky.

Jun 11, 2024 at 08:19 AM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hike to O'Hara worth it?

chez wrote:
Lake ohara is a very special place with many photographic opportunities. It’s only your vision that will stop you from getting some amazing photos. Would I hike in/out to get these photos…not a chance. The hike is on a road with no scenery to speak of…total waste of time. Also, in October when you want to go there might be substantial snow on the upper trails making some quite risky.

Thx, bringing microspikes and possibly even an ice axe was always in the plan. Yes the hike is dull but easy, I have done half of it on snowshoes in the winter just to convince myself that there is nothing down that road - the topo map had me thinking that there are open views to be had of Cathedral Mountain about halfway in. Will try to see if I can snag a cancelation, if not I will have to decide on the spot whether to go for it. If I start at 5am I can do the 11km by 7am, spend the day on the trails, then hike out in the dark and be back at the car by 9pm.

Jun 11, 2024 at 08:50 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hike to O'Hara worth it?

I’ve had some luck just showing up for the first bus in and getting a seat. Either someone did not show or the ranger took pity on me and gave me a seat.

Jun 12, 2024 at 07:54 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hike to O'Hara worth it?

chez wrote:
I’ve had some luck just showing up for the first bus in and getting a seat. Either someone did not show or the ranger took pity on me and gave me a seat.

Good tip, but the first bus is at 8:30am I think. I should be able to hike the 11km in roughly 2 hrs, and get myself a guaranteed shot at some early morning light. If the weather forecast is iffy I may give this a try if I can't snag an official cancelation.

Jun 13, 2024 at 02:33 AM
mike reid
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hike to O'Hara worth it?

I camped there for six years in late Sept and finally got a Lodge reservation for the last two years. I'm going again this Sept.

The reason I keep going back is the relative solitude and lack of tourbus masses.

There is a lot more to the area beyond Opabin and such. The road in is pretty boring but you'll definitely want to get the bus for the earliest start.

Some from the past years: https://mikereidphotography.com/Banff%20Lake%20OHara%20and%20Canadian%20Rockies%20Photography/index.html

Jun 13, 2024 at 12:43 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hike to O'Hara worth it?

Thanks for sharing your images. Will have to look at them when I am in front of a real monitor.

When is the earliest bus? I am having trouble finding a publisher shuttle schedule. There was a blog that said 830am first bus and 530pm last. That is pretty limiting. If the forecast is promising I would rather hike 22km extra to be able to arrive early and depart late.

mike reid wrote:
I camped there for six years in late Sept and finally got a Lodge reservation for the last two years. I'm going again this Sept.

The reason I keep going back is the relative solitude and lack of tourbus masses.

There is a lot more to the area beyond Opabin and such. The road in is pretty boring but you'll definitely want to get the bus for the earliest start.

Some from the past years: https://mikereidphotography.com/Banff%20Lake%20OHara%20and%20Canadian%20Rockies%20Photography/index.html

Jun 13, 2024 at 12:54 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Hike to O'Hara worth it?

Don’t underestimate the golden glow of the larches during midday. I have some great images of these glowing larches during high noon.

Now I don’t know if the larches will be done by the first week of October. We’ve been having odd weather the last few years and with little precipitation and warmer than usual weather, I have no idea how that affects the larches. I’ve been into O’hara the last week in September and the larches were in their prime.

Jun 14, 2024 at 06:42 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.