New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Bird Of Prey

eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bird Of Prey

By way of introduction, I'm mainly a NYC street and portrait photographer, long time Olympus user. Given my home address, I don't often have the opportunity to shoot interesting birds in flight. However, this past weekend I was out of the city staying by a beach and was able to try my hand at photographing birds. This past April I upgraded from my OM1 Mark 1 to an OM1 Mark 2, the latest model. The reason I did this was because of the advertised upgraded ability of the new model to focus on people using a more advanced Ai capability. In testing the new camera, I found that feature to work well on the street, earning me more keepers. So I was eager to try the camera out on birds in flight. Frankly, I was amazed at how well the new model works shooting birds. Here's an example, and thanks OM Systems.

PS Anyone know what species of bird this is?

Steve

SteveSchulmanPhotography 2023

Bird Of Prey

Jun 10, 2024 at 10:36 PM
TT1000
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bird Of Prey

Iím no ornithologist but it looks like an Osprey with half a fish (bluefish?). Merlin is a good and free app for bird identification.

https://merlin.allaboutbirds.org/

Jun 10, 2024 at 11:18 PM
pingflood
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bird Of Prey

Yes, definitely osprey--one of the most widespread birds of prey I believe. Can be found all over the world.

Jun 11, 2024 at 01:22 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bird Of Prey

Thanks TT1000 and Pingflood for pinpointing the bird species. What a beautiful creature.

Steve

Jun 11, 2024 at 09:02 AM
ElvisD
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bird Of Prey

Definitely an osprey.

What is interesting to me is that the fish has been eaten from the tail end. Every osprey I have ever witnessed eating a fish has started from the head. That's along the southeast coast.

If that in fact is a bluefish, perhaps the local osprey have learned to stay away from those very sharp teeth until it is dead.

Nice shot.

Jun 11, 2024 at 10:44 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bird Of Prey

Nice image of the Osprey Steve. This type of flight photo is about the easiest for any camera with nothing in the background and a rather predictable bird.

Morris

Jun 11, 2024 at 10:52 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Bird Of Prey

ElvisD wrote:
Definitely an osprey.

What is interesting to me is that the fish has been eaten from the tail end. Every osprey I have ever witnessed eating a fish has started from the head. That's along the southeast coast.

If that in fact is a bluefish, perhaps the local osprey have learned to stay away from those very sharp teeth until it is dead.

Nice shot.

Thanks Elvis. Re: starting from the tail, maybe Northeastern Ospreys have different dietary habits.

Steve

Jun 11, 2024 at 09:10 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Bird Of Prey

morris wrote:
Nice image of the Osprey Steve. This type of flight photo is about the easiest for any camera with nothing in the background and a rather predictable bird.

Morris

Appreciate your info Morris. It's my first foray into bird photography. I was shooting from the top of a bluff so the sky was the only backdrop I had to deal with. The camera seemed to lock on easily and quickly to the subject at hand. Not sure how it would react if there were multiple birds in the sky, or if there was vegetation somewhat hiding the bird. From what I've read though, Olympus cameras have a good reputation with bird photographers.

Steve

Jun 11, 2024 at 09:17 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Bird Of Prey

I knew you could do it! Your street photography is excellent!

Osprey for sure, and a great capture as overhead shots aren't all that easy on exposure nor eye contact. I have heard of some birds of prey removing the non essentials of feeding to lighten the load to carry. Hope you find more to capture and share here Steve, congrats on the new gear

Karl

Jun 11, 2024 at 10:07 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Bird Of Prey

eeneryma wrote:
Appreciate your info Morris. It's my first foray into bird photography. I was shooting from the top of a bluff so the sky was the only backdrop I had to deal with. The camera seemed to lock on easily and quickly to the subject at hand. Not sure how it would react if there were multiple birds in the sky, or if there was vegetation somewhat hiding the bird. From what I've read though, Olympus cameras have a good reputation with bird photographers.

Steve

Yes they are very good Steve and you did well. Are you going to do more?

Morris

Jun 12, 2024 at 06:55 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Bird Of Prey

Karl Witt wrote:
I knew you could do it! Your street photography is excellent!

Osprey for sure, and a great capture as overhead shots aren't all that easy on exposure nor eye contact. I have heard of some birds of prey removing the non essentials of feeding to lighten the load to carry. Hope you find more to capture and share here Steve, congrats on the new gear

Karl

Thanks Karl. Much appreciated! Interesting explanation for the 1/2 fish.

Jun 12, 2024 at 08:53 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Bird Of Prey

morris wrote:
Yes they are very good Steve and you did well. Are you going to do more?

Morris

Unfortunately, my Greenwich Village address doesnít lend itself to bird photography. Although someone in my apartment building told me yesterday that we have a hawk living in a nest on the roof of our building. With my geographic location, people are my photographic targets. 😀
Steve

Jun 12, 2024 at 08:57 AM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.