New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Using a 20W LED as a hair light

ndwgolf1
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Using a 20W LED as a hair light

Ive just bought a Zhiyun M20C LED to hopefully use as a hair/back light with my 2 x Profoto B1 strobes. I don't want to have to buy another Profoto........., when I look back and see what I paid for all that Profoto gear 5 years ago it makes me cringe.

Ive been banging it around in my head to try and get a rental space to set up a permanent studio but Fon (my Girlfriend) thinks it crazy (she's probably right) because right now when we are doing any studio stuff either in my bedroom, dining room and the last one in the living room (maybe 2 times 3 times a month max)...............yes its a pain in the a** to bring the backdrop out and to set up the lights but in reality it only takes 5 minutes max.

So I was thinking of using the LED as a hair light then use the strip box as a fill light in front

This shot below I took in my dining room with a 1.2 mt strip box hanging over Fons head as a hair light a beauty dish in front and above at about a 20 from camera with a silver reflector in front on the floor (I shot this in TTL) ...........

I love the way this turned out accept there isn't enough light on Fons arms so that's why I'm thinking of switching out the strip box for the LED light or maybe use the LED and reflector in combo

What do the gang recommend?

Ohh I also had the defuser on the silver beauty dish

Jun 10, 2024 at 08:28 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Using a 20W LED as a hair light

I think if you move the strip light to the front and use it as a fill, you're going to lose that great light on her face. I think that having your fill card on the floor, if that's my understanding, is not so effective. Maybe move it up a couple of feet but not so much that it kills your shadows. Honestly, I don't see anything here that can't be fixed by a couple of curves adjustment layers and some masking, plus some judicious and very soft cloning to take care of the shine on her forehead.

Jun 10, 2024 at 10:29 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.