New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

ON1 opinions?

524f44
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · ON1 opinions?

Well after Adobe's missteps last week, I decided it just might be time to move on. ON1 looks to be a worthy option. I downloaded the 30 day trial, and am giving it a workout. I'm impressed favorably so far. The TOS looks pretty good, https://www.on1.com/company/terms/, and the privacy policy is quite reasonable. https://www.on1.com/company/privacy/

I was impressed at the speed (5-10s) of the sharpening, noise reduction, on a 47Mpix Leica Q2 Mono, image. And the quality of the image was quite good for a 10000 ISO image. Disappointed that there is no lens correction for the Q2M, nor does there seem to be a contrast curve tool such as LrCs. (maybe I haven't found it. I only have 1-2 hours of cockpit time)

Your thoughts and experience.....

--
Rod

Jun 10, 2024 at 01:46 PM
bjhurley
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · ON1 opinions?

524f44 wrote:
nor does there seem to be a contrast curve tool such as LrCs. (maybe I haven't found it. I only have 1-2 hours of cockpit time)

The curves tool is in the Effects panel (click on effects, then Add Filter, and you'll find it among the other "effects")...basically think of tools like this as having their own layer. Note, however, that I don't see any curve for luma only. You either get ganged RGB or the individual R, G, and B channels. I like having the ability to adjust the luma curve alone so this is a ding against the software in my book.

I bought ON1 during one of their sales at a bargain price and use it occasionally, mainly when I want to use LUTs or special effects, play around with textures, etc. It seems aimed mainly at people who like to do radical postprocessing on their images, like sky replacement, which I never do, but on the other hand you can do all the basics with it as well.

I find some of its retouching tools a bit primitive compared with what I'm used to with Capture One, and it lacks features like Capture One's ProStandard profiles for different cameras (which improve skin tones and generally result in a range of small improvements), but overall I find it useful. It does have an impressive noise reduction tool.

The one thing that stuck in my craw when I bought it was that while you have access to some basic free tutorials, if you want to go more in-depth in terms of learning you have to spring for the higher tier of membership, which is subscription-based. I subscribe to plenty of software, but having to subscribe in order to learn the software I bought rubbed me the wrong way.

Jun 10, 2024 at 02:00 PM
forgas

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · ON1 opinions?

I've been using ON1 for a while now. I quit Adobe when they went subscription many moons ago.
Tried a lot of the others and ON1 is now my favorite. I really like their RAW denoise . I mainly shoot
birds and wildlife and grandkids running around. The subject selection tool is pretty good. I usually just crop,
denoise, select subject and do a Dynamic Contrast adjustment then export as a jpeg.

Jun 10, 2024 at 02:55 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · ON1 opinions?

It's on my list if Adobe ever ticks me off. NoNoise was pretty good used it as a plug-in but it did break down a little at higher ISO's. Sometimes it had better detail than DXO but the colour could be a bit off from the original. I'm sure it has improved since then and now they added Tack Sharp. I've never tried it but having everything under one roof is appealing.

Jun 10, 2024 at 04:09 PM
jwpstl
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · ON1 opinions?

Iíve been trying On1 and overall I think itís pretty good. You can ignore all the presets and use it as a full featured raw processor. I am a bit underwhelmed by the asset management tools so I hope those improve with time.

Jun 10, 2024 at 04:30 PM
524f44
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · ON1 opinions?

bjhurley wrote:
The curves tool is in the Effects panel (click on effects, then Add Filter, and you'll find it among the other "effects")...basically think of tools like this as having their own layer.

Thanks, you saved me a BUNCH of time trying to find that. I'm sensing the UI paradigm a bit more like Ps with layers, tools and all.This will take some effort on my part. I never really caught on to Ps.

The one thing that stuck in my craw when I bought it was that while you have access to some basic free tutorials, if you want to go more in-depth in terms of learning you have to spring for the higher tier of membership, which is subscription-based. I subscribe to plenty of software, but having to subscribe in order to learn the software I bought rubbed me the wrong way.

I hear you, there should be more than one way to access resources like this.

--
Rod

Jun 10, 2024 at 04:51 PM
Steve Beck
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · ON1 opinions?

I switched to on1 and affinity suite when Adobe blocked me from buying their stuff. Issue is the upgrade price for on1 every year works out about the same as lr sub price. I use on1 but never just really jive with it. Compared to my old edits on lr they on1 seems cartoonish to my eye.

Jun 10, 2024 at 09:19 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · ON1 opinions?

Steve Beck wrote:
I switched to on1 and affinity suite when Adobe blocked me from buying their stuff. Issue is the upgrade price for on1 every year works out about the same as lr sub price. I use on1 but never just really jive with it. Compared to my old edits on lr they on1 seems cartoonish to my eye.

How do you get blocked from buying anything?

Jun 10, 2024 at 10:40 PM
Steve Beck
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · ON1 opinions?

Zenon Char wrote:
How do you get blocked from buying anything?

Well, they didnít block just me. Adobe gives you the privilege of leasing their software and never owning it. Lol I did skip this 2024 version of on1. Iíll probably upgrade in October when 2025 comes out. I think the new tools and options for them right is about a 2 year upgrade cycle. This is for my use anyway.

Jun 11, 2024 at 05:35 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

bjhurley
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · ON1 opinions?

Steve Beck wrote:
Well, they didnít block just me. Adobe gives you the privilege of leasing their software and never owning it. .

If you look at the license agreement for any software, you'll discover that you don't actually own any of the software you use, even the operating system of your computer. You only have a right to use it, you don't own it. All we own is the hardware. I guess if you use free, open-source software on Linux you could claim to own your software but even then you'd have to see if there's a license agreement.

Jun 11, 2024 at 06:02 AM
jwpstl
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · ON1 opinions?

Thatís an oldie but poor argument. Yes, itís true, you donít own the software based on the license but in practice you do. No one has ever come and taken away any software with a perpetual license Iíve purchased. So in essence, I own it.

bjhurley wrote:
If you look at the license agreement for any software, you'll discover that you don't actually own any of the software you use, even the operating system of your computer. You only have a right to use it, you don't own it. All we own is the hardware. I guess if you use free, open-source software on Linux you could claim to own your software but even then you'd have to see if there's a license agreement.

Jun 11, 2024 at 09:13 AM
armd
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · ON1 opinions?

I would largely agree with the impressions and would add the following observations. On a favorable note, the workflow is quick and easy, and it doesn't require cataloging for operation. PR is not a pixel editor and while it is faster at some things, the lack of pixel editing limits the blending modes and other operations. In other words, one can't do certain things which are easily accomplished in LR/PS.

Also, it is much more GPU resource intensive than LR/PS and has more bugs/crashes than LR/PS. PR doesn't deal well with large imports or large numbers of images in a folder - it crashes. The tools are primitive compared to other software and frequently lag or produce artifact.

The NoNoiseAI NR is a good tool and is better at color noise management than Topaz, though its defaults drive me crazy, and it doesn't remember last used settings. However, unlike Topaz where sharpening/NR can be selectively applied and stacked, NoNoiseAI applies NR and/or sharpening to the entire image. There are some workarounds which require layers and multiple applications though it is neither quick, easy, and creates unnecessary work.

PR lacks a generative fill or advanced AI unlike LR/PS and its selection tools are likewise elementary. Purportedly, better masking is coming with the new iteration, though we'll have to see how it works in the real world.

My overall assessment of PR is that it seems to be a reasonable alternative to LR/PS if one recognizes the limitations, constraints, perpetual "beta" like performance, etc. If it were priced like Affinity, then it would seem more reasonable, though the "plus" plan which includes education, etc. makes it more expensive than a basic Adobe subscription.

Jun 12, 2024 at 10:19 AM
524f44
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · ON1 opinions?

armd wrote:
...PR is not a pixel editor and while it is faster at some things,...

PR?

--
Rod

Jun 12, 2024 at 01:32 PM
armd
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · ON1 opinions?

524f44 wrote:
PR?

--
Rod

Photo Raw

Jun 12, 2024 at 03:59 PM
amv8
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · ON1 opinions?

jwpstl wrote:
Thatís an oldie but poor argument. Yes, itís true, you donít own the software based on the license but in practice you do. No one has ever come and taken away any software with a perpetual license Iíve purchased. So in essence, I own it.

No you don't own it. In your example, you have a perpetual use license. Let me give some examples of the difference. If you owned the software, you would have the right to license it to others for their use and charge them for it. If you did that with the software you've licensed, I expect the owner of the software would take significant issue. Another example is that if you owned the software you could modify it or include parts of it in other products that you own or license it for use in products from other companies. Practically you can't do that because you don't have the source code, but from a legal perspective I expect your license does not give you that right. Your license may include restrictions on the number of computers you can run it on. If you owned the software, of course you could install it on as many machines as you liked. Nobody has taken it away from you because they granted you a perpetual license.

So I understand that you "feel" like you own it, but there really is a difference.

Jun 15, 2024 at 11:12 PM
fsi22
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · ON1 opinions?

524f44 wrote:
Well after Adobe's missteps last week, I decided it just might be time to move on. ON1 looks to be a worthy option. I downloaded the 30 day trial, and am giving it a workout. I'm impressed favorably so far. The TOS looks pretty good, https://www.on1.com/company/terms/, and the privacy policy is quite reasonable. https://www.on1.com/company/privacy/

I was impressed at the speed (5-10s) of the sharpening, noise reduction, on a 47Mpix Leica Q2 Mono, image. And the quality of the image was quite good for a 10000 ISO image. Disappointed that there is no lens correction for the Q2M, nor does there seem
...Show more

Curve tool is in Effects tab.

I moved to ON1, after trying Luminar Neo, Capture One, DxO PL7, ACDSEE, Raw Therapee and Dark Table.

Jun 18, 2024 at 12:34 AM
524f44
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · ON1 opinions?

fsi22 wrote:
I moved to ON1, after trying Luminar Neo, Capture One, DxO PL7, ACDSEE, Raw Therapee and Dark Table.

I followed a similar path, and wound up back at Lightroom, Lr, not classic LrC. Along the way I came to realize that I wanted to simplify my whole PP process, and Lr Mobile did all that I want a little bit better than the others. The photo organization tools were a tipping point for me. So at least for now itís Lr Mobile on an iPad 10 doing about all I care for. OTH I have totally ruled out a MacBook Pro. And I keep a Darktable install on my Linux machine. I play with it once in a while hoping it will become less obtuse, and easier to use.

ó
Rod

Jun 18, 2024 at 02:54 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.