FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Bees, Beetles, and a Fly

Dalantech
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bees, Beetles, and a Fly

I've been shooting before work, and sometimes on the weekends. But it's getting tough to find anything to shoot. There's been some habitat loss close to my apartment, and some areas I just don't feel safe shooting in by myself. I'm afraid a Naples, Italy camera club would just turn into a support group for people who've had their camera gear stolen.

For all of the images in this post: Tech Specs: Canon 90D (F11, 1/125, ISO 200) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set from 1x to 2x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT, manual mode, key (A) set to 1/16 -1/3 and the fill (B) set to 1/32 -1/3. These are single frames taken hand held (all 32MP). In post I used Topaz Photo AI and Clarity in that order.

A new Mason Bee (at least new to me, possibly Hoplitis adunca) are the latest tenet in my solitary bee houses. They are extremely hyperactive and skittish. This one was taking a break on a stone wall close to my bee housing complex.

Mason Bee by John Kimbler, on Flickr

It was windy so this female solitary bee couldn't tell when I grabbed onto the poppy she was in, to keep the flower steady. But she eventually noticed me and looked for an exit.

Solitary Bee in a Poppy by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Identified as a Hippodamia variegata, the Variegated Lady Beetle. I got lucky and it held still long enough for a few frames.

Lady Beetle II by John Kimbler, on Flickr

I found a Flower Beetle, that was more hungry than afraid, foraging on Buttercup pollen.

Flower Beetle Foraging on a Buttercup by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Right before it rained this Solitary Bee took shelter in a Wild Morning Glory Flower.

Solitary Bee in a Wild Morning Glory Flower by John Kimbler, on Flickr

I was photographing this Spotted-eyed Drone Fly on a Buttercup when it started cleaning the dew off of its eyes. It would then lick the dew off of its legs, but the action looked very similar to a cat cleaning itself.

Spotted-eyed Drone Fly Cleaning Itself by John Kimbler, on Flickr

C&C welcome.

Jun 04, 2024 at 01:40 PM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.