Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

freezing fast action/droplets with fuji GFX 100 s and mamiya rz lenses

Allthink

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · freezing fast action/droplets with fuji GFX 100 s and mamiya rz lenses

Hello colleagues
I'm not yet in the fuji system.
I have some question to you about using Fuji system

1. To freeze action, I need let's say 1/2500 t.01(at 300ws) of flash speed with DSLR to freeze fast action. But what about fuji, as it's electronic shutter, can the slow scan speed of the sensor readout cause to blurred droplets(for product photography)/fast human action(badminton racket) even if have fast flash as mentioned? (In case you tried fast action with fuji gfx)

2.Do i have to use pc sync cable on mamiya rz lenses or all other copal lenses and mf lenses that have pc sync port to sync with flash/body, if using fuji mirrorless camera like gfx 100? or it's enough to have only trigger on hotshoe? (I assume the later is a correct answer but want to know for sure)

3. Is that correct that if I will choose mamiya rz 67 lenses, the only focus option is via technical camera? (I see that there is no focust option on that lens, so even adapter from mamiya 67 to fuji will not help, right?)

3. If to choose some lenses for GFX, is it possible to choose only one brand to adapt to fuji, that the brand line is known for very good lenses with very good iq for digital (for products/tabletop) ? I'm considering Pentax 67 lenses, Pentax 645, Mamiya sekors rz 67, and Mamiya 645 a/af lenses as well as SK/Rodenstock copal lenses via tech. camera with lens boards and another option of fuji to hasselblad adapter using hasselblad hc lenses, from 28 to 120 macro range. Or maybe it's better to choose specific lenses from different brands and have different lens boards?

Thanks

Jun 01, 2024 at 12:07 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · freezing fast action/droplets with fuji GFX 100 s and mamiya rz lenses

Allthink wrote:
Hello colleagues
I'm not yet in the fuji system.
I have some question to you about using Fuji system

1. To freeze action, I need let's say 1/2500 t.01(at 300ws) of flash speed with DSLR to freeze fast action. But what about fuji, as it's electronic shutter, can the slow scan speed of the sensor readout cause to blurred droplets(for product photography)/fast human action(badminton racket) even if have fast flash as mentioned? (In case you tried fast action with fuji gfx)

2.Do i have to use pc sync cable on mamiya rz lenses or all other copal lenses and mf lenses that have pc
...Show more

Fotodiox has an RB/RZ to GF adapter with built in helicoid focusing: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1368298-REG/fotodiox_rb_rz67_gfx_pro_mamiya_rb67_rz67_lens_to.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A6879&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwjeuyBhBuEiwAJ3vuoTmhLmE-mtTAWkG3lV-X1_n9eugZxJG6zfceqrMqu87iuCU1w4DCwBoCc00QAvD_BwE

I am almost certain that you do not use the shutter in the RZ lenses, you leave them open and still use the shutter in the camera instead. Depending on what you're shooting and how, you might be able to sync to the Mamiya lens and fire the flash from that, but you'd have to use Bulb on the Fuji - open the Fuji shutter, fire the RZ lens then close the Fuji shutter, all in a darkened studio. Now, grant you, I have not done this but I'm thinking that it would probably work.

If I were adapting lenses to the GFX for tabletop, and I have, I would choose Canon mount with a Fringer Pro adapter to use with the lineup of Canon t/s-e lenses, primarily, the 24mm v2, the 50mm f/2.8, the 90mm f/2.8 and of course, the 135mm f/4. All of those perform amazingly well on the GFX, but I'd also add a good 1:1 macro (three of the four Canon t/s lenses are already 1:2 half life sized macro lenses) like the Contax 120mm f/4 Macro, which is phenomenal if not better and runs about $1500 with a Fringer adapter.

There are plenty of inexpensive electronic flash units out there with extremely short flash durations. I use the Paul C Buff Einstein 640 W/S unit that has a flash duration of somewhere in the neighborhood of 1/13500th of a second at the lowest power setting. I don't remember the actual numbers but you can look them up easily enough.

You can also use barrel lenses like the Rodenstock Digiron 105mm 5.6 APO Macro or any enlarging lens on most focusing bellow systems including Cambo, Novoflex and others.

Jun 02, 2024 at 01:12 AM
Allthink

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · freezing fast action/droplets with fuji GFX 100 s and mamiya rz lenses

Thank you Peter
If I buy this Contax macro lens, what mount it has? What adapter will fit it to fuji gfx? I found this one (Fotodiox Pro Lens Adapter - Compatible with Contax/Yashica (CY) SLR Lenses to Fujifilm G-Mount), but it's to buy this adapter only for one lens and I'm looking to many different lenses, and still have to choose some of them, and I have some initial list.

If I adapt ts-e's, i'm afraid i will get vignetting if i will choose tech camera and not adapters, which I'm also undecided for that matter.

About macros, I already have pentax 67 135mm macro but it's not 1:1 and my other sigma 105 for sony and sigma 150 macro for nikon is only for full frame.
Can I put a short list of some lenses I'm considering, in case you have opinion/experience with them?

Jun 02, 2024 at 03:39 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · freezing fast action/droplets with fuji GFX 100 s and mamiya rz lenses

Allthink wrote:
Thank you Peter
If I buy this Contax macro lens, what mount it has? What adapter will fit it to fuji gfx? I found this one (Fotodiox Pro Lens Adapter - Compatible with Contax/Yashica (CY) SLR Lenses to Fujifilm G-Mount), but it's to buy this adapter only for one lens and I'm looking to many different lenses, and still have to choose some of them, and I have some initial list.

If I adapt ts-e's, i'm afraid i will get vignetting if i will choose tech camera and not adapters, which I'm also undecided for that matter.

About macros, I already have pentax
...Show more

The Contax macro I'm referring to is the Contax 645 120mm f/4, so it has the Contax 645 mount not the Contax/Yashica mount for 35mm cameras. There are several different adapter brands for Contax 645 to Fuji GF mount. I'm using the Fringer, which is probably the most expensive but it just works, and yes, sometimes you're going to end up buying an adapter for just one lens, but that's just the way it goes.

The Canon t/s-e lenses will NOT vignette with an adapter, and again, the Fringer is the best adapter for Canon EF to GF. I believe there is a convoluted way to attach the Canon t/s lenses to a focusing bellows but it requires a special smart adapter that the lens attaches to which then has a cable to go to the back half of the same adapter which goes into the camera where it gets power and input from, which in turn requires an adapter to the rear of the bellows or tech camera. Ain't worth the effort in my opinion and for what?

Are you referring to the Sigma 105 Macro or the Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART lens? The 1.4 ART has no issues with the GFX and covers fully albeit with some soft vignetting wide open and goes away as you stop down. According to this online database, the Sigma 105 Macro also covers the full GFX sensor: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uxvvpxJ9QVFFyh0pW2rs9KBmUW9vlh-d-VnbcLDCTn8/edit?pli=1#gid=0
Sigma makes more than one 150mm Macro. I don't know which one you have. I had one of them, with AF and IS and it did not compare with the Contax.

If you're going to adapt Sony mount lenses, you'll have to go with something like Fotodiox for an adapter as Fringer only adapts Canon EF, Nikon F and Contax 645 to the GF mount.

Part of the cost of buying into the Fuji system is that you may have to try out a couple of adapters and different lenses to see what works for your style of photography and you many, like many of us have, try out different lenses until you settle on what works for you.

Jun 02, 2024 at 10:05 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Allthink

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · freezing fast action/droplets with fuji GFX 100 s and mamiya rz lenses

Thank you, yes it's 105mm art macro from sigma but.
About vignetting, i got advice from arc. photographer not to adapt ts-e's as they vignette at shifts.
Do you know something about 1st question i asked as well as 4th?

Jun 02, 2024 at 02:57 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · freezing fast action/droplets with fuji GFX 100 s and mamiya rz lenses

Allthink wrote:
Thank you, yes it's 105mm art macro from sigma but.
About vignetting, i got advice from arc. photographer not to adapt ts-e's as they vignette at shifts.
Do you know something about 1st question i asked as well as 4th?

Not to adapt because they vignette when you shit? Which lens or lenses does he use? Here's the deal. On a couple of them, there's a tiny bit of vignetting at a full shift. Big deal. You almost never shoot at full shift anyway.

The biggest problem is if you do a full horizontal shift on a horizontal frame with either the 17mm or the 24mm, but that was already a problem even on a Canon, and not so much vignetting as using the extreme edges of the image circle where those two lenses weren't as sharp anyway. The real problem that most people have with the two wide lenses is not knowing how to properly focus them. I have all the lenses and have tested them all quite extensively, but still have yet to take an actual image with the 17mm t/s-e on the GFX.That's like shooting with a 13.5mm lens and I just haven't needed something that wide yet. You can also use quite successfully the 11-24mm lens but only at 15-20mm. I've used the 24mm quite a bit on architectural jobs where it's the equivalent to about a 19mm lens and it performs beautifully, and with shifts up to 12mm vertically on a horizontal frame. I've done a lot of images on the other thee - the 50, 90 and 135 and they perform amazingly. I also have the Fuji 30mm t/s which is expensive, heavy and amazing. Have not tried the GF110 t/s yet but don't feel like I need it with the two Canons that bookend that focal length.

Already addressed your other questions in previous posts but I'll expand a bit on the third party lenses. The Sigma ART lenses are generally very very good. I have the 50mm, the 70mm Macro, the 105mm 1.4 and the 135mm 1.8. Of those the 50mm is the weakest especially wide open. The 70mm ART is quite good but I have better macro lenses that I prefer like the Contax 120 and the Rodenstock 105mm 5.6 Digiron ($6500). The fast 105 is phenomenal and the 135 is beyond that even in the corners wide open. The Sigma 135 is even sharper than the Canon 135 t/s and I didn't think that was possible.

There's a boat load of discussion about all this over in the Fuji sub forum with long long threads about what lenses adapt well and which don't or under what conditions. The bottom line is that you'll have to test the waters yourself and just start trying stuff and see how it works for you. You will go through some lenses that don't work well for you, but the only way to find out for sure is to buy them, use them and then sell them if they're not useful to you. We've all gone through some of that. It's part of the price of admission.

Jun 02, 2024 at 04:34 PM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · freezing fast action/droplets with fuji GFX 100 s and mamiya rz lenses

Peter Figen wrote:
Not to adapt because they vignette when you shit?

I'd certainly hope not!

Jun 04, 2024 at 12:00 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · freezing fast action/droplets with fuji GFX 100 s and mamiya rz lenses

sungphoto wrote:
I'd certainly hope not!

There's usually *some* vignetting in that situation.

Jun 04, 2024 at 12:14 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.