New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Lithium Battery for Strobes in your Carry-On

arurso

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lithium Battery for Strobes in your Carry-On

Hi,

I'll be taking a flight with just a carry-on. Inside the carry-on will be some clothes and a Profoto AcuteB2 generator with two batteries and strobe.

The battery model is stated as a LiFe battery 4S2P, the one that comes with the generator.

I had heard that the batteries cannot be taken onboard in the cabin of an airplane. I heard that it is only okay for them to go onboard, and inside the airplane's cabin, only if they go inside a generator.

Is that true? Do you know anything about these traveling restrictions or rules in which batteries may not be able to travel alone, unless they are inside not a case, but inside another device?

Thank you in advance, kind regards!

Arurso

May 31, 2024 at 06:03 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lithium Battery for Strobes in your Carry-On

The FeLiPO4 battery used by the AcuteB is rated for air travel, and you should have received a paper certificate at the time of purchase. Honestly, I misplaced that paper long ago but I don't fly with strobes. Here is the latest FAA blurb on the subject and everything still looks good:

https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/lithium-batteries

Note that the battery must be carry-on but does not need to be installed in its device.

May 31, 2024 at 08:58 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lithium Battery for Strobes in your Carry-On

Generally if it's under 100Wh (Watt hours), it will be OK. This should be listed somewhere on the battery. If not, you can calculate it by multiplying Volts by Amp hours. I have a chunky 72Wh power brick that I travel with for charging my devices and it gets a fair amount of attention from airport security screeners, but once they see it's 72Wh, it's never an issue.

Not super familiar with Profoto packs but if it's the B2 600 AirS, the manual indicates the battery is 13.2V and 5Ah, which is 66Wh and well under the 100Wh per-battery carry-on limit. To be safe you should remove the fuse from the battery box to disconnect the cells from the external contacts.

May 31, 2024 at 11:48 PM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lithium Battery for Strobes in your Carry-On

rscheffler wrote:
Generally if it's under 100Wh (Watt hours), it will be OK. This should be listed somewhere on the battery. If not, you can calculate it by multiplying Volts by Amp hours. I have a chunky 72Wh power brick that I travel with for charging my devices and it gets a fair amount of attention from airport security screeners, but once they see it's 72Wh, it's never an issue.

Not super familiar with Profoto packs but if it's the B2 600 AirS, the manual indicates the battery is 13.2V and 5Ah, which is 66Wh and well under the 100Wh per-battery carry-on limit.
...Show more

Agreed, 100 watt hours seems to be the general limit per battery, carry-on only. There are those plastic fire/explosion safety bags for lithium batteries, but I have yet to see them required on flights

Jun 04, 2024 at 12:46 PM
story_teller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lithium Battery for Strobes in your Carry-On

When I sometimes travel with strobes (500Ws or smaller) I have a couple sheets of paper in my carry on with the FAA compliance numbers for the batteries. Never needed to use them, but they are the proof of compliance.

Jun 05, 2024 at 07:21 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.