Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

New Profoto (pseudo) parabolic reflectors?

docusync
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New Profoto (pseudo) parabolic reflectors?

I just stumbled upon this thing:
https://profoto.com/us/products/light-shaping-tools/soft-reflectors/soft-zoom-reflector

They do not claim anywhere those reflectors are parabolic, and they are priced in between Godox and Broncolor, which is kind of unusual for Profoto (they are supposed to match Broncolor at least )

I'm a little puzzled to see these modifiers because Profoto does not even offer proper heads (except for the super expensive studio pack) to fill a deep or parabolic modifier.

Anyways, I think I saw similar modifiers already. So I'm wondering if those are "genuine" or just some rebranded stuff? How these modifiers can be used with recessed heads?

What do you guys think?

EDIT: I just realized they even offer spare rods! I dropped my Para 133 once. The 133 rods are significantly more fragile than the 222 rods so 3 of them bent. I had to order spare rods from Manfrotto UK (apparently they manufacture hardware for Bron) and wait for a week or two for delivery.

May 23, 2024 at 08:20 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New Profoto (pseudo) parabolic reflectors?

To be properly filled, this umbrella requires the traditional bare bulb that Profoto has all but killed.

May 24, 2024 at 12:27 AM
jlafferty
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New Profoto (pseudo) parabolic reflectors?

These do look like cheap umbrellas available elsewhere, just with the Profoto logo slapped on.

May 24, 2024 at 10:04 AM
docusync
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New Profoto (pseudo) parabolic reflectors?

rico wrote:
To be properly filled, this umbrella requires the traditional bare bulb that Profoto has all but killed.

Exactly my thoughts. It would only work with the ProHead which is $3055 alone (+$17849 for the studio pack).

jlafferty wrote:
These do look like cheap umbrellas available elsewhere, just with the Profoto logo slapped on.

They look like SMDV Mega to me: https://smdv.co.kr/product/list.html?cate_no=34

SMDV already makes the Clic series for Profoto, so I guess rebadging the Mega is the next step
The $3k price is rather steep considering you can get the Mega 180 for $754 from B&H, so I'm wondering who's going to buy it from Profoto (4x price difference)?

May 25, 2024 at 12:36 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.