New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Z8 with FW 2.0 > AF performance vs. Sony A7rV

towlie

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Z8 with FW 2.0 > AF performance vs. Sony A7rV

Does the Z8 with the latest FW update come close to the autofocus performance of the Sony a7rv? Unfortunately I can only find comparisons with the old FW.

May 21, 2024 at 05:57 AM
armd
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Z8 with FW 2.0 > AF performance vs. Sony A7rV

In what context, subject, AF-S, AF-C, etc.? We can discuss the other distinctions as well (20FPS vs. 10FPS, noise, etc.)

May 21, 2024 at 07:52 AM
towlie

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Z8 with FW 2.0 > AF performance vs. Sony A7rV

i am specifically interested in the eye autofocus accuracy with AF C. scenario portrait session in good lighting conditions and aperture around f2.8. and burst rate a may 10

May 21, 2024 at 09:29 AM
Orsonneke

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Z8 with FW 2.0 > AF performance vs. Sony A7rV

I have both cameras in use.The Nikon Z8/9 still suffer from front focusing on the eye lashes in stead of the eye ball! An issue still not solved in my opinion on the best portrait lenses like 135 plena , 50/85/1.2.I love Nikon Z glass but this issue still needs to be solved.The A7R5 on the other hand is critical sharp on the eye ball!Even with the 50/1.2 GM

May 21, 2024 at 02:49 PM
Laslo Varadi
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Z8 with FW 2.0 > AF performance vs. Sony A7rV

I would only choose a stacked sensor camera such as the A1 or Z8. In addition the newer cameras may be ahead somewhat on AI capabilities but that does not negate the advantage of stacked sensors. The A1 and Z8 are very capable of subject detection. The A7r5 might be incrementally better but I would still choose the A1 or Z8 for the other advantages.

Edited on May 22, 2024 at 04:56 PM · View previous versions

May 22, 2024 at 04:09 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Z8 with FW 2.0 > AF performance vs. Sony A7rV

Nikon nor anyone else has a portrait lens on par with the Sony FE 100mm f/2.8 STF GM OSS lens. For the Nikon DSLR cameras there are the two defocus control lenses in 105mm and 135mm but they will not work on the NikonZ cameras.

May 22, 2024 at 04:30 PM
ronno
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Z8 with FW 2.0 > AF performance vs. Sony A7rV

Laslo Varadi wrote:
I would only choose a stacked sensor camera such as the A1 or Z8. In addition the newer cameras may be ahead somewhat on AI capabilities but that does not negate the advantage of stacked sensors. The A1 and Z8 are very capable of subject detection. The A7r5 might be incrementally better but I would still choose the A1 or Z8 for the other advantages.

Only stacked sensor will do…for portraits as the OP specifies? Huh?🤔
By all accounts the A7r5 is better for subject recognition than the older A1 anyway…
So I suggest the OP save the extra $thousands (for the A1) and get some good lenses for the A7rV / A7IV.

May 22, 2024 at 06:36 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Z8 with FW 2.0 > AF performance vs. Sony A7rV

This

ronno wrote:
By all accounts the A7r5 is better for subject recognition than the older A1 anyway…
So I suggest the OP save the extra $thousands (for the A1) and get some good lenses for the A7rV / A7IV.

May 22, 2024 at 06:46 PM
Buckeye2604
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Z8 with FW 2.0 > AF performance vs. Sony A7rV

ronno wrote:

Are the eyelash af issues fixed for the A7IV? I remember a friend having issues. Just checked and there’s a Facebook group of over 2 thousand people still complaining about issues.

May 22, 2024 at 06:53 PM
JustShootMe
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Z8 with FW 2.0 > AF performance vs. Sony A7rV

elkhornsun wrote:
Nikon nor anyone else has a portrait lens on par with the Sony FE 100mm f/2.8 STF GM OSS lens. For the Nikon DSLR cameras there are the two defocus control lenses in 105mm and 135mm but they will not work on the NikonZ cameras.

The 100 STF is fantastic but a flop , I really like it most do not.

May 22, 2024 at 07:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bernardl
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Z8 with FW 2.0 > AF performance vs. Sony A7rV

Orsonneke wrote:
I have both cameras in use.The Nikon Z8/9 still suffer from front focusing on the eye lashes in stead of the eye ball! An issue still not solved in my opinion on the best portrait lenses like 135 plena , 50/85/1.2.I love Nikon Z glass but this issue still needs to be solved.The A7R5 on the other hand is critical sharp on the eye ball!Even with the 50/1.2 GM

I don't have this issue with my Z8/Z9. I shot a portrait session recently with the 50mm f1.2 S, 85mm f1.2 S and 135mm f1.8 S and most images were tack sharp on the pupil of the eye. I was shooting at f2.8 if I recall but I have had similar success at f1.2.

On the other hand I am often getting issues when using my 50mm f1.2 GM on the a9III. Less consistent pupil AF.

My results are exactly opposite of yours.

Cheers,
Bernard

May 22, 2024 at 09:25 PM
bernardl
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Z8 with FW 2.0 > AF performance vs. Sony A7rV

elkhornsun wrote:

2 comments:
1. It's very easy to adapt any Sony FE mount lens with excellent AF on the Z bodies
2. It is possible to use the Nikkor 105mm and 135mm on the Z camera, but they won't AF

The Sony STF is an interesting proposition, but quoting DPreview "the apodization filter cuts out so many peripheral light rays as to effectively make a F4 lens - in terms of depth-of-field - at F2.8, but with the light transmission of F5.6 and the bokeh of F2.8."

So the super smooth bokeh comes at a very high cost, it's 3.5 stops less bright than an excellent 135mm f1.8 S that itself has a very smooth bokeh, probably more photographic in nature. It's a specialized tool and I am glad to know I can use it on both my Sony and Nikon bodies if the need arises. It can be had for less than 700 Euro in Japan second hand with many copies available.

Cheers,
Bernard

May 22, 2024 at 09:41 PM
Laslo Varadi
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Z8 with FW 2.0 > AF performance vs. Sony A7rV

ronno wrote:

The only portraits I shoot are fast moving animals. If you van afford it get a camera without limitations such as rolling shutter, slower frame rates and viewfinder lag and blackout. I tried the A7iv and Z6 and neither were great at focusing. The A9,A1, Z8, and Z9 are much better. Also the last I checked the Nikon Z8 and A7r5 were about the same price?

May 23, 2024 at 07:16 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Z8 with FW 2.0 > AF performance vs. Sony A7rV

towlie wrote:
Does the Z8 with the latest FW update come close to the autofocus performance of the Sony a7rv? Unfortunately I can only find comparisons with the old FW.

I rented an A7RV prior to the major Z8 update and in my opinion based on my testing the Z8 was clearly superior at grabbing the eye in tricky situations and when obstructions are in the frame. This was with people, birds, and pets. If there are no challenges (i.e. clear view of a stationary subject sitting in a studio) then pretty well every modern mirrorless camera performs about the same - that isn't a situation I would be worried about AF in regardless of the body.

Someone above mentioned front focusing, I can't replicate that on either the Z8 or Z9 at F1.4 or F1.8. I don't have anything faster to try. Subjects are mostly my two nieces running around, both cameras have no issues nailing the pupil.

May 23, 2024 at 12:47 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Z8 with FW 2.0 > AF performance vs. Sony A7rV

My Z9 and 24-120/4 front focuses all the time on what should be easy-to-nail portraits. It's annoying to be sure, and happens more often with darker skinned subjects. The 50/1.8 is a bit more sure. Probably comes back to the fact that the Z cameras really require a considerable amount of light to focus accurately.

I have an A7R5 coming with a 20-70/4 so I can compare directly to my 24-120 at similar lengths.

May 23, 2024 at 12:57 PM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Z8 with FW 2.0 > AF performance vs. Sony A7rV

I had both cameras at the same time for a few months.
Eye recognition is better on the A7RV. It's just rock solid. Like others have mentioned here the Z8 sometimes front focuses on the eye lashes.

When talking about AF-C tracking in general the Z8 is better, because of the stacked sensor.

May 23, 2024 at 01:56 PM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Z8 with FW 2.0 > AF performance vs. Sony A7rV

RoamingScott wrote:
I have an A7R5 coming with a 20-70/4

Why?
Didn't you fairly recently switch from Sony to Nikon?

May 23, 2024 at 02:13 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Z8 with FW 2.0 > AF performance vs. Sony A7rV

RoamingScott wrote:
Probably comes back to the fact that the Z cameras really require a considerable amount of light to focus accurately.

At what point do you find you start to notice issues? I'd be interested in doing some controlled testing to see when the AF quits or loses accuracy.

I'm often shooting at dusk under trees or inside bushes at ISO 12,800 and fairly slow shutter speeds and I have never noticed a decrease in accuracy. That's about my limit though, I have to stop once the shutter speeds get too slow to freeze mild movement, but I always quit before the AF does. Even in near darkness on night tours in the jungle, eye-AF has been rock solid for me on a wide variety of subjects so I wonder if I'm misunderstanding something when others are saying they have issues.

If I have time this weekend I'll try set something up to see where it quits.

May 23, 2024 at 02:16 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Z8 with FW 2.0 > AF performance vs. Sony A7rV

Jochenb wrote:
Why?
Didn't you fairly recently switch from Sony to Nikon?

I'm looking for a smaller dedicated landscape setup and Nikon (currently) is falling short of my preferences. This is my 3rd year shooting Nikon, so wouldn't say "recently". The Z stuff is great for action and birding where the A7R5 wouldn't be.

May 23, 2024 at 02:17 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Z8 with FW 2.0 > AF performance vs. Sony A7rV

CanadaMark wrote:
At what point do you find you start to notice issues? I'd be interested in doing some controlled testing to see when the AF quits or loses accuracy.

I'm often shooting at dusk under trees or inside bushes at ISO 12,800 and fairly slow shutter speeds and I have never noticed a decrease in accuracy. That's about my limit though, I have to stop once the shutter speeds get too slow to freeze mild movement, but I always quit before the AF does. Even in near darkness on night tours in the jungle, eye-AF has been rock solid for me
...Show more

It's not at all that it "quits", it's that the camera is telling me I have eye AF locked in during AF-C bursts and many of the shots are slightly front focused. Because of the poor EVF resolution on the Z8/Z9, it's impossible to tell in the field if you're nailing focus until you get the files on the big screen back home, and by then it's too late.

FWIW the problem is exacerbated by using highlight priority metering, mostly likely because the entire image is getting underexposed by almost a stop.

May 23, 2024 at 02:24 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.