35-40mm
50mm
75-105mm

For fun: favorite focal length with no cropping

liggy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · For fun: favorite focal length with no cropping

I like the look of a fast fifty but the practicality of a high MP 28 shot for cropping as needed.

May 20, 2024 at 01:05 PM
grahamgibson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · For fun: favorite focal length with no cropping

I like 35-40mm for walk-around, but yes I do find myself cropping often for the right framing. So I suppose I'd pick 50mm and then stitch when I want wider

May 20, 2024 at 01:45 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · For fun: favorite focal length with no cropping

It may be complicated by the appearance of the images of a particular lens at its focal length - placing all of each FL in a basket is not a reflection of reality. And then, what do you shoot with the chosen one, are they all wide open or a mix? Peter Karbe popularised the notion of cropping from 35mm, that that was all one needed. Tongue in cheek, perhaps.

Easy to see why ~50mm is a solid choice, cropping takes you to decent portrait FLs, much more easily than wider lenses. The question is more about: what can you give up? Phones did not take long to include extra focal lengths.

Maybe true normal - the diagonal of the frame, at 43mm - is best for most?

May 20, 2024 at 03:16 PM
Knut.
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · For fun: favorite focal length with no cropping

philip_pj wrote:
Maybe true normal - the diagonal of the frame, at 43mm - is best for most?

That‘s a view Pentax once had. I could warm to to idea …

May 20, 2024 at 03:23 PM
foto16
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · For fun: favorite focal length with no cropping

It's funny in the threads everyone demands a zoom starting at 20-24mm while here the majority wants 35-40mm.

May 20, 2024 at 07:43 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · For fun: favorite focal length with no cropping

foto16 wrote:
It's funny in the threads everyone demands a zoom starting at 20-24mm while here the majority wants 35-40mm.

Yes, but those zooms go out to 50 - 70mm…so it does cover the 35-40mm range.

May 20, 2024 at 07:55 PM
smpetty
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · For fun: favorite focal length with no cropping

chez wrote:
And do you wonder why the manufactures focus on these focal lengths. A full 75% chose these focal lengths. We always think the manufactures don’t know what they are doing…we know better. Well these figures seem to suggest the manufactures who have been at this game for many decades, who have in-depth information on the market that people here have no idea about…seem to know what the majority of photographers want.

You make a lot of strong statements based on a tiny data set created by a very specialized subset of photographers.

If Sony released a high quality G or GM 28mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 lens, I would bet that they would sell like mad. You may disagree, probably will given your bent, but this forum and lots of non-forum Sony shooters I meet have been clamoring for a small, fast, high IQ 28mm for years.

May 20, 2024 at 08:16 PM
swldstn
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · For fun: favorite focal length with no cropping

smpetty wrote:
You make a lot of strong statements based on a tiny data set created by a very specialized subset of photographers.

If Sony released a high quality G or GM 28mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 lens, I would bet that they would sell like mad. You may disagree, probably will given your bent, but this forum and lots of non-forum Sony shooters I meet have been clamoring for a small, fast, high IQ 28mm for years.

While I own almost every focal length and selected 35-40 in the poll I will place my order now for a modern 28mm at f/2, or f/1.8 or even f/1.4 if not too large.

May 20, 2024 at 09:38 PM
mudlake
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · For fun: favorite focal length with no cropping

I think I would use a nice 28/1.4 a lot more than I used the 24GM when I owned it. The 24GM is one of the best rendering lenses I've ever used, but I didn't use it all that much because it was too wide for much of how I like to photograph. A 28/1.4GM would work as a single lens solution for many outings (much like the Leica Q3) if you wanted to stay light. On a 61mp sensor it could crop beautifully to 50mm and even 75mm in a pinch. And it would be wide enough for many landscape shots. They should do it.

May 21, 2024 at 01:17 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · For fun: favorite focal length with no cropping

philip_pj wrote:
It might be that it 'seems 28mm focal length is not at all that popular' because so few modern photographers have ever had the privilege of encountering a really good one. I say modern because 28s were very popular and very good last century.

Putting aside the decidedly fringe manual focus lenses (Otus, M-mount Voigtlanders and Leicas) and even more fringe SL variety, what exactly is available that gets the blood flowing a little faster?

A few monster fast lenses (Sigma, Nikon DSLR) and some that have strange names few ever heard of. In mirrorless, the majors are making pancakes or
...Show more

Thank you philip_pj, point well taken. I happen to own 1 of the 4 lenses mentioned in the above link.

Sony ILCE-7RM2 + Nikon AF NIKKOR 28mm f/1.4 D Autofocus Lens @ 28 mm (28 mm in 35mm).
I used the TechArt Pro LM-EA7 autofocus adapter.

K-H.

May 21, 2024 at 02:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rico
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · For fun: favorite focal length with no cropping

mudlake wrote:
A 28/1.4GM would work as a single lens solution for many outings ...

Not available from Sony which is why you should run more than one mount. The Nikkor 28/1.4E is one of their last F-mount creations and an epic performer:

I also own the bog-standard Canon EF 28/2.8, Leica Elmarit 28 ASPH, and Contax D28/2.8 C/Y. This is a key FL for me but I would select a 50mm as my one uncroppable prime. Thankfully, I don't need to face that grim eventuality.

May 21, 2024 at 05:04 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · For fun: favorite focal length with no cropping

Maybe they believe right-sized 28s would eat into the sales and prestige of 35mm lenses, which are bread and butter to them, and can be used for people more easily. But 35mm is less useful for landscapes, for me at least.

Weight is always an issue for me, so even f2.8 is good. Even so, Zeiss's fine 25/28s are all heavy in ZF, and the Milvus are obviously out too. Just the way it went, and the better modern 28mm lenses are now found in the M-mount world.

May 21, 2024 at 05:07 PM
sismailian
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · For fun: favorite focal length with no cropping

I voted 35-40 as well. A good reason why I keep using the 35 1.2 for events and portraits even though its a chunky lens. Also reminds me of the sigma 40 1.4 that I still wish sigma would remake!

May 21, 2024 at 08:28 PM
mojoh
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · For fun: favorite focal length with no cropping

Poll results so far..

18-21mm 6%
24-28mm 15%
35-40mm 45%
50mm 25%

75-105mm 9%

I guess Sony made a good choice releasing a 24-50/2.8

May 21, 2024 at 09:14 PM
tschopp
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · For fun: favorite focal length with no cropping

There are quite a few assumptions being made on a fairly small sample of people basically asking what would be the one prime lens if you had to. So what is your most versatile prime. I answered the 35, but I haven't used my 35 for a while. Recently it has been 135, 50, and 85. I have no less love for the 35, but recently it wasn't the lens to grab based on the subject. I will be heading to Indy 500 and was thinking about what to bring. I was originally thinking 35 and 135, after stopping at the track to pick up credentials yesterday I changed my mind and it will be 24-105 and 135GM.

Thinking about the 28mm talk, it seems like this could have decent sales. If 35mm was most popular there should be good love for 28mm as well. I suspect there could be a number of people who wish the 35 was a bit wider and would go for 28. For me I skew more tele so 35 and 50 are both good fits and 24 is too wide on a prime, and 28 is too close to 35, for me.

May 22, 2024 at 08:44 AM
smpetty
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · For fun: favorite focal length with no cropping

One of the reasons that the 28 is not more popular in this poll was alluded to earlier by philip_pj. There hasn't been a small fast G/GM 28mm Sony system prime to choose, forcing those that love the 28mm focal length to use 24mm, 35mm, one of the Sigma behemoths, or a zoom that covers the FL. It's hard for a choice to be popular if that choice isn't available.

May 22, 2024 at 08:57 AM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · For fun: favorite focal length with no cropping

No favorite, use what the composition requires, each will be the favorite for that given composition.

In your case 18 to 105, you have a lot of favorite possibilities.

May 22, 2024 at 09:37 AM
livefromphilly

p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · For fun: favorite focal length with no cropping

28mm, or an equivalent on a crop sensor. It’s why I love my GRIII.

May 24, 2024 at 11:30 AM
davev
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · For fun: favorite focal length with no cropping

For fun, over 1000mm up to 2000mm with my Nikon p950.
Yeah, the photos aren't world class, but as the poll said, for fun.

May 24, 2024 at 11:37 AM
rmurphy

p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · For fun: favorite focal length with no cropping

I too am interested in 28mm. What's wrong with the Sony 28mm F2?

May 25, 2024 at 11:05 AM
1              3       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.