35-40mm
50mm
75-105mm

For fun: favorite focal length with no cropping

mudlake
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · For fun: favorite focal length with no cropping

This is just for fun. What is your favorite focal length if you could never crop your images?

For instance, it would be easy for me to choose 35mm if I could crop because I’d have more flexibility, especially with a high megapixel camera. But if I couldn’t crop, I’d choose 50mm since that is my comfort zone and I’m always drawn to 50mm images more than any other focal length.

Since the poll limits choices to five, I put in ranges of common focal lengths where most would fall. Sorry if your favorite isn’t listed, but feel free to post your fave (I’m sure a lot of you birders love 600mm 🙂 )

I thought it would be fun to see where you all like to live photographically. 🙂

May 19, 2024 at 01:24 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · For fun: favorite focal length with no cropping

Actually, the poll options go up to 25 (I don't recommend using the full count), but you have to change it before you start populating the options or it will erase them and make you start over when you do change it.

Are you still allowed to crop for preferred or printed aspect ratio?

May 19, 2024 at 01:38 AM
fotografur
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · For fun: favorite focal length with no cropping

35mm

And I'm cropping to 40 if I have too 😏

May 19, 2024 at 05:50 AM
telyt
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · For fun: favorite focal length with no cropping

600mm

May 19, 2024 at 08:20 AM
Tarekith
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · For fun: favorite focal length with no cropping

40mm.

May 19, 2024 at 08:48 AM
adventure_photo
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · For fun: favorite focal length with no cropping

I chose 50 in the poll but it was difficult to choose just one, in reality I find my optimal favorite focal length range to be from about 30mm-50mm.

May 19, 2024 at 10:01 AM
foto16
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · For fun: favorite focal length with no cropping

mudlake wrote:
I thought it would be fun to see where you all like to live photographically. 🙂

Probably it would be easier to just ask the genre. I would imagine a birder and a landscaper use quite different focal lengths

Also I'm curious for a poll on how much weight everyone usually carries photographically. I see a lot of discussions on which compact kit to take but to some people 10kg is compact to other people 1kg is compact.

May 19, 2024 at 10:04 AM
mudlake
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · For fun: favorite focal length with no cropping

freaklikeme wrote:
Actually, the poll options go up to 25 (I don't recommend using the full count), but you have to change it before you start populating the options or it will erase them and make you start over when you do change it.

Are you still allowed to crop for preferred or printed aspect ratio?

Good point! Yes, you could crop your 2x3 image to 4x5, etc. for printing.

May 19, 2024 at 11:39 AM
mudlake
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · For fun: favorite focal length with no cropping

Interesting. So far the 35-40mm has double the votes as 50mm. I’m going to guess this number gets closer as more votes come in. I like 35mm a lot, but strangely don’t get along with 40mm.

May 19, 2024 at 11:44 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · For fun: favorite focal length with no cropping

The other thing that is interesting is for all the complaining of the lack of a 28mm lens, it seems 28mm focal length is not at all that popular.

May 19, 2024 at 12:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

telyt
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · For fun: favorite focal length with no cropping

foto16 wrote:
Probably it would be easier to just ask the genre. I would imagine a birder and a landscaper use quite different focal lengths

Also I'm curious for a poll on how much weight everyone usually carries photographically. I see a lot of discussions on which compact kit to take but to some people 10kg is compact to other people 1kg is compact.

Compact is relative to the genre.

May 19, 2024 at 12:19 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · For fun: favorite focal length with no cropping

It might be that it 'seems 28mm focal length is not at all that popular' because so few modern photographers have ever had the privilege of encountering a really good one. I say modern because 28s were very popular and very good last century.

Putting aside the decidedly fringe manual focus lenses (Otus, M-mount Voigtlanders and Leicas) and even more fringe SL variety, what exactly is available that gets the blood flowing a little faster?

A few monster fast lenses (Sigma, Nikon DSLR) and some that have strange names few ever heard of. In mirrorless, the majors are making pancakes or 'get by' offerings like Sony's OK-ish 28/2. That's it. All in ecosystems with scores of 24s, 35s and 50s.

https://www.thephoblographer.com/2020/11/28/the-best-28mm-lenses/

May 19, 2024 at 04:50 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · For fun: favorite focal length with no cropping

philip_pj wrote:
It might be that it 'seems 28mm focal length is not at all that popular' because so few modern photographers have ever had the privilege of encountering a really good one. I say modern because 28s were very popular and very good last century.

Putting aside the decidedly fringe manual focus lenses (Otus, M-mount Voigtlanders and Leicas) and even more fringe SL variety, what exactly is available that gets the blood flowing a little faster?

A few monster fast lenses (Sigma, Nikon DSLR) and some that have strange names few ever heard of. In mirrorless, the majors are making pancakes or
...Show more

And do you wonder why the manufactures focus on these focal lengths. A full 75% chose these focal lengths. We always think the manufactures don’t know what they are doing…we know better. Well these figures seem to suggest the manufactures who have been at this game for many decades, who have in-depth information on the market that people here have no idea about…seem to know what the majority of photographers want.

May 19, 2024 at 07:27 PM
Ripolini
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · For fun: favorite focal length with no cropping

I try to avoid cropping as much as possible. Only exception: if I need to straighten (slightly) an image or correct converging/diverging lines a bit

EDIT:
P.S.: I voted for 35-40 mm

Edited on May 20, 2024 at 12:47 PM · View previous versions

May 20, 2024 at 08:39 AM
MARKFER
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · For fun: favorite focal length with no cropping

24 to 28 is perfect walk about travel and street in my book. I want to incorporate surroundings. That with a 50 for more subject oriented photos. 2 lens solution. If I have just one lens, a 35 is probably best.

May 20, 2024 at 08:51 AM
ajmiller32

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · For fun: favorite focal length with no cropping

135 is my favorite, but 35 is my most used.

May 20, 2024 at 10:32 AM
Grenache
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · For fun: favorite focal length with no cropping

I crop with my feet. 🙂

May 20, 2024 at 12:41 PM
Grenache
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · For fun: favorite focal length with no cropping

The Zeiss ZE/ZF 28/2 is not native FE and is a little heavy, but it is excellent. The venerable Minolta MD 28/2 is more moody/artsy…also not native FE.

I really enjoy both and tend to prefer 28mm over 35mm, but there are far more 35 options to choose among. Sigh…

Jim

philip_pj wrote:

A few monster fast lenses (Sigma, Nikon DSLR) and some that have strange names few ever heard of. In mirrorless, the majors are making pancakes or
...Show more

May 20, 2024 at 12:46 PM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · For fun: favorite focal length with no cropping

Then those of us who like to shoot 28mm are inherently wrong?

As soon as I saw Philip's post, I could picture your reply in my mind....before I even got to it.

I hope we get maybe 10 or 15 more 24mm and 35mm E mount lenses. Saturate the market to the point where there is little profit because demand is spread across so many lenses. Then maybe the 2 or 3 people (dare I suggest there could it be more?) on the planet who like 28mm will suddenly seem like a huge market.

In any case, one way to show demand.....is to show desire for something.

chez wrote:
And do you wonder why the manufactures focus on these focal lengths. A full 75% chose these focal lengths. We always think the manufactures don’t know what they are doing…we know better. Well these figures seem to suggest the manufactures who have been at this game for many decades, who have in-depth information on the market that people here have no idea about…seem to know what the majority of photographers want.

May 20, 2024 at 12:54 PM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · For fun: favorite focal length with no cropping

I like 28'ish. Which means the Loxia 25'ish (a little of a stretch), Pentax 28/3.5 K, Sigma 28/1.4 and Laowa 28/1.2 for me.

May 20, 2024 at 12:55 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.