Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Does Canon Canada repair ‘grey market’ cameras/lenses if you pay?

an_also

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Does Canon Canada repair ‘grey market’ cameras/lenses if you pay?

I know there are more than a few posters here living in Canada. I’m curious if you would know if Canon Canada fix grey market items for a fee? It’s hard to find the answer on the internet. Lots of confusing info out there.

Thanks

May 18, 2024 at 07:37 PM
goalerjones
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Does Canon Canada repair ‘grey market’ cameras/lenses if you pay?

Cannot speak for Canada, but Canon USA does.

May 18, 2024 at 07:59 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Does Canon Canada repair ‘grey market’ cameras/lenses if you pay?

What grey market items specifically?

Canon Canada has a website. Simply find their contact information there and get in touch with them.

May 18, 2024 at 09:05 PM
Ferrophot
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Does Canon Canada repair ‘grey market’ cameras/lenses if you pay?

Canon Australia does too.

May 18, 2024 at 09:24 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Does Canon Canada repair ‘grey market’ cameras/lenses if you pay?

Canon Canada doesn’t care where you bought your gear from - all repairs are treated the same.

The “confusing info” out there is probably all coming from Nikon owners.

May 19, 2024 at 02:11 AM
an_also

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Does Canon Canada repair ‘grey market’ cameras/lenses if you pay?

Imagemaster wrote:
What grey market items specifically?

Canon Canada has a website. Simply find their contact information there and get in touch with them.

Most likely USA made cameras like the 1dx iii or r3 for example. There are some good deals on the FM buy and sell forum.just curious if down the road they need servicing if I would be screwed or not.

I tried contacting them. They are closed for the long weekend and they are non responsive to an email I sent.

May 19, 2024 at 06:59 AM
an_also

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Does Canon Canada repair ‘grey market’ cameras/lenses if you pay?

molson wrote:
Canon Canada doesn’t care where you bought your gear from - all repairs are treated the same.

The “confusing info” out there is probably all coming from Nikon owners.

Great thanks. That’s good to know.

May 19, 2024 at 07:02 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Does Canon Canada repair ‘grey market’ cameras/lenses if you pay?

an_also wrote:
Most likely USA made cameras like the 1dx iii or r3 for example. There are some good deals on the FM buy and sell forum.just curious if down the road they need servicing if I would be screwed or not.

I tried contacting them. They are closed for the long weekend and they are non responsive to an email I sent.

So you are asking about gear you don't even own? Of course they are closed on a weekend, so why would you expect an email response now?

Just go buy the gear and stop worrying about repairs. And there are independent repair shops that will repair Canon gear as well as other brands.

May 19, 2024 at 10:13 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

an_also

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Does Canon Canada repair ‘grey market’ cameras/lenses if you pay?

Imagemaster wrote:
So you are asking about gear you don't even own? Of course they are closed on a weekend, so why would you expect an email response now?

Just go buy the gear and stop worrying about repairs. And there are independent repair shops that will repair Canon gear as well as other brands.

Jesus Christ, lighten the hell up. Why are you so triggered at these questions.

I emailed them last week and they never responded. So i asked if anyone knew on the forums.

If all you’re gonna do is bash someone for asking questions, just keep your opinions to yourself.

May 19, 2024 at 11:50 AM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Does Canon Canada repair ‘grey market’ cameras/lenses if you pay?

Publicly they say maybe, maybe not. But they do repairs on grey market.

May 19, 2024 at 11:59 AM
misteracng

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Does Canon Canada repair ‘grey market’ cameras/lenses if you pay?

Also keep in mind that the Canon warranty in this region is USA is USA and Canada, both countries are kinda in the same area. I have not heard any issue with repair between these to countries.

May 20, 2024 at 09:13 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Does Canon Canada repair ‘grey market’ cameras/lenses if you pay?

misteracng wrote:
Also keep in mind that the Canon warranty in this region is USA is USA and Canada, both countries are kinda in the same area. I have not heard any issue with repair between these to countries.

Canon Canada is a subsidiary of Canon USA. Same products, same warranties.

May 20, 2024 at 09:32 AM
Llewtwo
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Does Canon Canada repair ‘grey market’ cameras/lenses if you pay?

All that will matter is whether they will fix yours when you send it in. I don't believe they have a stated or expressed policy that they won't repair grey market goods. Sigma will flat out tell you they won't and won't. Canon has serviced, through CPS, grey market bodies and lenses I have sent them for repair. If the item is out of warranty I don't think they care whether it is grey market or not so long as they can charge for the repair. I don't think they are going to guarantee that they will repair grey market goods though they very may will and have done.

May 21, 2024 at 01:59 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Does Canon Canada repair ‘grey market’ cameras/lenses if you pay?

an_also wrote:

I think you'd be OK. They would want a purchase receipt if you were claiming a warranty repair, but otherwise you just send it in and they send an estimate. Some of my EF lenses back in the days were US purchases, such as from B&H, and I never had out of warranty support denied by Canon Canada.

IIRC, this question came up some months ago and the 'official' position by Canon is that they may elect not to service grey market equipment.

Let us know what they tell you.

May 21, 2024 at 04:35 PM
an_also

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Does Canon Canada repair ‘grey market’ cameras/lenses if you pay?

Thanks. Appreciate the input.

May 21, 2024 at 05:51 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Does Canon Canada repair ‘grey market’ cameras/lenses if you pay?

Another factor at least with Canon was that products for the US and Canadian markets shipped with identical USA/Canada warranty cards (not sure if it's still the case the past few years), therefore US-origin products wouldn't have been considered grey by Canon Canada. Perhaps the exception would be if a vendor acquired US/Canada stock through other channels to sell in the same market - i.e. they weren't a Canon authorized dealer. But this would only affect warranty coverage. Where things are more 'grey' is from Amazon, for example. I haven't bought much Canon gear there, but did buy one accessory that was attractively priced. Its paperwork was clearly not for the USA/Canada market, therefore it was a grey market product. Would Canon Canada know this? Theoretically they might have a serial number database to check. In the past, some of Canon's camera model names were different for different markets, which helped easily identify intended market origin. For example the Rebel cameras here and Kiss elsewhere, or EOS-A2 here and EOS-5 elsewhere.

May 21, 2024 at 06:06 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.