New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Long term Q3

newyork
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Long term Q3

Wondering how the Q3 is doing for those of you that have used it for a while.
Happy with it?
Definitely improvement over the 2?

May 17, 2024 at 09:36 AM
RustyRus
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Long term Q3

Its the best Q yet-

Lots of posts about it but the improvements over the Q2 are drastic for me- Sepcifically USB-C charging and NEVER having to take my memory card out of my camera-

The Leica Fotos app and the Q3 transfer Raw files in mere seconds-

If I was on a budget, the Q2 and some prices I have seen is a steal though-

I have taken my Q3 on trip after trip and its rock solid and never misses a beat- The IQ is incredible although not the reason I would upgrade as well as the AF is improved with Eye AF.

I would have a very hard time ever parting with this camera- Its just a perfect, weather resistant IP rated camera for all situations a 28 (26 ish) fixed lens camera can provide-

Edited on May 17, 2024 at 10:19 AM · View previous versions

May 17, 2024 at 10:14 AM
newyork
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Long term Q3

I have seen the q2 and q2m the cheapest Iíve ever seen them very recently.

RustyRus wrote:
Its the best Q yet-

Lots of posts about it but the improvements over the Q2 are drastic for me- Sepcifically USB-C charging and NEVER having to take my memory card out of my camera-

The Leica Fotos app and the Q3 transfer Raw files in mere seconds-

If I was on a budget, the Q2 and some prices I have seen is a steal though-

May 17, 2024 at 10:17 AM
RustyRus
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Long term Q3

newyork wrote:
I have seen the q2 and q2m the cheapest Iíve ever seen them very recently.

Exactly- The Q2 is amazing and its great choice- I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger. Only real thing I 100% hated about the Q2 was no way to externally charge the camera. I travel almost every week and pack very light. Having to pack a charger pissed me off

The Q3 fixed all that thankfully- I was extremely happy with everything else about the Q2.

May 17, 2024 at 10:23 AM
newyork
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Long term Q3

Excellent!

May 17, 2024 at 10:26 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Long term Q3

I agree that the incredible 61mpx sensor, that the internal memory, USB charging, USB data transfer, and the Leica Fotos app, are my favorite features of the M11 as well. All combine to make the Q3 and the M11, easier to live with, travel with, and make images with, the most efficient package in photography.

May 17, 2024 at 10:46 AM
newyork
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Long term Q3

The 3 or m11 would be sweet. Iíve seen a beater q2 for $2700. Nice one for $3300. Q2M $3550.

Not to mention a 240 for $2500.

May 17, 2024 at 10:58 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Long term Q3

newyork wrote:
The 3 or m11 would be sweet. Iíve seen a beater q2 for $2700. Nice one for $3300. Q2M $3550.

Not to mention a 240 for $2500.

I hope the finances enable a return to leica for you soon.

May 17, 2024 at 11:49 AM
newyork
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Long term Q3

I do too. Likely not for a little bit but Iím looking and researching
Z8 is too big for some things so Iím looking at compact options

1bwana1 wrote:
I hope the finances enable a return to leica for you soon.

May 17, 2024 at 11:51 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Long term Q3

newyork wrote:
I do too. Likely not for a little bit but Iím looking and researching
Z8 is too big for some things so Iím looking at compact options

I know how you feel. The Z8 is way to big for me in all cases. Even more so which Nikon Z lenses. But you are much younger than me.

It seems like there are a number of nice small options coming out or soon to be released.

May 17, 2024 at 12:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Long term Q3

RustyRus wrote:
... a 28 (26 ish) fixed lens camera can provide-

27.08, per the measured specs on the patent.

Photons to Photos optical bench- Leica Q2 lens patent

May 17, 2024 at 12:47 PM
newyork
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Long term Q3

If Iím working alone and have time the z8 is fine. At home or birding or walking out in the woods etc as well as macro itís great.

Out in town or if Iím working with people or need a camera quick, itís too much. I suppose I could buy a pancake or Voigtlander or M lenses for it but itís still big

1bwana1 wrote:
I know how you feel. The Z8 is way to big for me in all cases. Even more so which Nikon Z lenses. But you are much younger than me.

It seems like there are a number of nice small options coming out or soon to be released.

May 17, 2024 at 12:57 PM
dylanp

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Long term Q3

newyork wrote:
Wondering how the Q3 is doing for those of you that have used it for a while.
Happy with it?
Definitely improvement over the 2?

I've used the Q2 since 2019 and I've had the Q3 for a few months now. For me the Q3 is worth the upgrade or choosing it over the Q2 if a tilt screen and tethering are important features.

Otherwise, I find that
- AF is more robust but there isn't really a difference IRL the way I use the camera.
- Q2 had enough resolution.
- USB charging is a nice option. But I use the charger 99% of the time. I can see circumstances where USB charging will be useful, however.

On a side note, I'm happy to see that the Q2 grip fits the Q3. Was able to get a used one on marketplace for a good price.

May 17, 2024 at 01:14 PM
itai195
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Long term Q3

Q2 is still a great camera, and I'd still be happy with one if I didn't have a Q3. I feel like I can rely solely on the Q3 in more situations than I could the Q2. The Q3's AF is still not nearly at the level of my A7R5, but it's significantly better than the Q2 and good enough for most use cases of mine whereas the Q2 was sometimes frustratingly pokey. The other big improvement for me is the tilt screen. I can get by without one but I greatly prefer a camera that has one. Q2 had enough resolution, so the sensor upgrade is nice but not as big of a deal for me.

May 17, 2024 at 01:34 PM
newyork
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Long term Q3

The AF is a nice touch. The screen sounds nice. I use that feature on my z8. Glad itís not a flip around one.

May 17, 2024 at 01:44 PM
gordec
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Long term Q3

I don't think Q3 is worth more than $2k over Q2 if you buy on classifieds. I still got the Q3 because all those little quality of life upgrades. If I never sold the Q2, I may have just kept shooting the Q2, but I missed that 28 Summilux.

To me the biggest upgrades are Leica foto with Leica looks, better wifi for slick transfer to my Ipad, better focus system (I use touch focus a lot, especially with screen flipped out), USB charging. I also have full warranty even though I bought it used here in like-new condition.

EVF doesn't feel any different than Q2 even though it's higher resolution, pictures look same as Q2 on my monitor. I think if you just want that look get the Q2. It's also weather sealed so you won't have dust issues like the OG Q.

May 17, 2024 at 03:55 PM
newyork
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Long term Q3

Iíll be a used Q or an M with a low profile 35 (or 28 and 50)

May 17, 2024 at 04:04 PM
Yarosuav
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Long term Q3

Iíve had the Q3 for about a year now, and love it. Having said that, the improvements over Q2 are more of ďquality of lifeĒ improvements than substantial changes.

USB C charging is great, no need to take the battery out anymore. So is the tilt screen, although the implementation is not great. Feels like half-assed attempt - only works in landscape mode, which makes it useless half the time, plus itís somewhat finicky to actually pull out.

AF is fine, but I had the Q2 before for a long time and didnít have issue with AF there either (neither is a sports camera).

Honestly pics from my Q3 kind of look the same as Q2Ö So if you can grab a Q2 at a good price, itís still a great camera.

I have a bunch of pics from both cameras on my website, you can go the the Gear section and take a loook.

May 17, 2024 at 06:26 PM
newyork
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Long term Q3

Iíll go take a look asap. Iíd likely use the charger for charging
Anyway.
I have found myself using my tilt screen more lately than I have in a while. Definitely can be helpful but not necessary.

AF is the only thing I can see as being a big deal but if itís not a huge improvement then meh.

Being stuck at 28, I can see 60mp being a nice thing but you also get used to seeing at 28 and probably crop less and less over time like anything else.

Howís iso around 6400? No big deal since thereís denoise in LR?

Yarosuav wrote:
Iíve had the Q3 for about a year now, and love it. Having said that, the improvements over Q2 are more of ďquality of lifeĒ improvements than substantial changes.

USB C charging is great, no need to take the battery out anymore. So is the tilt screen, although the implementation is not great. Feels like half-assed attempt - only works in landscape mode, which makes it useless half the time, plus itís somewhat finicky to actually pull out.

AF is fine, but I had the Q2 before for a long time and didnít have issue with AF there either (neither
...Show more

May 17, 2024 at 06:43 PM
newyork
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Long term Q3

Beautiful pics. Beautiful family. Thank you for sharing!

May 17, 2024 at 06:55 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.