Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4              end

Which Lenses on a lengthy Family European Vacation?

Craig Gillette
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Which Lenses on a lengthy Family European Vacation?

bravado67 wrote:
I did consider the 20-70 F4 but it will be nicer to have all the same filter threads. I'm not a fan of the power zoom since I will use the camera mostly for photos. I'll have my Pocket 3 for video. I also prefer the F2.8 for low-light performance. Hopefully, I got it right this time.

We used to joke that in any project, there came a time to shoot the engineers and go into production. One decides based on experience, preferences and study about the destinations, travel methods, etc. It's a vacation, not a business needing specific results, nor "photography trip," so go and enjoy.

May 21, 2024 at 01:42 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Which Lenses on a lengthy Family European Vacation?

Craig Gillette wrote:
We used to joke that in any project, there came a time to shoot the engineers and go into production. One decides based on experience, preferences and study about the destinations, travel methods, etc. It's a vacation, not a business needing specific results, nor "photography trip," so go and enjoy.

All my travel is also a photography trip. Why canít they be both?

May 21, 2024 at 01:58 PM
bravado67

p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Which Lenses on a lengthy Family European Vacation?

I have dealt with engineers, salespeople, and production. Sometimes, you need to remove them all to get anything done. Having fun will happen automatically. Enjoying family and photography has never been an issue. Indecision is merely my neural challenge and always resolved. The challenge when asking a large group for opinions is that it easily leads to decision paralysis. This is quite normal. The more options and opinions, the deeper the paralysis until you make a damn decision, informed or otherwise. I haven't picked up my cameras in a long time so this will feel fresh and new. I work nine days a week, 492 days a year having my own business so capturing a well-deserved vacation is due.

May 21, 2024 at 02:36 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Which Lenses on a lengthy Family European Vacation?

bravado67 wrote:
It is settled. After a bit more mind-screwing, fact-finding, and seeing so many more examples, I am going with three lenses. They all share the same filter thread size, which will be nice for my variable ND.

Lens #1 Sony 16-25mm 2.8
Lens #2 Sony 24-50mm 2.8
Lens #3 Sony 85mm 1.8

All are compact and light. Life can go on now.

Good kit. Enjoy your trip!

May 21, 2024 at 03:41 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Which Lenses on a lengthy Family European Vacation?

chez wrote:
All my travel is also a photography trip. Why canít they be both?

Your travel can be. Mine doesn't have to be.

May 21, 2024 at 03:48 PM
JD07

p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Which Lenses on a lengthy Family European Vacation?

Probably not relevant to you now, but FYI the 20-70mm f/4 doesn't have power zoom. The 16-35mm f/4 PZ is the one with power zoom.

bravado67 wrote:
I did consider the 20-70 F4 but it will be nicer to have all the same filter threads. I'm not a fan of the power zoom since I will use the camera mostly for photos. I'll have my Pocket 3 for video. I also prefer the F2.8 for low-light performance. Hopefully, I got it right this time.

May 21, 2024 at 04:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

swldstn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Which Lenses on a lengthy Family European Vacation?

bravado67 wrote:
I have dealt with engineers, salespeople, and production. Sometimes, you need to remove them all to get anything done. Having fun will happen automatically. Enjoying family and photography has never been an issue. Indecision is merely my neural challenge and always resolved. The challenge when asking a large group for opinions is that it easily leads to decision paralysis. This is quite normal. The more options and opinions, the deeper the paralysis until you make a damn decision, informed or otherwise. I haven't picked up my cameras in a long time so this will feel fresh and new. I work
...Show more

Well in my case, as an engineer myself, I canít be removed from the team shooting otherwise the work doesnít get done.
I am trying to travel with two bodies and three/four lenses. So my kit is evolving to
1. A7CR
2. A7CII
3. FE 24-50/2.8 G
4. FE 16-25/2.8 G but currently still using my Sigma 26-28/2.8 DG DN
5. a 35 prime which Iíve think will be the FE 35/1.8 even though I have the 35/1.4 GM and Sigma 35/2 I-series. May also consider Zeiss Batis 40/2 CF.
6. My 85/1.8 Zeiss Batis

The plan is to only take out a prime(s) when I now I need as faster or faster than f/2 and typically only ever one of the two.

May 21, 2024 at 04:31 PM
Newenglandrocks
• • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Which Lenses on a lengthy Family European Vacation?

swldstn wrote:
Well in my case, as an engineer myself, I canít be removed from the team shooting otherwise the work doesnít get done.
I am trying to travel with two bodies and three/four lenses. So my kit is evolving to
1. A7CR
2. A7CII
3. FE 24-50/2.8 G
4. FE 16-25/2.8 G but currently still using my Sigma 26-28/2.8 DG DN
5. a 35 prime which Iíve think will be the FE 35/1.8 even though I have the 35/1.4 GM and Sigma 35/2 I-series. May also consider Zeiss Batis 40/2 CF.
6. My 85/1.8 Zeiss Batis

The plan is to only take out a prime(s) when I now I
...Show more

I found shooting with the 85 difficult in Southern France when I was there last year. For me, at least, it seems that I shoot a lot between 28 and 55ish and then starting doing more compositions around 135+. Interesting that you are selecting the FE35. Care to expand on that? I have the same 35mm primes as yourself and I'm always reaching for the GM and Sigma and never mount the FE35 at this point. Although the 35GM is large, I just love walking around with it as an all day prime

May 21, 2024 at 05:05 PM
swldstn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Which Lenses on a lengthy Family European Vacation?

Newenglandrocks wrote:
I found shooting with the 85 difficult in Southern France when I was there last year. For me, at least, it seems that I shoot a lot between 28 and 55ish and then starting doing more compositions around 135+. Interesting that you are selecting the FE35. Care to expand on that? I have the same 35mm primes as yourself and I'm always reaching for the GM and Sigma and never mount the FE35 at this point. Although the 35GM is large, I just love walking around with it as an all day prime

The 35/1.4 is definitely my favorite but often itís weight is to much when shooting on my compact C bodies. So the attractor the FE 35/1.8 is its smaller size and weight and f/1.8 aperture. Itís going head to head against the Sigma 35/2 that does have an aperture ring. In the end you maybe right. For me it may take time to get to where you are.

May 21, 2024 at 06:46 PM
bravado67

p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Which Lenses on a lengthy Family European Vacation?

That will keep you busy. With as much walking as we will be doing I'm really happy with the three lenses and one body. My new retro camera bag arrived today and it's so nice!

May 21, 2024 at 07:25 PM
sandycrane
• • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Which Lenses on a lengthy Family European Vacation?

I've been traveling with a camera for over 50 years and I've discovered that the 20-70 is the lens I've always wanted. Easy to tack something at either end if needed, but extremely versatile on its own.

May 22, 2024 at 07:00 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.