Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Which Lenses on a lengthy Family European Vacation?

bravado67

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which Lenses on a lengthy Family European Vacation?

First post, so I could use some insight.

I am taking my family of four to Europe for 37 days and am having trouble deciding what lenses to take. We are traveling with carry-on only to London, Paris, Italy, Spain, and Portugal. This sounds like more work than pleasure, right?

I have the A7 Cii with the Sony16-25mm, 24mm 2.8, and 40mm 2.5 lenses. Originally, I would take the 24mm and 40mm primes. We will be visiting the typical touristy sites along with several off-the-beaten-path locations. I love architecture and street photography. I will also have a Pocket 3, which will likely be fixed to my sling strap to capture video and some vloging.

I think the 16-25mm would be good for places like the Vatican and other museums, as well as landscapes. The 24mm would be a good option for wide and street photography with great sharpness. The 40mm should make for some nice street photography.

In the back of my mind, I am thinking I should ditch the 24mm but it's such a great and light lens. Or, should the 16-25mm stay home? My Alpaca sling bag will hold everything but that's not an excuse to take everything.

Thanks for taking the time to listen to my indecisiveness. Any help is appreciated. At the end of the day we are trying to make memories and the eyes will always be the best lens but I want to capture the trip with my cameras too.

May 15, 2024 at 03:52 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which Lenses on a lengthy Family European Vacation?

I strongly recommend taking the 16-25. It's perfect for the type of traveling you're doing and what you like to shoot. You could ditch the 24- if your zoom is as good as the samples I tested at work, it's a better 24 in every objective measure except vignetting and flare resistance (though it's no slouch with the latter). Still, at sub 200g, I'd take the prime, too. It might come in handy, particularly as a back up should anything happen to the zoom.

May 15, 2024 at 04:20 PM
sonofjesse2010
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which Lenses on a lengthy Family European Vacation?

Take the 16-25mm. I would leave out the 24mm since the zoom covers it.

Do you have any longer lenses like 85mm or a 70-180mm?

May 15, 2024 at 04:32 PM
bravado67

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which Lenses on a lengthy Family European Vacation?

Good to know. The 16-25 will be here tomorrow so that I can do some testing.

May 15, 2024 at 04:45 PM
bravado67

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which Lenses on a lengthy Family European Vacation?

I have the Tamron 35-150mm but it's a beast to lug around for 30+ days. I love this lens but I will be leaving it home. I want to be somewhat discrete visiting countries I have not been to.

May 15, 2024 at 04:48 PM
tschopp
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which Lenses on a lengthy Family European Vacation?

I would think a one and done zoom would be ideal for the trip. Just keep things simple, no need to swap lenses. I myself would want something more tele for travel, but that is just me.

May 15, 2024 at 04:50 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which Lenses on a lengthy Family European Vacation?

What lenses do you normally shoot? I personally like shooting primes. I would leave the zoom at home and just use your two primes. Alternate between the primes and donít worry about the photos you are missingÖfocus on the photos you can get with the prime currently attached to your camera.

May 15, 2024 at 04:50 PM
bravado67

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which Lenses on a lengthy Family European Vacation?

This is how I am thinking as well. I suppose I could always leave one lens at the AirBnB or mix it up with different lenses different days. Thanks for the feedback.

May 15, 2024 at 04:53 PM
mudlake
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which Lenses on a lengthy Family European Vacation?

Sounds like a totally fun trip with your family. You'll make a lot of good memories.

Are you open to other lenses? With what you have, I'd take the 16-25 zoom, the 40/2.5, and then add the Sigma 90/2.8 for some telephoto images. It's very small very sharp. A good medium telephoto is always nice on vacation.

May 15, 2024 at 05:08 PM
patotts
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which Lenses on a lengthy Family European Vacation?

Get the Sony 20-70/4 G used here on FM for around $900, and then bring one prime, I'd go with the 40/2.5 for the days you want to be really light and small. Or a 55/1.8

May 15, 2024 at 05:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which Lenses on a lengthy Family European Vacation?

We decided not to try to do "carry-on" only for our trip. It's pretty individual. We planned our too and from flights with just one layover with plenty of time to reduce the potential for getting separated from our luggage. (We expected to use checked for some liquid souvenirs, too, on the return.) The travel in Europe was by train.

I would suggest sturdy wheels for anything you'd be expecting to wheel around as opposed to carrying. Streets and sidewalks in many places are stone or brick paved and trolley tracks are ever present, too. Luggage wheels will take a beating.

Although it didn't impact us, no small number of folks push the limits on "carry-on" and we've seen a few forced gate checks over time.

You've got the 16-25 already. I have a 17-28/2.8 and kind of think for some travel, a 16-35 might be a bit better for "urban" walk around. Now, I've got that paired with a 28-200 and that works well for me. I just want and use longer, topping out at 35mm, 50mm or even 70mm wouldn't do it for me.

May 15, 2024 at 07:58 PM
bravado67

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Which Lenses on a lengthy Family European Vacation?

I have a Tamron 35-150, Sigma 24-70, and Sony 20mm 1.8 for my A7 iv which I am leaving home due to their size and weight. With the A7 Cii I want compact lenses. My 24mm and 40mm are new to me but I love the idea of using prime lenses which will force me to be more creative. The 16-25mm was out of concern my 24mm would not be wide enough in tight spaces.

May 15, 2024 at 08:26 PM
bravado67

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Which Lenses on a lengthy Family European Vacation?

I'll check that lens out. Thanks!

May 15, 2024 at 08:30 PM
bravado67

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Which Lenses on a lengthy Family European Vacation?

I already have a Sigma 24-70mm 2.8 but it's big and heavy so staying home. It was my first lens on my A7 iv. It's a great lens.

May 15, 2024 at 08:32 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Which Lenses on a lengthy Family European Vacation?

I would maybe go three lenses the 16-25 the 40 and maybe a small 75. All you will need

May 15, 2024 at 09:13 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Which Lenses on a lengthy Family European Vacation?

I'm usually doing more "outdoors" travel in the western US so before our trip to Europe last year and after getting some new gear, I made an effort to get to some local historic areas and museums, etc., to practice on the sorts of buildings and interiors which were perhaps a little more like what i was anticipating for Europe compared to my usual haunts.

For example, I decided I may like my "new" Samyang 24/1.8 better on my A7Riv than as a 36mm on my A6700. Both were quite good so very useful. But it also reminded me of why I like zooms instead of primes at times, too.

May 15, 2024 at 09:17 PM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Which Lenses on a lengthy Family European Vacation?

Iíd leave the 24mm prime as you have the zoom. On the other hand, if you donít take it you will be forced to use just the 40 and 24mm, which you may find simplifying, or frustrating if you are the type that thinks every possible framing of a subject is necessary. I donít really see the value in taking both the zoom and the 24 prime. The 16-25 is not a big lens.

May 15, 2024 at 10:38 PM
mojoh
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Which Lenses on a lengthy Family European Vacation?

A7CII + 16-25G +
a) 40G or,
b) 24-50G or,
c) 20-70G
+ 70-200 GII macro

May 16, 2024 at 02:37 AM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Which Lenses on a lengthy Family European Vacation?

I am surprised you don't have any fast primes. When I travel, I want what most don't have (wide and narrow DOF).

We are going to Europe next month and will probably bring my 17-28 and my 85 f/1.4

I can't imagine *not* going with something to create artistic bokeh with shallow DOF

g

May 16, 2024 at 03:40 AM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Which Lenses on a lengthy Family European Vacation?

A7CR + FE 20/1.8 G, be done.

K-H.

May 16, 2024 at 03:49 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.