FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Gator Stalking a Dragon & Webbed talons gripping a branch

Erictator
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gator Stalking a Dragon & Webbed talons gripping a branch

I thought this was kind of a fun shot, wished I had my 200-600 with me, but had decided to try out travelling light this day... The 200mm w/ 1.4x just doesn't have the same kind of compression and nowhere near the reach. 280mm lends itself to more of a botanical garden combo for chasing insects and flowers... Once you get used to 600mm, you get spoiled for reach, heh.

Sony ILCE-7RM5 FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II + 1.4X Teleconverter /5.6 280.0 mm 1/1250 iso250

Sony ILCE-7RM5 FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II + 1.4X Teleconverter /5.6 230.0 mm 1/1250 iso640

May 15, 2024 at 10:11 AM
louie champan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gator Stalking a Dragon & Webbed talons gripping a branch

Great shots Eric, that first shot is a killer. Was the Alligator after that blue dragonfly sitting on the lilly pad?

May 15, 2024 at 10:38 AM
csinseattle
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gator Stalking a Dragon & Webbed talons gripping a branch

Eric,

Good shots, I know your pain about having that right lens for those shots, but I enjoy my 600.

Chris S.

May 15, 2024 at 11:01 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gator Stalking a Dragon & Webbed talons gripping a branch

You caught the eye of the male anhinga wonderfully Eric. As for reach, there is nothing like having more! That is except when it's an 800mm prime and your subject is 4 feet away!

Morris

May 15, 2024 at 03:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sum1sgrampa
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gator Stalking a Dragon & Webbed talons gripping a branch

Yeah, I'm not sure 200mm would be my first choice for shooting gators Nice work !
Gary

May 15, 2024 at 06:26 PM
johnohio
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gator Stalking a Dragon & Webbed talons gripping a branch

Hi Eric. Looks like you caught a gator doing what gators do That's quite a grip with those webbed feet. I think I agree with Gary, I would like to have more than 200 mm between me and any gator. I'm old and don't move as fast as I use too.

John

May 16, 2024 at 05:39 AM
Erictator
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Gator Stalking a Dragon & Webbed talons gripping a branch

louie champan wrote:
Great shots Eric, that first shot is a killer. Was the Alligator after that blue dragonfly sitting on the lilly pad?

Thanks Louie! I'm not certain the intent, he flew off before the gator got any closer, heh.
---------------------------------------------

csinseattle wrote:
Eric,

Good shots, I know your pain about having that right lens for those shots, but I enjoy my 600.

Chris S.

Thanks Chris! Murphy's law is a cast iron, well, you know...

morris wrote:
You caught the eye of the male anhinga wonderfully Eric. As for reach, there is nothing like having more! That is except when it's an 800mm prime and your subject is 4 feet away!

Morris

Thanks Morris! Again, see the Murphy's Law complaint desk. I keep dropping notes in Murphy's suggestion box but he won't change the dern law!

sum1sgrampa wrote:
Yeah, I'm not sure 200mm would be my first choice for shooting gators Nice work !
Gary

It sure wasn't mine either! Thanks Gary!

johnohio wrote:
Hi Eric. Looks like you caught a gator doing what gators do That's quite a grip with those webbed feet. I think I agree with Gary, I would like to have more than 200 mm between me and any gator. I'm old and don't move as fast as I use too.

John

Thanks John, appreciate the comments. I don't move too bad yet, but I was on the far bank of the pond and had my escape route planned. The real issue with ANY body of water in Florida isn't the gator you see, it is the gator you DONT see, submerged just in front of you, ready to explode out of the water and ruin your day as you are looking at the one on the opposite bank.

Eric

May 16, 2024 at 10:35 AM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Gator Stalking a Dragon & Webbed talons gripping a branch

Ahh, the pose you see most often of Ahinga's drying there feathers.. Nicely done Eric !!

May 16, 2024 at 02:45 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.