FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Peregrine landing sequence

sum1sgrampa
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Peregrine landing sequence

I hope for this type of shot every time I visit this site. Every other time I've flat out missed it or the bird landed with his back to me. If you could see the bird coming in from a distance it would be relatively easy but that's not the case. He disappears behind the cliff face and then appears out of nowhere and is on the branch in an instant. I think this is a situation where the increased dof of the 4/3 system helped me out a bit as I was prefocused on the branch. I believe I was at 15fps. All shots in succession.Your comments and critiques appreciated.
Gary

OM-1    OLYMPUS M.100-400mm F5.0-6.3 lens    261mm    f/6.1    1/2500s    1250 ISO    0.0 EV  

OM-1    OLYMPUS M.100-400mm F5.0-6.3 lens    261mm    f/6.1    1/2500s    1250 ISO    0.0 EV  

May 15, 2024 at 10:05 AM
louie champan
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Peregrine landing sequence

Incredible set Gary, you nailed this shots.

May 15, 2024 at 10:36 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Peregrine landing sequence

The third is my pick here Gary. It's a great shot and tells the whole story as everyone will expect it to make a successful at landing.

Morris

May 15, 2024 at 10:49 AM
csinseattle
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Peregrine landing sequence

Gary,

Very nice sequence, I share your pain to capture that right shot, but like you, when you get it, it makes your day

Chris S.

May 15, 2024 at 10:56 AM
Erictator
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Peregrine landing sequence

Very cool, you nailed it! Is this one where there were any pre-shot captures or whatever they call it? I think its Olympus that does that feature, yes?
Either way, super nice sequence Gary!
Eric

May 15, 2024 at 02:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sum1sgrampa
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Peregrine landing sequence

louie champan wrote:
Incredible set Gary, you nailed this shots.

Thanks Louie
---------------------------------------------

morris wrote:
The third is my pick here Gary. It's a great shot and tells the whole story as everyone will expect it to make a successful at landing.

Morris

Thanks Morris

csinseattle wrote:
Gary,

Very nice sequence, I share your pain to capture that right shot, but like you, when you get it, it makes your day

Chris S.

Thanks Chris. I can't help but think if I was at 30fps that the shot in between #2 and #3 would have been "the one".

Erictator wrote:
Very cool, you nailed it! Is this one where there were any pre-shot captures or whatever they call it? I think its Olympus that does that feature, yes?
Either way, super nice sequence Gary!
Eric

Thanks Eric. Both the OM-1 and my Z9 have the precapture feature but I didn't use it here. There are no empty frames before that first shot. I just turned quickly, focused on the branch and fired when I saw him dive. It just happened that he rose up to the branch when I started clicking. Rereading my post I can see it was a bit misleading. I wasn't actually prefocused on the branch. I just turned and focused on the branch, and by the time I jammed the shutter, he was already in frame. If I would have waited for him to come into view I would have missed him.

May 15, 2024 at 02:57 PM
Erictator
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Peregrine landing sequence

sum1sgrampa wrote:
Thanks Louie

Thanks Morris

Thanks Chris. I can't help but think if I was at 30fps that the shot in between #2 and #3 would have been "the one".

Thanks Eric. Both the OM-1 and my Z9 have the precapture feature but I didn't use it here. There are no empty frames before that first shot. I just turned quickly, focused on the branch and fired when I saw him dive. It just happened that he rose up to the branch when I started clicking. Rereading my post I can see it was a bit misleading. I wasn't actually prefocused on the
...Show more

That's cool, I was just curious because it sounds like an enviable feature that could really come in handy. Have you had occasion to use and did it "save your bacon" so to speak? Just curious if it's something that sounds better in a sales pitch than reality, like how some people feel about pixel shift, etc or if it's a really useful thing? I would imagine for BIF and other time critical things (maybe the wedding kiss or a slap shot of a hockey puck zipping into the net, race car crossing the finish line? I dunno, heh) it could be an image saver of sorts?
Eric

May 15, 2024 at 03:55 PM
sum1sgrampa
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Peregrine landing sequence

Erictator wrote:
That's cool, I was just curious because it sounds like an enviable feature that could really come in handy. Have you had occasion to use and did it "save your bacon" so to speak? Just curious if it's something that sounds better in a sales pitch than reality, like how some people feel about pixel shift, etc or if it's a really useful thing? I would imagine for BIF and other time critical things (maybe the wedding kiss or a slap shot of a hockey puck zipping into the net, race car crossing the finish line? I dunno, heh) it
...Show more

Actually Eric, it could have come in handy in my scenario with this bird. But my approach would have had to have been a little different. If I knew he was about to approach I could have focused on the branch, kept the shutter pressed halfway to activate precapature, and then when I saw him and reacted to him and fired the shutter I would have had the buffered frames before I actually pressed the shutter button. But in this situation, I would have been sitting for over an hour with a half-depressed shutter button waiting. A bit unrealistic. In my scenario, I was standing around waiting for over an hour not knowing if he would be returning or not. When I saw him streaking in and then disappear below the cliff face I quickly turned and focused on the branch and fired. He was already there. Just dumb luck that I caught his approach.
One scenario where precapture would work is if you're focused on a perched bird and waiting for him to takeoff. As you probably know, most of these larger birds will poop just before they're ready to takeoff. So when you see that happen you can half depress the shutter and then fire when you actually see them liftoff. A lot can happen in the time it takes you to react and press the shutter fully. But now you would have the buffered images before you pushed the shutter button. So I would say it can be very useful. I wouldn't consider it a gimmick at all.
And to answer your question, I always forget about it so no, I haven't really used it. But I should

May 15, 2024 at 06:17 PM
johnohio
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Peregrine landing sequence

Gary you always have great Peregrine shots ! Im envious

John

May 16, 2024 at 05:53 AM
sum1sgrampa
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Peregrine landing sequence

johnohio wrote:
Gary you always have great Peregrine shots ! Im envious

John

Thanks John. That's very kind.
You just need to plan the trip

May 16, 2024 at 07:00 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.