New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              3              9       10       end

Canon r1 official announcement.

bernardl
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon r1 official announcement.

If this is a not an official announcement that Canon is facing unexpected major technical issues in the development of the cameraÖ

The a1 was already shipping for months 3 years ago and the Z9 tech announcement already done. Sony will announce the a1II 2 weeks after the R1, Nikon will do the same with Z9IIÖ and Canon will be 3 years behind all over again. I admire your patience guys!

Sorry, useless post but I just couldnít believe my eyes when I read the DPreview article earlier today. I wonder how many corporate clients will finally give up as a result of this delay. I am sure they were promised working R1s for the Olympics, not half baked prototypes 6 months from availability.

Edited on May 15, 2024 at 07:30 AM · View previous versions

May 15, 2024 at 07:03 AM
patotts
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon r1 official announcement.

That is the biggest nothing-sandwich that has ever been served. Just give up some some specs at least.

May 15, 2024 at 07:04 AM
jedibrain
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon r1 official announcement.

snapsy wrote:
The Petapixel guys said the rumor is around 30MP and that Canon has had development issues with the buffer, which implies issues with development of a new DIGIC since that ASIC is responsible for buffer performance. This is consistent with the announcement stating that the R1 will use the existing DIGIC X processor from 5 years ago, but paired with a coprocessor to add functionality. Note that this podcast was recorded before this R1 announcement - the fact they were discussing it means they weren't under NDA, which means they didn't know a development announcement was imminent.

Starts at 10:40

You really think they'd skip back to the R5/R6 Digic X, and not use the faster more efficient Digic x in the R6II/R8? Come on man. The announcement does not say what you said it does. It does not say enough for us to know if they are using an existing version, or a new version. That's your bias, or Petapixel's bias showing there.

Brian

May 15, 2024 at 07:12 AM
big country
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon r1 official announcement.

Here what Iíve been told by my reliable sources:

R1 was originally slated to be announced w/specs late first quarter 2024.
The specs leaked and canon got a lot of blow back from everyone over a 30
Megapixel sensor. Canons original feeling was you donít need all those megapixels.
However need vs want is a delicate line and the market is demanding high resolution like a1, z9.
After much blowback from everyone including their explorers of light, canon went back to the drawing
Board and started reworking and revamping everything, especially the sensor.

This is why it kept getting pushed back. The next announcement was going to q2, with working cameras in pros hands in time for the Olympics, and now the target is by the end of the year.

May 15, 2024 at 07:39 AM
Jeff
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canon r1 official announcement.

Pffffft!

May 15, 2024 at 07:43 AM
IlyaSnopchenko
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canon r1 official announcement.

No hard information whatsoever.

May 15, 2024 at 07:44 AM
bernardl
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canon r1 official announcement.

big country wrote:

Megapixel sensor. Canons original feeling was you donít need all those megapixels.
However need vs want is a delicate line and the market is demanding high resolution like a1, z9.
After much blowback from everyone including their explorers of light, canon went back to the drawing

This is why it kept getting pushed back. The
...Show more

If they did decide to redesign the sensor that is a 1+ year delay at best.

Cheers,
Bernard

May 15, 2024 at 08:00 AM
juststeve
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Canon r1 official announcement.

Smoke has been blown.

May 15, 2024 at 08:01 AM
Sy Sez
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Canon r1 official announcement.

middlerockies wrote:
ďSports sports sports.Ē I was under the impression they were going to go with a jack-of-all-trades based on 1) the R3 was the pro sports camera this time around, and 2) both Sony and Nikon have a jack-of-all-trades, high MP, high speed camera as their flagship. So Canon will have two sports cameras as their flagships and nothing to compete with the A1 and Z9 on MP and speed?

Canon's "1" series has always been their professional sports-oriented body where high MP is not a major priority.

The R3 is likely a stop-gap model to produce an "R" series sports body while the R1 was still in development.

If there is to be a R3 Mark-2, it may become the high speed, high MP, "jack of all trades"?

May 15, 2024 at 08:14 AM
middlerockies

p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Canon r1 official announcement.

big country wrote:

...Show more

If itís 30MP we can all buckle up for another 4 years of complaining about it, thatís for sure.

Considering what Jaron from Petapixel said in his last article about the buffer issue, as well this new quote from todayís,

ďAfter multiple adjustments, including what PetaPixel sources say was an issue with the sensor back in 2022, Canon has finally crested the hillÖĒ,

itís possible that Canon realized 30MP was not enough last year, scrambled to work on a larger MP sensor, and that is the version which is giving them buffer issues due to larger file sizes. This could explain the ďpossible late 2024Ē wiggle, as well.

May 15, 2024 at 08:24 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

lighthound
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Canon r1 official announcement.

Anyone else notice that most of the post in this thread are from fanboys of the competition?

And it's only going to get better once they announce the other 4 cameras.

Edited on May 15, 2024 at 08:41 AM · View previous versions

May 15, 2024 at 08:31 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Canon r1 official announcement.

lighthound wrote:
Anyone else notice that most of the post in this thread are from fanboys of the the competition?

And it's only going to get better once they announce the other 4 cameras.

Everyone enjoys a good laugh, system of choice be damned, and DAMN is this funny!

May 15, 2024 at 08:33 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Canon r1 official announcement.

They can't even guarantee 2024.....all they are doing is "aiming" for 2024. That is pretty sad.

I think the only reason we are getting this "announcement" is so the camera can go into the hands of the Olympic photographers without it having to be hidden and leaked.

Sounds like an actual on sale date will be late 2024 at best. Right in time for the A1II and maybe even Z9II to be released. End of 2024, early 2025 is going to be a death match between the three titans. Can't wait to see how it all shakes out

The more interesting news and camera for today is Jan's specs for the R5II from his trusted sources that have been accurate for past announcements of R6II and 200-800. That is the camera people will actually be able to buy in 2024 (likely July if rumours are to be believed).

Edited on May 15, 2024 at 08:43 AM · View previous versions

May 15, 2024 at 08:41 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Canon r1 official announcement.

lol.. this was such a huge letdown.

My only guess as to why they even bothered with this announcement is that the camera is so far away they wanted to assure people that it was coming (eventually).

May 15, 2024 at 08:43 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Canon r1 official announcement.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1854707/

Post #11

May 15, 2024 at 08:48 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Canon r1 official announcement.

I agree at least that the R5II is the more relevant camera for the majority of the market.

There is some precedent for this kind of Canon development announcement ahead of the Olympics. It happened back in 2012 with the 200-400, which was available for select photographers at the London Olympics and afterwards, but it wasn't released to the general market until May 2013. At that time the delay may have been due to the cascade of production delays that resulted from the 2011 earthquake. IIRC the v2 super-teles were also delayed. More recently, Canon announced development of the R3 in April 2021, also ahead of the one-year delayed Tokyo Olympics. The actual product announcement (with full specs) was in September 2021, with limited shipments beginning in November 2021. It's at least foreseeable that the R1 may follow a similar timeline, like it or not.

Now, with the R1's already lengthy market absence, it certainly would not look good for Canon to only ship it to us mortals at the end of the year, or heaven forbid, in 2025. But probably from an accounting perspective, the R5II will sell multiple times more and may justify prioritized development and release, given that it too is perceived as overdue.

May 15, 2024 at 09:11 AM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Canon r1 official announcement.

big country wrote:

...Show more

This makes sense and is in alignment with video below. It's likely this is the second time Canon has returned to the drawing board to start over with the R1 design. Canon should just get it out already no matter what the R1 specs are because it's not going to avoid getting embarrassed by Sony with the A1 mkII.

10:40 to 19:40:

May 15, 2024 at 10:23 AM
patotts
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Canon r1 official announcement.

And still nothing on fast 24mm and 35mm RF primes.

Canon R5 Mk II sounds a lot more interesting for my shooting envelope.

May 15, 2024 at 10:48 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Canon r1 official announcement.

jedibrain wrote:
You really think they'd skip back to the R5/R6 Digic X, and not use the faster more efficient Digic x in the R6II/R8? Come on man. The announcement does not say what you said it does. It does not say enough for us to know if they are using an existing version, or a new version. That's your bias, or Petapixel's bias showing there.

Brian

Not sure why you're thinking I meant they would skip back to the DIGIC Xin the R5/R6. It's also not clear the DIGIC X in the R6II/R8 is sufficient by itself to maintain a reasonable buffer size for a flagship for whatever resolution Canon has planned for it.

May 15, 2024 at 11:04 AM
m43forme
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Canon r1 official announcement.

patotts wrote:
That is the biggest nothing-sandwich that has ever been served. Just give up some some specs at least.

I was thinking the exact same thing. There was no material information in there worthy of a release.

May 15, 2024 at 11:29 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.