Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Thinner, cheaper matboard to function as a "backer board"?

oguruma
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Thinner, cheaper matboard to function as a "backer board"?

I tend to print between 1-4 of my favorite photos from each session in an 8x10 or 5x7, mainly to show to others (people see pictures on screens all day, so it's nice to show off prints from time to time), and to store and sometimes give as impromptu gifts to others.

I use the acid-free polypropylene sleeves so people can handle them without worrying about fingerprints/smudges. I'd probably have use a larger size sleeve to account for the additional thickness (for instance use an 8.5x11 sleeve for 8x10s) but that's not a big deal.

I'd like to use something like a piece of thin matboard behind each photo to make them more ridgid. I tried using printer cardstock paper, but it's not quite thick enough.

Just to clarify, I'm talking about putting a piece of stock behind the photo that are the exact same dimensions as the photo merely to beef them up - I'm not talking about matting them as you would in a frame.

Photo matboard would work, but most of the ones the local frame shop has are a bit too thick, and it would get kind of expensive to use that stuff just for the purpose of stiffening the photos up.

Does anybody know of something that is somewhere inbetween cardstock and matboard that might work for this?

May 14, 2024 at 07:58 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Thinner, cheaper matboard to function as a "backer board"?

I personally would matte each print and skip the sleeves. The matte would provide a nice place for people to put their fingers as they view the print. Looking at prints through a shiny sleeve does nothing for me. I want to view the prints without anything obstructing the surface.

Store the matted prints in clamshell boxes.

This is what I do with my prints.

May 14, 2024 at 08:56 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Thinner, cheaper matboard to function as a "backer board"?

You probably want 2 ply matboard (1/2 thickness of conventional 4 ply) unless that is what you were looking at in your frame shop and is too thick.

Google had quite a variety of prices but this is reasonable for a 25 pack of 8x10
https://www.archivalmethods.com/product/pearl-white-conservation-board-br-2-ply

May 15, 2024 at 05:01 AM
sbay
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Thinner, cheaper matboard to function as a "backer board"?

Most of the show kits I see vendors selling are 4-ply backer board (1/16") but I know you can get 2-ply as well. Personally I prefer 1/8" foam core. They are not very expensive as long as you buy in bulk (say 25 or more). People go for the thinner backers not to save money but rather to save space when stacking a bunch of them.

If you have those clear poly bags, they are typically sized large enough so that you can fit 3/16" foam core with a 4ply mat in it. E.g. an 8x10 clear bag will be a bit bigger than that to accommodate an actual 8x10 matted print.

May 15, 2024 at 10:00 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.