Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              4       end
  

GF platform for street and travel?

  
 
JadedWriter
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · GF platform for street and travel?


Yeah that's my thought process. I think there's something about the three different companies trying to interpret each other that just was not working right. Never bothered with the 70-200FL I have because I bought that lens specifically to avoid the 50-140 2.8 and wanted something faster. I got faster, but wonky AF, which I just got tired of putting up with. Seems to work well enough with the 500PF, but I don't run that combo too much because the working distance is not fun, especially if I'm too close to the subject.
gear-nut wrote:
So just to clarify, you were using the Fringer Nikon adapter, but with a Sigma Nikon zoom lens? I wonder if Nikon G primes would work better?





May 16, 2024 at 09:46 AM
mark1958
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · GF platform for street and travel?


Jack.. I tried to use the GFX for street and travel and honestly it did not work out well. Too much weight and my back is not what it used to be. What lenses would you use? I started with the GFX100 at the time it was released and there were not as many lens choices at that time. The 32-64, 80mm and 120 mm macro were what I tended to carry around.


May 19, 2024 at 10:28 PM
gear-nut
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · GF platform for street and travel?




mark1958 wrote:
Jack.. I tried to use the GFX for street and travel and honestly it did not work out well. Too much weight and my back is not what it used to be. What lenses would you use? I started with the GFX100 at the time it was released and there were not as many lens choices at that time. The 32-64, 80mm and 120 mm macro were what I tended to carry around.

I would probably just use the 32-64 and 20-35. But I hear you on size. The body isnít bad, but the lenses are behemoths.

Iím currently playing around with the X system. I started with an XT5, but recently grabbed an XH2. The XT5 is ďcuteĒ and works, but the XH2 is more a seamless tool. I need a few more weeks with it to decide. But the camera, 10-24, 16-55 and 50-140 are easy enough to carry and generate better than expected images. Not GFX 100 mp class, but definitely hold its own against Fx, and then more versatile glass thatís still easily schlepped.



May 19, 2024 at 11:00 PM
Makten
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · GF platform for street and travel?


I hope I'm not the only one not "needing" to cover every focal length and photographic purpose just because I travel. I'd be happy travelling with only the 35-70 or the 50.


May 20, 2024 at 04:47 AM
mark1958
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · GF platform for street and travel?


gear-nut wrote:
Jack.. Why not a Sony A7RV and the 24-70 II 2.8. There newer 24-70 is smaller, lighter and so much better corner to corner than their version 1. Also some of the wide angle 12 or 14mm zooms are also quite good. The newer 70-200mm f2.8 is also a lot smaller than version 1 and are a very good lens.

I would probably just use the 32-64 and 20-35. But I hear you on size. The body isnít bad, but the lenses are behemoths.

Iím currently playing around with the X system. I started with an XT5, but recently grabbed
...Show more




May 20, 2024 at 02:17 PM
stgrove
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · GF platform for street and travel?


gear-nut wrote:
An excellent point. For me travel is a lot about photography. I understand itís not that way for a lot of folks.


I also feel your way about travel so I take whatever system suits me. For example on my last driving trip from FL to West TX, I took, Q3, M11 and M11M plus M6 and 9 lenses, SL3 and SL2S and 6 lenses and 50SII and 3 lenses-which was all I had. When I get the little 50/3.5 for the Fuji GFX that would be perfect with a med-long zoom like the 45-100. That said I very much like the 35-70.

I will be getting the 100SII once shipping.

Edited on May 20, 2024 at 02:40 PM · View previous versions



May 20, 2024 at 02:37 PM
gear-nut
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · GF platform for street and travel?




mark1958 wrote:

I cannot jive with the Sony ergos, so Sony is a non-starter for me.



May 20, 2024 at 02:39 PM
gear-nut
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · GF platform for street and travel?




stgrove wrote:
I also feel your way about travel so I take whatever system suits me. For example on my last driving trip from FL to West TX, I took, Q3, M11 and M11M plus M6 and 9 lenses, SL3 and SL2S and 6 lenses and 50SII and 3 lenses-which was all I had. When I get the little 50/3.5 for the Fuji GFX that would be perfect with a med-long zoom like the 45-100. That said I very much like the 35-70.

I will be getting the 100SII once shipping.

I only take it all if Iím driving. Anything else I pare down.



May 20, 2024 at 02:41 PM
stgrove
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · GF platform for street and travel?


gear-nut wrote:
I only take it all if Iím driving. Anything else I pare down.


Me too, but even then the GFX+little 50 or my latest favorite small lens the 35-70 works for me. Of course it all depends on what and where.



May 20, 2024 at 02:43 PM
JadedWriter
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · GF platform for street and travel?


I shot Sony for a few years. Ended up being my least favorite system since I stopped really caring about the stuff after getting a Z6II. Apparently I would have to buy an A7RV to get good colors. F that. I can buy an XT2 and get good colors so I don't know what Sony's excuse is. Between the ergos, color science and how much editing you need to do with a file on top of how douchey that userbase is I gladly got rid of my Sony system.
gear-nut wrote:
I cannot jive with the Sony ergos, so Sony is a non-starter for me.





May 20, 2024 at 03:24 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

gear-nut
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · GF platform for street and travel?


stgrove wrote:
Me too, but even then the GFX+little 50 or my latest favorite small lens the 35-70 works for me. Of course it all depends on what and where.


Agree 100 -- I love the little 50 on my GFX as a walkaround combo.



May 20, 2024 at 04:02 PM
thrice
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · GF platform for street and travel?


Have you tried profiling your Sonys? I found it fixed a lot of my misgivings about the A7RII. Likewise when I've done spectral mods to enhance IR sensitivities with cameras in the past it has allowed me to shift the colours to better accuracy.

JadedWriter wrote:
I shot Sony for a few years. Ended up being my least favorite system since I stopped really caring about the stuff after getting a Z6II. Apparently I would have to buy an A7RV to get good colors. F that. I can buy an XT2 and get good colors so I don't know what Sony's excuse is. Between the ergos, color science and how much editing you need to do with a file on top of how douchey that userbase is I gladly got rid of my Sony system.





May 20, 2024 at 06:48 PM
gear-nut
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · GF platform for street and travel?




JadedWriter wrote:
I shot Sony for a few years. Ended up being my least favorite system since I stopped really caring about the stuff after getting a Z6II. Apparently I would have to buy an A7RV to get good colors. F that. I can buy an XT2 and get good colors so I don't know what Sony's excuse is. Between the ergos, color science and how much editing you need to do with a file on top of how douchey that userbase is I gladly got rid of my Sony system.


You and I seem to have a lot in common. At least re gear preferences.



May 20, 2024 at 07:18 PM
JadedWriter
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · GF platform for street and travel?


Can't profile what doesn't exist anymore. Stopped shooting Sony...let me check Flickr...January 19, 2023. I was just like, "I'm done" and I'm not buying into that brand again. Got into GFX and I actually enjoy shooting that system. Stuff looks good out the gate. Nikon's my speed system for events, X mount is also a good enough system. Nobody is complaining about my output after getting rid of Sony so it feels like a system that you buy when you want FX just as small as possible or you go on YouTube and pick Sony because you got brainwashed. I like some heft and I want to support the two smaller companies that are the roots of me getting into photography.
thrice wrote:
Have you tried profiling your Sonys? I found it fixed a lot of my misgivings about the A7RII. Likewise when I've done spectral mods to enhance IR sensitivities with cameras in the past it has allowed me to shift the colours to better accuracy.






May 20, 2024 at 07:38 PM
JadedWriter
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · GF platform for street and travel?


We are clearly both nuts, but in a good way
gear-nut wrote:
You and I seem to have a lot in common. At least re gear preferences.





May 20, 2024 at 07:39 PM
mark1958
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · GF platform for street and travel?


Wow no love for Sony here. I had some great street photography in Montreal.
Check the people images
https://mark-kay-photography.smugmug.com/Travel/Montreal-People-and-Places-2022

But I am struggling what to take when I travel. I am doing a fair bit of work travel and sometimes take extra time when going to new or interesting places. I have tried and still using the Leica M11 because of its size. I take the M11 and 4 or so lenses

Edited on May 20, 2024 at 10:52 PM · View previous versions



May 20, 2024 at 10:49 PM
gear-nut
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · GF platform for street and travel?




mark1958 wrote:
Wow no love for Sony here. I had some great street photography in Montreal.
Check the people images
https://mark-kay-photography.smugmug.com/Travel/Montreal-People-and-Places-2022

Again, I just never enjoyed using their cameras.



May 20, 2024 at 10:50 PM
mark1958
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · GF platform for street and travel?



Variety Is the spice of life

gear-nut wrote:
Again, I just never enjoyed using their cameras.





May 20, 2024 at 11:03 PM
flashedbyneeko
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · GF platform for street and travel?


For my EDC kit, I currently use the GFX 100 II with the OVF removed, which I keep in the bag for a more compact setup. I typically attach either the GF 63mm f/2.8 or the Fringer Pro adapter with the Canon 40mm STM f/2.8. The Canon lens transforms it into a GFX100 (an X100V/VI killer) for me, and I donít mind the weight. When I need a bit more reach, I switch to the 63mm.

Additionally, I have the Tamron SP trio (35mm, 45mm, and 85mm f/1.8). These lenses are fantastic, especially the 85mm! I initially got the 35mm to serve as my Leica Q2/Q3 killer, but honestly, I haven't shot as much with the 35mm and 45mm, even though theyíre both excellent. I just really enjoy the compact size of the Canon 40mm. Itís also great on the GFX 50R when I donít need the autofocus speed of the 100 II.

I thought about selling the GFX 50R, but I love the form factor too much. I use it when I have time to slow down or when Iím using the GF 45-100mm, and it backs up the 100 II with the 20-35mm for landscape work. I traded all my Sony gear (A7R V) to get the 100 II after seeing the images my dealer took at a Fuji event, and I was blown away. Yes, itís bigger and heavier, but I love the colors, and having all the film simulations plus a digital XPAN mode in my bag made it worth it for me.

When Iím not focused on landscapes or want the highest image quality, I drop the resolution to Medium to keep file sizes smaller. I also have an adapter to quickly transfer files to my iPhone or iPad for editing and sharing with family and friends. It's definitely doable, and for me, the size and weight compromise are worth it because I finally get that WOW factor in image quality compared to the meh I got from the X100V, despite loving its size and form factor.



May 21, 2024 at 03:47 AM
stgrove
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · GF platform for street and travel?


flashedbyneeko wrote:
When Iím not focused on landscapes or want the highest image quality, I drop the resolution to Medium to keep file sizes smaller. I also have an adapter to quickly transfer files to my iPhone or iPad for editing and sharing with family and friends. It's definitely doable, and for me, the size and weight compromise are worth it because I finally get that WOW factor in image quality compared to the meh I got from the X100V, despite loving its size and form factor.


What adapter are you using as noted above? Thanks.



May 21, 2024 at 08:42 AM
1       2              4       end






FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              4       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.