New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              3       4       end

GF platform for street and travel?

chez
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · GF platform for street and travel?

mranger211 wrote:
You are not at all nuts. I have used the GFX for both travel and street photography. A GFX100s with the 50mm is not too heavy (for me), and does street photography quite nicely. I normally take a X-S20 with the 23/2 along as well for occasions where I don't want to take the GFX.

Why is it you donít want to take the GFX on some occasions?

May 15, 2024 at 10:53 AM
jbush
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · GF platform for street and travel?

I find the versatility of the GFX 100s lies in its 100 megapixels and that cropping can simulate a number of longer focal length lenses while still providing very decent resolution/detail. I travel with my GF 32-64mm and can cover a lot of my needs with the range of this one lens. I have frequently shot with this lens and cropped down to the equivalent FOV of a +200mm lens and have been very happy with the results. For me it is not an inconvenience to carry it around all day.

Sometimes I will pack the GF 45mm and/or my GF 120mm macro in my backpack, along with the 32-64mm, in anticipation of various needs depending on the trip. When I go out for the day, I usually select one lens, often the 32-64mm or 45mm, put it on the camera, and walk out the door without the backpack.

I know that everyone may have a different interpretation of what a travel camera is but, for me, the files and resulting images from the GFX system have spoiled me and I really don't want to use anything else.

Jon

May 15, 2024 at 12:40 PM
Fpessolano
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · GF platform for street and travel?

I do. Depending on the trip it is one body multiple lenses (be it a gfx or a Z body) or two bodies with one lens each in and a third jolly lens.
What exactly depends in the trip.

May 15, 2024 at 12:48 PM
gear-nut
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · GF platform for street and travel?

jbush wrote:
SNIP the files and resulting images from the GFX system have spoiled me and I really don't want to use anything else.

Jon

Exactly this same sentiment that prompted me to make this post ó thank you!

You also make an excellent point regarding croppability ó 64 can easily get to a 128 effective mm on the 100mp sensor and hold more than adequate detail.

May 15, 2024 at 01:07 PM
SGinNorcal
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · GF platform for street and travel?

So what you were looking for was someone to agree with you then?
I suppose these differences highlight the type of photography we all move towards. With all due respect of the excellent photos posted by Jaded Writer, I just don't get why anyone feels the need for those shots of that type of subject matter to be 100mp, hyper detail and color. In fact, I would go so far as to say they might be better to my eye with some grain or a least a little softness to them. But again, these type of choices are great to have.

May 15, 2024 at 02:26 PM
JadedWriter
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · GF platform for street and travel?

Because I wanted to use the camera for fun and I thought they would look great. I just look at these things as image capturing devices and don't get bogged down with they why and tech specs.
SGinNorcal wrote:
I suppose these differences highlight the type of photography we all move towards. With all due respect of the excellent photos posted by Jaded Writer, I just don't get why anyone feels the need for those shots of that type of subject matter to be 100mp, hyper detail and color. In fact, I would go so far as to say they might be better to my eye with some grain or a least a little softness to them. But again, these type of choices are great to have.

May 15, 2024 at 02:34 PM
gear-nut
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · GF platform for street and travel?

SGinNorcal wrote:

No, I was wanting actual user opinions. Yes, weight is a negative of the GF system. But as I mentioned in my very first post, I Love the files. Nothing has changed in my replies to users agreeing or disagreeing with me. It isnít a challenge, itís a discussion. I respect we all have different definitions of what travel is for us individually.

Clearly the simplest answer was try it out for myself. Of course I will. But at the same time am curious about others having similar gear options available to them and why they choose what they do for them.

May 15, 2024 at 02:40 PM
JadedWriter
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · GF platform for street and travel?

GFX AF is slow, but once you get used to it you should be fine with it. I think after a bit you kind of just start shifting your photography habits around it. It's probably a lot better with the LM lenses though. The 55 1.7 is "tolerable," the 20-35 doesn't feel that bad actually. From my experience the biggest offender is the 80 1.7. Can't even get rid of that lens since it's been a great one lens zoom with your feet solution for studio shoots.
gear-nut wrote:
No, I was wanting actual user opinions. Yes, weight is a negative of the GF system. But as I mentioned in my very first post, I Love the files. Nothing has changed in my replies to users agreeing or disagreeing with me. It isnít a challenge, itís a discussion. I respect we all have different definitions of what travel is for us individually.

Clearly the simplest answer was try it out for myself. Of course I will. But at the same time am curious about others having similar gear options available to them and why they choose what they do
...Show more

May 15, 2024 at 02:45 PM
RustyRus
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · GF platform for street and travel?

gear-nut wrote:
Anyone using the GF platform regularly for street and travel? I ask because itís my secondary use (landscape is my primary) and Iíve generally used more discrete systems. Iíve put together a pretty comprehensive 40mp X kit and like the size of the gear, but the files donít wow me the way the GF files do. On par theyíre almost as good as my previous Nikon Fx were, but the GF is an order of magnitude better.

Even my family sees it in the images I share ó ďYou used your big camera for those, right?Ē ďYes, you can tell?Ē
...Show more

Have you thought about splitting the difference and going with a Leica kit?

Keep your kit small, great FF IQ and an experience based around photography.

I love fuji gear but when I want a true photography experience, nothing beats using my rangefinder gear.

May 15, 2024 at 03:48 PM
gear-nut
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · GF platform for street and travel?

JadedWriter wrote:
GFX AF is slow, but once you get used to it you should be fine with it. I think after a bit you kind of just start shifting your photography habits around it. It's probably a lot better with the LM lenses though. The 55 1.7 is "tolerable," the 20-35 doesn't feel that bad actually. From my experience the biggest offender is the 80 1.7. Can't even get rid of that lens since it's been a great one lens zoom with your feet solution for studio shoots.

AF is significantly better with LM lenses, especially compared to the 55. Iíve avoided the gf 80 for that reason thinking Iíd be better off with a Canon or Nikon 85 and Fringer adapter. But I have the 110 and it covers that need pretty well for me except for its size. (I will eventually get the Fringer and 85 because I do like that focal in a faster aperture option. Probably go Nikon so I can add their glorious 58/1.4 too.) Whatever they do with the 20-35, itís plenty fast for my needs when shooting that wide. I suspect itís fast because of less distance the element group needs to move, IDK for sure, but it works fine for me. The 55 not so much. All my other lenses are LM and theyíre adequate for my needs.

May 15, 2024 at 03:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JadedWriter
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · GF platform for street and travel?

I'm a bokeh junky. Feels like my next lens with be LM though, but it's been pretty fine for the stuff I'm using it for.
gear-nut wrote:
AF is significantly better with LM lenses, especially compared to the 55. Iíve avoided the gf 80 for that reason thinking Iíd be better off with a Canon or Nikon 85 and Fringer adapter. But I have the 110 and it covers that need pretty well for me except for its size. (I will eventually get the Fringer and 85 because I do like that focal in a faster aperture option. Probably go Nikon so I can add their glorious 58/1.4 too.) Whatever they do with the 20-35, itís plenty fast for my needs when shooting that wide. I suspect
...Show more

May 15, 2024 at 04:10 PM
gear-nut
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · GF platform for street and travel?

JadedWriter wrote:
I'm a bokeh junky. Feels like my next lens with be LM though, but it's been pretty fine for the stuff I'm using it for.

Haha! I hear you. Why I have the Fringer and Nikon 58 itch

May 15, 2024 at 04:18 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · GF platform for street and travel?

RustyRus wrote:

I love fuji gear but when I want a true photography experience, nothing beats using my rangefinder gear.

I shoot and have shot many different cameras through the last 50 years ranging from 4x5 to small mirrorless p&s from just about every brand out there and theyíve all given me great photography experiencesÖdifferent but still great. For me the gear is not the experience, itís capturing the moment.

May 15, 2024 at 04:58 PM
gear-nut
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · GF platform for street and travel?

RustyRus wrote:

I used to own Leica gear, taught Leica digital workshops and processing. It is great gear. But as I aged, so have my eyes, and rapid manual focus is a skill that suffered. So much so I gave up and went with state of the art DSLRs for my hand-held work.

May 15, 2024 at 05:06 PM
gear-nut
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · GF platform for street and travel?

chez wrote:
SNIP> For me the gear is not the experience, itís capturing the moment.

Yes, another excellent point. I would simply add the qualifier capturing the moment easily. And here is where af, camera ergos and UI come into play for me.

May 15, 2024 at 05:10 PM
JadedWriter
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · GF platform for street and travel?

I should get that adapter, but after my experience adapting F glass to GFX I feel like I'm not going that route again. The focus accuracy just was not consistent to me.
gear-nut wrote:
Haha! I hear you. Why I have the Fringer and Nikon 58 itch

May 15, 2024 at 05:10 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · GF platform for street and travel?

gear-nut wrote:
AF is significantly better with LM lenses, especially compared to the 55. Iíve avoided the gf 80 for that reason thinking Iíd be better off with a Canon or Nikon 85 and Fringer adapter. But I have the 110 and it covers that need pretty well for me except for its size. (I will eventually get the Fringer and 85 because I do like that focal in a faster aperture option. Probably go Nikon so I can add their glorious 58/1.4 too.) Whatever they do with the 20-35, itís plenty fast for my needs when shooting that wide. I suspect
...Show more

Maybe I shoot different subjects. I have both 110mm f2 and 80mm f1.7 and I am using 80mm f1.7 a lot more for my outdoor model shoots. Inside the studio I was mainly 45-100mm but last shoot I did use 110mm f2 after a very long time. LM or no LM makes not much difference in GF glass. Maybe I don't know. Only shooting for 6+ yrs with GFX.

May 15, 2024 at 10:46 PM
gear-nut
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · GF platform for street and travel?

JadedWriter wrote:
I should get that adapter, but after my experience adapting F glass to GFX I feel like I'm not going that route again. The focus accuracy just was not consistent to me.

Interesting that af suffered. Was this using a Fringer adapter or some other? I have heard Fringer works well, but this mostly with Canon glass.

May 16, 2024 at 09:14 AM
JadedWriter
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · GF platform for street and travel?

Fringer. Used that thing on one very important work shoot, came back and looked at an album with like a 2% rate of focus accuracy. I know longer have the Sigma 50-100 1.8. It's gone. I used it here and there for specific things, but anything not hitting just right for me during my work shoots don't stick around. I don't mess with my bread and butter. I basically just use the 90F2 and if that's not long enough I use the 200F2 shoulder buster and be done with it
gear-nut wrote:
Interesting that af suffered. Was this using a Fringer adapter or some other? I have heard Fringer works well, but this mostly with Canon glass.

May 16, 2024 at 09:37 AM
gear-nut
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · GF platform for street and travel?

JadedWriter wrote:
Fringer. Used that thing on one very important work shoot, came back and looked at an album with like a 2% rate of focus accuracy. I know longer have the Sigma 50-100 1.8. It's gone. I used it here and there for specific things, but anything not hitting just right for me during my work shoots don't stick around. I don't mess with my bread and butter. I basically just use the 90F2 and if that's not long enough I use the 200F2 shoulder buster and be done with it

So just to clarify, you were using the Fringer Nikon adapter, but with a Sigma Nikon zoom lens? I wonder if Nikon G primes would work better?

May 16, 2024 at 09:41 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.