New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

GF platform for street and travel?

gear-nut
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · GF platform for street and travel?

Anyone using the GF platform regularly for street and travel? I ask because it’s my secondary use (landscape is my primary) and I’ve generally used more discrete systems. I’ve put together a pretty comprehensive 40mp X kit and like the size of the gear, but the files don’t wow me the way the GF files do. On par they’re almost as good as my previous Nikon Fx were, but the GF is an order of magnitude better.

Even my family sees it in the images I share — “You used your big camera for those, right?” “Yes, you can tell?” “Oh yeah, it’s pretty obvious, they’re so much more detailed than the others.” The amazing thing is while I shoot in raw, what I send out are reasonable size jpegs, same size out of both systems. But they’re right, they definitely look better to me too, I just assumed most non-photographers wouldn’t notice. Of course my family has been looking at my images for years, but still…

Anyway, am I nuts considering going 100% GF? Is the file gain worth the weight penalty?

May 14, 2024 at 07:32 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · GF platform for street and travel?

Only you can decide if the weight and bulk is worth it. For me personally I’d never carry that weight during travels…but each of us have different views of what travel is.

May 14, 2024 at 08:47 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · GF platform for street and travel?

Given that the 50mp files are nearly indistinguishable from Sony 60mp files, and that the most portable GF body is an aging 50mp, I don’t see a way in which you make a kit smaller than what you have already.

You’d be much better off building a small Sony 60mp kit for this purpose.

May 14, 2024 at 09:35 PM
gear-nut
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · GF platform for street and travel?

RoamingScott wrote:
Given that the 50mp files are nearly indistinguishable from Sony 60mp files, and that the most portable GF body is an aging 50mp, I don’t see a way in which you make a kit smaller than what you have already.

You’d be much better off building a small Sony 60mp kit for this purpose.

Appreciate the thought, and I know it borders on heresy here, but I simply cannot stand Sony ergonomics, so that entire system is a non-starter for me. And yes, that was my first mirrorless system, so I have tried it.

To be clear, I would use a 100s currently, or perhaps the 100sii when full details are released.

May 14, 2024 at 09:38 PM
gear-nut
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · GF platform for street and travel?

chez wrote:
Only you can decide if the weight and bulk is worth it. For me personally I’d never carry that weight during travels…but each of us have different views of what travel is.

An excellent point. For me travel is a lot about photography. I understand it’s not that way for a lot of folks.

May 14, 2024 at 09:48 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · GF platform for street and travel?

gear-nut wrote:
An excellent point. For me travel is a lot about photography. I understand it’s not that way for a lot of folks.

Me too, but I don’t get much enjoyment in carrying a heavy load all day long everyday on my travels. Switching from a DSLR based system to a lighter mirrorless system was a huge benefit for me.

May 14, 2024 at 10:16 PM
foto16
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · GF platform for street and travel?

"Street and travel" can be two very different things and have different requirements (which can vary by person). My observation is that there are many successful street photographers practicing the art with diverse tools, ranging from cell phones, P&S cameras, film cameras, to FF and larger format cameras, depending on the specific look you want to get and your shooting habit. IMO, image quality is the least to be concerned with in typical street photography. On the other hand, "travel" is very broad--many people want to take scenic photos with the highest image quality they can get.

So as another response has already mentioned, "Is the file gain worth the weight penalty?" is a question only you can answer. For example, I can imaging some here will disagree that a GFX image and an X image shared at reduced sizes are an "order of magnitude" different. Esp. since you have used systems with different sensor sizes, you know how much the file gain is perceived by you and how much the weight difference is on your shoulder.

So I can only interpret this post's purpose as: it's fun to hear what others think, precisely because we are so different. In this case my vote goes to the smaller X system. I am also very serious about photography while traveling, but I think the image quality from APSC is good enough for serious photography, travel or not. But, if the GFX is not a burden to you while traveling, why not?

May 14, 2024 at 10:59 PM
SGinNorcal
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · GF platform for street and travel?

I couldn't really imagine completely replacing the Gfx with the X. To me, street and travel is pretty much urban hiking and if I'm walking, I like to wear the camera cross body riding just above my belt not in a case. The X-T5 rides nicely there and allows me to do other things, like carry a pack, handle a dog leash, free to use my hands. With my Gfx, I feel like the camera is the mission and I have to take care of it.

May 15, 2024 at 12:06 AM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · GF platform for street and travel?

gear-nut wrote:
Anyone using the GF platform regularly for street and travel? I ask because it’s my secondary use (landscape is my primary) and I’ve generally used more discrete systems. I’ve put together a pretty comprehensive 40mp X kit and like the size of the gear, but the files don’t wow me the way the GF files do. On par they’re almost as good as my previous Nikon Fx were, but the GF is an order of magnitude better.

Even my family sees it in the images I share — “You used your big camera for those, right?” “Yes, you can tell?”
...Show more

Why don’t you go out and try it?

Personally, I would never use a system with lenses that large for street (and here I’m mainly taking into account the size of the front element as seen by your subject). I also wonder why in the world one needs 100mp for street.

May 15, 2024 at 02:31 AM
thrice
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · GF platform for street and travel?

I am by no means a street photographer, but I enjoyed the GFX100s and 55/1.7 in Tokyo earlier this year.
https://adobe.ly/3I0NtHV

May 15, 2024 at 06:16 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

olegkin
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · GF platform for street and travel?

At the moment I have three systems (excluding exotics) - Olympus, X system (xt5, xh2) and GFX.
I almost stopped using Oly in day to day use. It is a specialized tool now for macro, speed, long distance.
I tried X system again, but every time I choose between X and GFX for anything I prefer to use GFX. This includes vacations, day trips, portraits, jumping dancers, etc. But I don't wander far from a car when I travel; my answer might change if I have to haul stuff on my back for a long time.
xh2+18/1.4 is my current EDC camera, when I don't plan to shoot anything in particular. But it will get replaced with something. I wish I was compatible with Sony ergonomics, they have choices. But no

May 15, 2024 at 07:32 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · GF platform for street and travel?

Once the fixed lens GFX camera comes out, problem is immediately solved

May 15, 2024 at 08:23 AM
_Refraction

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · GF platform for street and travel?

gear-nut wrote:

This describes me quite well too - travel is about photography and usually also family. I do my landscapes and general travel shots with the GFX, and action with Canon RF, mixing and matching the kit that I take out day-to-day with the rest staying back in the hotel/serviced apartment/relative's house, depending on where we are. This obviously comes with the downside of a lot of bulk - one backpack full of gear on the plane and either a smaller day pack or shoulder bag in the luggage for shorter trips - but in the context of a family's worth of assorted luggage it's not all that much.

However: if I'm on a business trip without any family members tagging along, I'll only bring a GFX body and one or maybe 2 lenses if I know in advance that I'm likely to have enough shooting time to make it worthwhile. If it's a fast paced trip then I don't bring a camera at all...that is one area where I think a high-end compact like the X100, Q3 or the fixed lens would be great.

May 15, 2024 at 09:17 AM
gear-nut
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · GF platform for street and travel?

olegkin wrote:
At the moment I have three systems (excluding exotics) - Olympus, X system (xt5, xh2) and GFX.
I almost stopped using Oly in day to day use. It is a specialized tool now for macro, speed, long distance.
I tried X system again, but every time I choose between X and GFX for anything I prefer to use GFX. This includes vacations, day trips, portraits, jumping dancers, etc. But I don't wander far from a car when I travel; my answer might change if I have to haul stuff on my back for a long time.
xh2+18/1.4 is my current EDC camera, when
...Show more

It appears you and I are a lot alike. There’s just something about using the gfx that “gels” with me and my vision. It might be as simple as the 3:4 aspect ratio over the 2:3 of Fx and Dx, or possibly it is the size and weight, IDK. The resulting files are clearly superior to anything else I’ve ever used.

The advice above to try it is obvious, and of course I plan to do exactly that before selling off the X system.

I appreciate all the responses so far, thanks!

May 15, 2024 at 09:21 AM
gear-nut
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · GF platform for street and travel?

_Refraction wrote:
This describes me quite well too - travel is about photography and usually also family. I do my landscapes and general travel shots with the GFX, and action with Canon RF, mixing and matching the kit that I take out day-to-day with the rest staying back in the hotel/serviced apartment/relative's house, depending on where we are. This obviously comes with the downside of a lot of bulk - one backpack full of gear on the plane and either a smaller day pack or shoulder bag in the luggage for shorter trips - but in the context of a family's worth
...Show more

Well reasoned reply, thank you — we seem very similar in our thinking and experiences 👍

May 15, 2024 at 09:25 AM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · GF platform for street and travel?

Your friends and family might like the photos, but they don't have to lug around the camera, do they?

I used a big full-frame kit from Canon for travel and street photography for years, that was the size of a GF system. Moved to the Fuji system and cut the size and weight of my kit in half. I've never looked back at any of those full-frame files and said to myself, "gee, the quality of this file is great, I should share it". I share it if I think it's a good photo, not a good file.

I can see using the GFX as a travel camera if you are a professional travel photographer and you can write off the cost of the kit as a business expense, and the main purpose of your traveling is to take photos that will then be seen by tons of people. As a hobbyist, it just seems overkill.

May 15, 2024 at 09:47 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · GF platform for street and travel?

mdude85 wrote:
Your friends and family might like the photos, but they don't have to lug around the camera, do they?

I used a big full-frame kit from Canon for travel and street photography for years, that was the size of a GF system. Moved to the Fuji system and cut the size and weight of my kit in half. I've never looked back at any of those full-frame files and said to myself, "gee, the quality of this file is great, I should share it". I share it if I think it's a good photo, not a good file.

I can
...Show more

Great line, “I share it if I think it’s a good photo, not a good file”.

May 15, 2024 at 10:10 AM
JadedWriter
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · GF platform for street and travel?

What do you define as street photography? It's been my chill camera for a few months so far and minus anything just randomly moving it's been able to handle it:
GF1S7977 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
GF1S7983 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
GF1S8042 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
GF1S7908 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
GF1S7921 1 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
GF1S8017 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
GF1S8054 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr

May 15, 2024 at 10:11 AM
mranger211
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · GF platform for street and travel?

You are not at all nuts. I have used the GFX for both travel and street photography. A GFX100s with the 50mm is not too heavy (for me), and does street photography quite nicely. I normally take a X-S20 with the 23/2 along as well for occasions where I don't want to take the GFX.

May 15, 2024 at 10:13 AM
SGinNorcal
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · GF platform for street and travel?

I can't imagine my wife waiting patiently while I switched lense for the reach I need for a particular photo while on vacation. I try to annoy the family the least amount while they are with me. Sure they love that I share the photos but nobody wants to wait around for them to happen.

May 15, 2024 at 10:51 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.