Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Initial reactions of users to having the Sony 24-50 G f2.8 in hand?

chiron
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Initial reactions of users to having the Sony 24-50 G f2.8 in hand?

I got my FE 24-50 G three days ago and I have been using it a lot since then (only three days, though).

I must say that I love the lens! It is small and light, the zoom mechanism is smooth and friendly to the hand, and focus is fast and accurate. It balances very nicely on both my A9 and my A7CR.

But the best and most important thing of all is that the rendering is beautiful! There is a smoothness to the images, both at the focal plane and in the out of focus areas that is gorgeous. The images also seem to have a capaciousness and openness to them. It reminds me a bit of the 24mm GM or even the Loxia 50mm (not in the colors, but in its smoothness and openness). It is a very pleasing lens!

Regarding its limited and often remarked range, it suits me very well because lenses from 24mm to 50mm are almost all that I use, so to have a gorgeous rendering zoom that is small and light and at a fast f2.8 is perfect as far as I am concerned. It may not suit everyone, but it works well for me. I have been using a GFX100 II with a GF32-64mm f4.0 lens, which has in medium format exactly the same FOV range as the 24-50 does in full frame, and I was finding that it seemed to be all I needed or wanted to have on the GFX. It is one of the main and most often used Fuji lenses for their medium format cameras. My experience with the GF 32-64 encouraged me to go for the Sony 24-50 G.

Very happy with this new lens so far. Not cheap, but very much my cup of tea in other ways.

I'd love to hear from other users about their views as this lens moves out into the photographic community.

May 13, 2024 at 08:03 PM
MikeEvangelist
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Initial reactions of users to having the Sony 24-50 G f2.8 in hand?

chiron wrote:
I must say that I love the lens! It is small and light, the zoom mechanism is smooth and friendly to the hand, and focus is fast and accurate. It balances very nicely on both my A9 and my A7CR.

I very much agree!

May 13, 2024 at 08:34 PM
sselhtrim

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Initial reactions of users to having the Sony 24-50 G f2.8 in hand?

chiron wrote:
But the best and most important thing of all is that the rendering is beautiful! There is a smoothness to the images, both at the focal plane and in the out of focus areas that is gorgeous. The images also seem to have a capaciousness and openness to them. It reminds me a bit of the 24mm GM or even the Loxia 50mm (not in the colors, but in its smoothness and openness). It is a very pleasing lens!

From what few samples I have seen, agree. This lens seems to do better than the G prime trio in this area despite being a zoom vs the primes.. Hopefully subsequent releases by sony will follow the style exhibited in the 24-50 zoom. Haven't quite gelled with the sony 50mm 2.5..

May 13, 2024 at 09:44 PM
Charlie N
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Initial reactions of users to having the Sony 24-50 G f2.8 in hand?

the lens does make you want to use 50mm more often and most of the time due to the natural resting state.

May 13, 2024 at 09:59 PM
NJPhotographer
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Initial reactions of users to having the Sony 24-50 G f2.8 in hand?

My first impressions are very positive. The only negative is that I wish the zoom ring were a little wider. It's a small lens, so I suppose the zoom ring had to be narrow in order to fit. I expect that I'll get used to it.

May 13, 2024 at 11:04 PM
MikeEvangelist
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Initial reactions of users to having the Sony 24-50 G f2.8 in hand?

A walk around the State Fair grounds with the Dynamic Duo (the 24-50mm and 16-25mm).

ILCE-7CR    FE 24-50mm F2.8 G lens    35mm    f/2.8    1/500s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

ILCE-7CR    FE 16-25mm F2.8 G lens    16mm    f/2.8    1/2500s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

ILCE-7CR    FE 24-50mm F2.8 G lens    42mm    f/2.8    1/640s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

ILCE-7CR    FE 24-50mm F2.8 G lens    39mm    f/5.6    1/320s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

ILCE-7CR    FE 16-25mm F2.8 G lens    25mm    f/6.3    1/320s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

ILCE-7CR    FE 16-25mm F2.8 G lens    16mm    f/8.0    1/250s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

ILCE-7CR    FE 24-50mm F2.8 G lens    24mm    f/9.0    1/50s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

May 17, 2024 at 03:44 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Initial reactions of users to having the Sony 24-50 G f2.8 in hand?

Iím trying to catch up and shoot the dang thing. Iím in LA right now. Weather sucks

May 17, 2024 at 04:31 PM
chiron
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Initial reactions of users to having the Sony 24-50 G f2.8 in hand?

GMPhotography wrote:
Iím trying to catch up and shoot the dang thing. Iím in LA right now. Weather sucks

how about some pics out the window?

May 17, 2024 at 07:51 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Initial reactions of users to having the Sony 24-50 G f2.8 in hand?

Okay out the window.

IM 27 floors up but look no distortion. IM at 24mm F2.8 ISO 100 and I am pressed against the window

ILCE-7CR    FE 24-50mm F2.8 G lens    25mm    f/2.8    1/60s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

May 18, 2024 at 10:54 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Initial reactions of users to having the Sony 24-50 G f2.8 in hand?

100 percent crop

May 18, 2024 at 10:57 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Initial reactions of users to having the Sony 24-50 G f2.8 in hand?

Not bad shooting out a window.

May 18, 2024 at 10:58 AM
rob_ww
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Initial reactions of users to having the Sony 24-50 G f2.8 in hand?

I'm about to pull the trigger on this lens so would love to see some more reactions if there have been more over the last few days. Some reviews say it is not as sharp as the 24-70GMII then others report >5,000 lppm which is astonishing for a zoom. Not that sharpness is my only criterion. As Chiron says, it is the overall rendering that really matters!

May 19, 2024 at 02:37 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Initial reactions of users to having the Sony 24-50 G f2.8 in hand?

rob_ww wrote:
I'm about to pull the trigger on this lens so would love to see some more reactions if there have been more over the last few days. Some reviews say it is not as sharp as the 24-70GMII then others report >5,000 lppm which is astonishing for a zoom. Not that sharpness is my only criterion. As Chiron says, it is the overall rendering that really matters!

Mine seems sharp but there is always a chance of copy variation

May 19, 2024 at 09:03 PM
grahamgibson
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Initial reactions of users to having the Sony 24-50 G f2.8 in hand?

I like the focal range and size of this lens. Very useful and when we have these huge MP cameras, trading off some range on the long end seems to me to be a better compromise instead of giving up 24mm to go to 28mm. Looking forward to seeing more images from users.

May 21, 2024 at 01:50 AM
rob_ww
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Initial reactions of users to having the Sony 24-50 G f2.8 in hand?

Getting 24mm is definitely better with modern sensors

May 21, 2024 at 02:41 PM
foto16
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Initial reactions of users to having the Sony 24-50 G f2.8 in hand?

grahamgibson wrote:
I like the focal range and size of this lens. Very useful and when we have these huge MP cameras, trading off some range on the long end seems to me to be a better compromise instead of giving up 24mm to go to 28mm. Looking forward to seeing more images from users.

I tend to think there is no "one size fits all" better lens solution. What if you never shoot below 28mm and use 70mm f2.8 for portrait. It depends on your genre and subject. The problem with cropping is that when you crop, you increase the DOF (compared to a lens with the native focal length at that aperture), but oftentimes the user use a medium telephoto lens to blur the background.

May 21, 2024 at 02:55 PM
rob_ww
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Initial reactions of users to having the Sony 24-50 G f2.8 in hand?

As we all know, all the lens designs we see are trade-offs ... size, weight, aperture, focal length, etc. Different folk want different trade-offs according to their needs.

This particular group of trade-offs really appeals to me. For 40 years I have been using 24,28,35 and 50 and have owned numerous prime lenses in this range. I remember when Leica introduced the original tri-Elmar (28/35/50, with max apertue f4) it was so popular they could not make them fast enough. I was waiting for a year or more. But I have seen little since then that fits the same design parameters, until Sony introduced this one. The notion that I can carry four lenses in one package about the same size and weight as a single good quality prime, is very attractive to me. I completely understand that might not suit someone who would rather have the longer reach.

I do use 85 and 135, but mostly for specific purposes, such as events and portraits. When I am going out the door for those purposes, one or both of the longer lenses will come along. I am happy to have this lens accompanied by an 85 if needed, rather than carry a 24-85 every time, just in case. And of course, I can crop to 85 or even 100 more easily in an emergency than I can widen 28 to 24mm.

The question is: how well does Sony's new lens perform? Can it match my favourite primes at f2.8, or will I end up carrying one or more duplicates instead?

May 21, 2024 at 03:43 PM
chiron
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Initial reactions of users to having the Sony 24-50 G f2.8 in hand?

rob_ww wrote:
As we all know, all the lens designs we see are trade-offs ... size, weight, aperture, focal length, etc. Different folk want different trade-offs according to their needs.

This particular group of trade-offs really appeals to me. For 40 years I have been using 24,28,35 and 50 and have owned numerous prime lenses in this range. I remember when Leica introduced the original tri-Elmar (28/35/50, with max apertue f4) it was so popular they could not make them fast enough. I was waiting for a year or more. But I have seen little since then that fits the same design parameters,
...Show more

Your situation and preferences are very similar to my own. This lens has the same FOV as the Fuji GF 32-64, whichi is almost all I have been using on my GFX.

I think that you will be very pleased by the 24-50 G's performance. Its rendering seems very appealing and smooth to me and f2.8 is fine for me virtually all the time. Sony claims that they prioritized rendering in their development of the lens. When they say that, they usually do a fine job.

May 21, 2024 at 04:04 PM
rob_ww
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Initial reactions of users to having the Sony 24-50 G f2.8 in hand?

Thanks Chiron. IIRC you also like Batis lens rendering, so that is a helpful assessment.
For me this lens would replace my Batis 40. I love the pictures from that lens, but struggle with 40mm as a focal length ó itís not wide enough to replace 35 and not long enough to replace 50. Or I am just set in my ways! 😄

May 22, 2024 at 04:06 AM
zeitlos
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Initial reactions of users to having the Sony 24-50 G f2.8 in hand?

rob_ww wrote:
Thanks Chiron. IIRC you also like Batis lens rendering, so that is a helpful assessment.
For me this lens would replace my Batis 40. I love the pictures from that lens, but struggle with 40mm as a focal length ó itís not wide enough to replace 35 and not long enough to replace 50. Or I am just set in my ways! 😄

I would not give away the Batis 40. (I did it once ). It's such a special lens. I bought it again now. So maybe "force" yourself to use it again and make use of all it's advantages (close focus, special rendering etc.) I hope you don't part ways.

May 22, 2024 at 04:23 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.