FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Aurora Moonset, Polson/Flathead Lake, Montana

graytrekker
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Aurora Moonset, Polson/Flathead Lake, Montana

I know we are getting lots of Aurora photos after this weekend. Here's my contribution

Aurora during moonset, Polson, Montana by Doug Stevens, on Flickr

There is a glacial morraine behind the city of Polson that overlooks the city and that end of Flathead Lake. I was able to catch this just before the moon set. I was has the Loxia 25 on my Sony A7R III. (one of my favorite lenses)

Cross posted on the Sony/Loxia thread

Cheers

Doug

May 13, 2024 at 07:01 PM
ratherfish
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Aurora Moonset, Polson/Flathead Lake, Montana

Cool shot Doug! Some really long and colorful rays there! I remember Polson from my 2019 trip to Glacier. Hope you are doing well! Steve

May 14, 2024 at 01:22 PM
graytrekker
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Aurora Moonset, Polson/Flathead Lake, Montana

ratherfish wrote:
Cool shot Doug! Some really long and colorful rays there! I remember Polson from my 2019 trip to Glacier. Hope you are doing well! Steve

It was an amazing night, Steve. What surprised me was the lights really weren't to the north, like most displays. It was literally like a firework rocket burst directly overhead that showered down from horizon to horizon on all sides. If I had only had that Voigtlander 15mm may have been able to capture that!

By and large, the rays were somewhat muted and a bit diffuse - not like the dancing curtains of light you see in the Arctic. Another odd thing, all the photos I saw from southern Chile on IG, the sky was just red - no greens or blues. That comes from mainly excited atomic oxygen at high altitudes - above 150 miles up. The greens are also from oxygen at lower altitudes - up to 150 miles. The purple and blues come from molecular nitrogen - above 60 miles and up to 60 miles, respectively.

As a scientist, I thought you might appreciate that information

Doug

May 14, 2024 at 06:30 PM
ratherfish
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Aurora Moonset, Polson/Flathead Lake, Montana

I do appreciate that information Doug! My aurora experience here in WV was clouded (pun intended) by occluded skies Friday and Saturday nights. We had unusually clear skies Sunday night and I took a parting shot at it then. But nothing like what you guys had out west. The wildest shot I've seen on FM was taken of the auroral corona in NW Wyoming with an 11mm lens. https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1857835/

May 15, 2024 at 09:17 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.