New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

We're getting new PC lenses from Venus Optics

freaklikeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · We're getting new PC lenses from Venus Optics

Venus Optics announced two new Laowa PC lenses, a 55/2.8 and 100/2.8, both macro lenses with 1:1 capability, as seen here...

https://sonyaddict.com/2024/05/12/laowa-ffii-t-s-55mm-f2-8-macro-11-laowa-ffii-t-s-100mm-f2-8-macro-11-and-laowa-ffii-15mm-f5-0-cookie/

They're both absolute beasts with the 55 weighing in at 1345g and the 100 at 1215g. It looks like the 100, at least, gets a tripod mount in front of the bellows. It's unclear if the 55 gets the same consideration. As brilliant as their 58 and 90 2:1 macros are, I'm hopeful we'll see the same level of quality or better out of these. They'll be available in GFX and the FF mirrorless formats.

In that article, they also display a tiny 160g 15/5 that will be available for M and the FF mirrorless formats.

Pictured but not discussed is a 12-24/5.6 shift lens. I'm betting this one's specific to APSC cameras, since it looks like their existing 12-24 with a shift bellows added at the end. Since that lens barely covers a FF without significant vignetting, I can't imagine it leaving any room to shift on the large sensor.

May 13, 2024 at 07:53 AM
Choderboy
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · We're getting new PC lenses from Venus Optics

It's not like I have ever found a lens to be Politically Incorrect, but whatever floats your boat.

May 13, 2024 at 08:18 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · We're getting new PC lenses from Venus Optics

Choderboy wrote:
It's not like I have ever found a lens to be Politically Incorrect, but whatever floats your boat.

If you exercise a little control over your perspective, you might see things differently.

May 13, 2024 at 05:53 PM
Justin Stone
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · We're getting new PC lenses from Venus Optics

The 15 might be one to watch.

May 13, 2024 at 09:39 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · We're getting new PC lenses from Venus Optics

Choderboy wrote:

freaklikeme wrote:
If you exercise a little control over your perspective, you might see things differently.

Or, are they CPC lenses, which control the perspective for you?

On a serious note, I'll be curious how they compare to the current Canon TS-E 50 and 90mm lenses, both of which are optically excellent but only do 1:2 macro. Biggest downside of the Canon's IMO is the very short focus throw between infinity and 3m that makes it too easy to overshoot the intended point of focus with a slight nudge of the focusing ring. Here the Laowa 55mm looks to possibly be somewhat better based on the distance markings on the focusing ring.

May 13, 2024 at 11:27 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · We're getting new PC lenses from Venus Optics

rscheffler wrote:
Or, are they CPC lenses, which control the perspective for you?

On a serious note, I'll be curious how they compare to the current Canon TS-E 50 and 90mm lenses, both of which are optically excellent but only do 1:2 macro. Biggest downside of the Canon's IMO is the very short focus throw between infinity and 3m that makes it too easy to overshoot the intended point of focus with a slight nudge of the focusing ring. Here the Laowa 55mm looks to possibly be somewhat better based on the distance markings on the focusing ring.

My thoughts exactly, Ron. Optically, the Canons are a hard act to follow, but a little limited. If they can offer a similar performance at a lower price (but more bulk and weight) they could present a nice value proposition. I really like the position of the tripod mount on the 100. Controlling the movement on the camera side instead of the lens is a much more elegant way to go.

I'm curious to see how much movement GFX users can get out of them. I'm assuming all that bulk is specifically to allow a larger IC for their sensors, but I could be wrong.

May 14, 2024 at 12:41 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · We're getting new PC lenses from Venus Optics

Justin Stone wrote:
The 15 might be one to watch.

Certainly tiny and light. It could be fun.

May 14, 2024 at 12:42 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

addieleman

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · We're getting new PC lenses from Venus Optics

The 5/15mm is stated to have electronic contacts. That would be great!

May 14, 2024 at 04:30 AM
TakenWild
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · We're getting new PC lenses from Venus Optics

I own the Canon 90TSE macro. Which is an outstanding lens, the Canon isnít as good when shifted and also some field curvature. Hopefully the 55mm is an excellent lens even shifted at that weight or it will be a let down.

May 14, 2024 at 07:04 AM
raizans

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · We're getting new PC lenses from Venus Optics

freaklikeme wrote:
Pictured but not discussed is a 12-24/5.6 shift lens. I'm betting this one's specific to APSC cameras, since it looks like their existing 12-24 with a shift bellows added at the end. Since that lens barely covers a FF without significant vignetting, I can't imagine it leaving any room to shift on the large sensor.

Iím extremely interested and excited to learn more about this lens. It could be the travel and walkabout architecture lens of my dreams!

May 14, 2024 at 07:49 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · We're getting new PC lenses from Venus Optics

raizans wrote:
Iím extremely interested and excited to learn more about this lens. It could be the travel and walkabout architecture lens of my dreams!

I'm curious about it myself. I've been using their F-mount 14/4 with a Kipon F-to-E shift adapter as a PC lens on my 6700 for travel (small, light, and easy to handhold when pods aren't allowed) and it's been spectacular.

May 16, 2024 at 11:17 PM
KLaban
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · We're getting new PC lenses from Venus Optics

I'd be interested in that 15mm f/5 in Z mount.

May 18, 2024 at 06:26 AM
josh-himes

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · We're getting new PC lenses from Venus Optics

I've been waiting for the 15mm f5. It's been delayed, was supposed to launch last year. Hopefully that means they are refining the optics for better performance. I believe Bastian has a copy of it for review.

May 18, 2024 at 12:33 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.