Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Crater Lake Aurora 5/10

AstroRob

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Crater Lake Aurora 5/10

Joked with my family at dinner that we should drive up to Crater Lake to watch aurora and they were in! Left Ashland at 830p, arriving at Rim Village around 1040p. Tons of folks already set up up, with the parking lots at about 60% capacity. Mind you, there's still ~10 foot tall snow banks this time of year.

As we walked toward the lodge, our eyes adapted to the dark and the show really started in earnest. My widest lens is a 20-70 f/4. The aurora were so bright that it only took 6 second exposures at ISO 3200. In some cases, I actually had to decrease the saturation and exposure in Lightroom.

But oh, how I wish I had a 14-24 or 12-24! (I just placed a WTB ad for the 14-24 )

Hoping for another great show tonight for everyone who's headed out.

ILCE-7CM2    FE 20-70mm F4 G lens    20mm    f/4.0    6s    3200 ISO    0.0 EV  

ILCE-7CM2    FE 20-70mm F4 G lens    20mm    f/4.0    6s    3200 ISO    0.0 EV  

May 11, 2024 at 09:58 PM
kdacharya
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Crater Lake Aurora 5/10

simply amazing

May 12, 2024 at 01:08 AM
KyleSchroeder
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Crater Lake Aurora 5/10

The reflection of the lake is great, but that pink snow is something else, wow!
It must have been an awesome experience to witness. Thank you for sharing.

May 13, 2024 at 06:05 PM
Jim Dockery
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Crater Lake Aurora 5/10

Cool, good on you and the family for making the drive to such a spectacular place to see it.

May 13, 2024 at 06:43 PM
AstroRob

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Crater Lake Aurora 5/10

KyleSchroeder wrote:
The reflection of the lake is great, but that pink snow is something else, wow!

Good eyes! I considered trying to adjust the white balance for the snow, but ended up leaving it, as I think it reflects (see what I did there?) the brightness of the night sky.

May 13, 2024 at 10:59 PM
Bacalhau
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Crater Lake Aurora 5/10

AstroRob wrote:
Good eyes! I considered trying to adjust the white balance for the snow, but ended up leaving it, as I think it reflects (see what I did there?) the brightness of the night sky.

Nice pov Rob - Crater Lake is always more than the eyes can behold.
IMO , yes you should " white" balance teh snow a bit - trust me, I know that it reflects the light - the typical green and purple dancing types you see up north.
I did not have any snow near Terrabonne, but that purple and green was discernably but not this much - yes, the camera even camera yellow, red and blue hues

Just a suggestion - it's your shot, and it's a great capture. I just think it would gain with a little bit less

May 15, 2024 at 09:34 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

AstroRob

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Crater Lake Aurora 5/10

Bacalhau wrote:
IMO , yes you should " white" balance teh snow a bit - trust me, I know that it reflects the light - the typical green and purple dancing types you see up north.

Thought I'd give your suggestion a try! Two tries actually. I'm not sure, I think I prefer the full pink somehow, but I appreciate the suggestion and love that you pushed me to experiment.

Original, no snow white balance

Slight pink in the snow still

No pink in the snow

May 16, 2024 at 11:23 PM
saaketham
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Crater Lake Aurora 5/10

Gorgeous!!!

May 17, 2024 at 08:46 AM
Bacalhau
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Crater Lake Aurora 5/10

AstroRob wrote:
Thought I'd give your suggestion a try! Two tries actually. I'm not sure, I think I prefer the full pink somehow, but I appreciate the suggestion and love that you pushed me to experiment.

it was just some feedback, because I was up all night that same night - and I am just north of Bend, been to all way north seeing the typical green color in the snow - yes, one cannot white balance it because it's trully green in your eyes, not just thru the camera, and yes, I have been guilty of "overseeing" the colors and seen many examples of overdone like Painted Hills shots.

So, with that all said - it's...better, but I can see that you masked the snow areas - main point is, you like the first one, and it'swhat you feel like you saw, even if it is more than realistic.
Often I stuggle with that too myself, and sometimes I go back and tone down things - but I have other PP shots that I actually increase a tad.

Still is a great shot! Congrats!!

May 17, 2024 at 02:22 PM
DanielJStein
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Crater Lake Aurora 5/10

Very nice, color me jealous thats for sure

May 17, 2024 at 04:49 PM
KyleSchroeder
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Crater Lake Aurora 5/10

I like the "slight" pino version the most.
Thank you for posting the alternate versions!

May 17, 2024 at 06:19 PM
CDalessandro
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Crater Lake Aurora 5/10

I like it both ways...and like Daniel said...color me jealous! Beautiful!

Carol

May 18, 2024 at 03:04 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.