New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Experience with Maven magnetic filters?

madlantern
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Experience with Maven magnetic filters?

Been a bit annoyed with my currently ND filters after my lenses went from just 82mm diameters to a mixture of sizes. Am currently just using traditional circular screw on filters.

Been looking at the Maven magnetic filters. They seem very convenient, especially the new ones with the "Splash Guard" (i.e. their generic protection / UV filters) built into the step up rings. So basically I keep that combo step-up ring & "splash guard" all-in-one unit permanently attached to my lens, and then stick magnetic filters on top of that.

But I haven't seen too many unbiased reviews of the system. Many are just sponsored videos. How are they? Are they color-neutral / sharp? How do they compare to Breakthrough's X4 filters (the ones I'm using currently). How's the new "linear" polarizer? Do they have problems with the current mirrorless sensors (X2D)?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

May 11, 2024 at 03:13 PM
Mirob

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Experience with Maven magnetic filters?

Iíve been using Maven 3 and 6 stop ND dark CPLs and a linear polarizer for a few weeks. So far I have been impressed. First of all, after trying magnetic filters, I canít imagine going back to screw-on or square filter holders. The convenience factor and reduced bulk is a game changer. If there is a colour cast it must be minor as I donít notice it.
I think I read somewhere, that the dark CPLs are modified slightly compared to the NDs to compensate for colour casts caused by the CPL, which is difficult to design without a colour cast. I donít notice a difference between the LP and the dark CPLs. I even tried stacking all 3 filters and didnít see a problem. The LP works great on an SL2, no problem.
I didnít go for the all in one splash guard, preferring to remove a protection filter before adding another filter. Being magnetic, there isnít an issue taking them on and off, and why shoot through another layer of glass unnecessarily.
The only issue I have is that magnets in the front cap are stronger than the ones in the filter, so the filter often comes off with the cap if both are attached to the lens when trying to take the cap off.

Jun 10, 2024 at 09:35 PM
saxguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Experience with Maven magnetic filters?

I just bought a full set in both 67mm and 82mm sizes. If you're shooting mirrorless, get their Linear Polarizer, not the CPL. I have the LPL, 3 Stop ND, show glow in a couple of differfent strengths, splash (I don't usually use a filter to protect my lenses, but wanted one for when I'm shooting in unfavorable conditions) and their new lens caps. I was previously using Breakthrough for everything. I find the Mavens as good in terms of sharpness and, so, far, I think the Mavens may be more color neutral.

Edited on Jun 11, 2024 at 07:18 AM · View previous versions

Jun 11, 2024 at 07:17 AM
saxguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Experience with Maven magnetic filters?

Mirob wrote:
The only issue I have is that magnets in the front cap are stronger than the ones in the filter, so the filter often comes off with the cap if both are attached to the lens when trying to take the cap off.

Do you have the old black lens caps or the new colored ones? I have both and find the colored ones are much better in this regard.

Jun 11, 2024 at 07:18 AM
Mirob

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Experience with Maven magnetic filters?

saxguy wrote:
Do you have the old black lens caps or the new colored ones? I have both and find the colored ones are much better in this regard.

Iím using the new caps. I also got the 67mm size filters and will get additional 82 or 77mm filters once Iím more settled with my lens choices.

Jun 11, 2024 at 09:35 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.