Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Film Is Not Dead Forum | Join Upload & Sell

       2       end
  

Where do you purchase your film?

  
 
richyirich
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Where do you purchase your film?


Where do you purchase your film?

Specifically, I'm looking for Ilford HP5 Plus in 35mm format.

So far, the lowest price I've seen is Adorama. They have a 3-pack with free shipping for $24.99 ($8.33 per roll). Including sales tax, it'll be approximately $27.50.



May 11, 2024 at 01:23 PM
madNbad
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Where do you purchase your film?


Midwest Photo Exchange has HP5+ for $7.79 a roll and free shipping on orders over $99.00. Just make sure you have room in the freezer.


May 11, 2024 at 02:28 PM
geekcop
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Where do you purchase your film?


You can try dirt cheap film in Pennsylvania. I buy film from them. 36exp. rolls are $7.49 currently.
https://www.dirtcheapfilm.com/shoppingcart/p/ilford-hp5-plus-36-exp-oem-box




May 11, 2024 at 03:09 PM
madNbad
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Where do you purchase your film?




geekcop wrote:
You can try dirt cheap film in Pennsylvania. I buy film from them. 36exp. rolls are $7.49 currently.
https://www.dirtcheapfilm.com/shoppingcart/p/ilford-hp5-plus-36-exp-oem-box



Do they add sales tax?



May 11, 2024 at 03:10 PM
theHUN
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Where do you purchase your film?


My gotos are freestylephoto and filmsupply, but I'll happily buy from richardphotolab, robertscamera, B&H, and bluemooncamera if the first two don't have something in stock.


May 11, 2024 at 04:09 PM
jcolwell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Where do you purchase your film?


I generally buy film from B&H, as add-ons to other orders, which are usually for lighting and/or support.


May 12, 2024 at 05:29 AM
richyirich
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Where do you purchase your film?


madNbad wrote:
Do they add sales tax?


I entered my payment and shipping information, but didn't place an order to see what the grand total is. If I were to order 3 rolls of HP5, it'll come out to be $27.22 with shipping of $4.75 (they call it First Class / Budget Shipping). It looks like they're not adding sales tax.

Comparing it to Adorama's price of $27.46, it's a difference of $0.24. Adorama's 2-day shipping is included in the grand total, so I guess it's a matter of if you want/need the rolls to arrive at your door a bit faster for a quarter.

By the way, Dirt Cheap Film's price on Kentmere Pan 400 is the lowest I've seen at $5 per roll.



May 12, 2024 at 09:56 AM
geekcop
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Where do you purchase your film?


madNbad wrote:
Do they add sales tax?


Yes, at least in PA they do which is where I live. Shipping is under $10 if I remember right.



May 12, 2024 at 10:54 AM
geekcop
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Where do you purchase your film?


I have a set of tabs that I load that is just film stores. I click the tab group and then load the same film order into each vendor's page go all the way to checkout and see which one is cheapest. Works well for seeing the impact of shipping and tax is on the order.


May 12, 2024 at 10:57 AM
coralnut
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Where do you purchase your film?


The biggest downside I've had with that approach is that some stores won't publish their film shipping charges on their web site and they expect you to create an account with them just to get the total cost information (tax and shipping). I just don't feel like it's necessary for me to create accounts and memorize passwords for all of these sites as that just complicates my life. I'm trying to simplify my online life and those kinds of stores aren't helping me so they get passed on.


May 12, 2024 at 11:49 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

madNbad
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Where do you purchase your film?


geekcop wrote:
Yes, at least in PA they do which is where I live. Shipping is under $10 if I remember right.


Oregon doesn't have a sales tax so when I order from a state that has one, it's waived.



May 12, 2024 at 02:16 PM
jmochephoto
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Where do you purchase your film?


Since I live in Los Angeles, I use Freestyle for film and chemistry. While I do use B&H for large purchases, I try to support local brick-and-mortar businesses. I've been a Freestyle customer since the 1970s when their store was probably 5-10 times its current size.


May 15, 2024 at 02:51 AM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Where do you purchase your film?


I have found it pays to shop around. Pretty much all the time I can find film cheaper at smaller shops than at B&H, but for some reason people like to pay more and buy from B&H.
And it is easy to shop around - just enter the film you are looking for into google, select shopping, filter by price...

Looking right now - Portra 400 5 pack $70 at mpex, $76 at B&H

BUT - if you are into the new Harman Ilford Phoenix Color film, B&H has it on sale for $10.99! Normally it is $14.



May 15, 2024 at 10:53 AM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Where do you purchase your film?


jmochephoto wrote:
Since I live in Los Angeles, I use Freestyle for film and chemistry. While I do use B&H for large purchases, I try to support local brick-and-mortar businesses. I've been a Freestyle customer since the 1970s when their store was probably 5-10 times its current size.


The thing that really bugs me about Freestyle is they are closed on the weekends! I like the idea of swinging by, grabbing stuff, then heading to Griffith Park Observatory, or Hollywood, or Los Feliz etc.



May 15, 2024 at 10:55 AM
OffTrail
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Where do you purchase your film?


I just buy all of mine at my local lab.

If I were buying online, then MPEX's pricing seems pretty good. And it seems like half the time I check on their prices, they've also got free shipping.



May 15, 2024 at 12:30 PM
oscartb
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Where do you purchase your film?


Desmolicious wrote:
The thing that really bugs me about Freestyle is they are closed on the weekends! I like the idea of swinging by, grabbing stuff, then heading to Griffith Park Observatory, or Hollywood, or Los Feliz etc.


Preach! Their hours mean I only make it over to them on work holidays. If they would only open on Saturdays around lunch time, I'd be spending a lot more money with them. I highly recommend the restaurant Roasted Duck by Pa'Ord around the corner from Freestyle, plus tons of other amazing Thai Town restaurants within walking distance.



May 15, 2024 at 12:55 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Where do you purchase your film?


oscartb wrote:
Preach! Their hours mean I only make it over to them on work holidays. If they would only open on Saturdays around lunch time, I'd be spending a lot more money with them. I highly recommend the restaurant Roasted Duck by Pa'Ord around the corner from Freestyle, plus tons of other amazing Thai Town restaurants within walking distance.


That's exactly it! When there I would hit up restaurants etc. So freakin weird they are not open on a Saturday let alone Sunday. They really have lost sales from me because of that as I don't have time during the week, and if I am going to mail order I might as well find the cheapest place which is not them.



May 15, 2024 at 01:06 PM
ottokbre
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Where do you purchase your film?


The Freestyle store also maintains it's own inventory. Which is both good (they often have stuff that the online store is out of) and bad (sometimes the reverse is true!). But if you know ahead of time you can place an online order for pickup there.


May 15, 2024 at 02:56 PM
ottokbre
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Where do you purchase your film?


Oh, speaking of film dealz, a little birdie told me this odakkay ortrapay 008 is going away soon. Unsuprisingly the maker of the film was upset and sent legal demands to stop it. So scoop it up if you want that film for $5 cheaper because it doesnt have a DX code on the canister.


May 16, 2024 at 02:16 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Where do you purchase your film?


ottokbre wrote:
Oh, speaking of film dealz, a little birdie told me this odakkay ortrapay 008 is going away soon. Unsuprisingly the maker of the film was upset and sent legal demands to stop it. So scoop it up if you want that film for $5 cheaper because it doesnt have a DX code on the canister.


$15 is the cheap price?



May 16, 2024 at 02:33 PM
       2       end






FM Forums | Film Is Not Dead Forum | Join Upload & Sell

       2       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.