Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Returning to The Lost Coast; remembering my last visit...

matthewsaville
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Returning to The Lost Coast; remembering my last visit...

I was pulling up my 2015 hard drive to check the geotags on some old photos from The Lost Coast, and wow, it really took me back! What a stunning place.

Honestly, I am very glad that certain wilderness locations have pretty severe restrictions on visitation numbers. For one thing, many locations are just extremely delicate, and simply can't handle too much foot traffic, period. Other times, it's just such a remote location that part of the whole experience is the isolation, and the solace felt in knowing how insignificant your existence is in the grand scheme. It keeps me "rooted"; pun intended.

I know that "access" is a highly debated topic lately, and I am a little sad to see that so many people (generally not landscape photographers; we tend to know better) are now advocating for unlimited access, effortless means of finding exact locations, and even expecting to have GPS coordinates handed to you on a silver platter from a stranger on the internet. My rule of thumb is this: If a place is delicate or extremely remote, I'm happy to apply for a permit quite a few times and wait a few years before being able to visit a place. And I may not share exact locations up front, but I'm happy to share information about a location with anyone who is willing to put in the minimal effort to actually strike up a conversation with me about it. In a world where humans are rapidly being replaced by AI in so many different ways, it's wild that even a simple conversation might soon be considered as oldschool as "plain" photographs that aren't generative/synthetically enhanced...

Anyways, here are the B&Ws from this trip. Nothing fancy, just simple Lightroom tonal manipulation on a display that I haven't calibrated in a few years lol. I hope they look alright! Feedback/critique is welcome, too.

Giant Redwood Stump

NIKON D750    24.0-120.0 mm f/4.0 lens    24mm    f/14.0    1/80s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Rock Circle

Spring is definitely the time to visit...

Bear paw prints on the beach!

Pristine beaches for miles (25/50 miles, indeed!)

May 10, 2024 at 07:39 PM
Ross Martin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Returning to The Lost Coast; remembering my last visit...

Great set, Matthew. Bear paws on the beach is so cool!

May 10, 2024 at 07:43 PM
junglialoh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Returning to The Lost Coast; remembering my last visit...

Rare collection of phenomenal images - impressive work

May 11, 2024 at 07:17 AM
Jim Dockery
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Returning to The Lost Coast; remembering my last visit...

Wonderful set, hard to choose, but Rock Circle really struck me - the birds top it off. Bear Paw Prints though is so unique and perfectly framed and processed.

May 11, 2024 at 08:59 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

matthewsaville
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Returning to The Lost Coast; remembering my last visit...

Ross Martin wrote:
Great set, Matthew. Bear paws on the beach is so cool!

Indeed it is cool to see! I just returned from the recent trip, and I saw a lot more bear paw prints on the beach, though none of them were as clean and "alone" as the set I photographed in 2015...

It's a truly different experience every time, indeed. Worth going back more than once, I've decided!

---------------------------------------------

junglialoh wrote:
Rare collection of phenomenal images - impressive work

Thank you! I did try to stop at some of these exact spots this past weekend, and most of them are completely different from what they looked like 9 years ago. Rare indeed...

---------------------------------------------

Jim Dockery wrote:
Wonderful set, hard to choose, but Rock Circle really struck me - the birds top it off. Bear Paw Prints though is so unique and perfectly framed and processed.

Thanks! It was one of the images that had to grow on me, because I was so excited about the color star trail image I also made of that rock circle. But, after a few years, I really like this one just as much, if not more...

May 18, 2024 at 11:15 AM
Sean Goebel
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Returning to The Lost Coast; remembering my last visit...

I think a new thread with the recent photos is in order!

One minor suggestion: I had to set my 4K screen to 0.6x zoom in order to view the photos. Maybe resize them to smaller next time?

May 18, 2024 at 01:21 PM
NymixGTX

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Returning to The Lost Coast; remembering my last visit...

Great shots!

May 22, 2024 at 10:52 PM
Krss Tea23

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Returning to The Lost Coast; remembering my last visit...

Great shots! I was there last December for a short vacation. Beautiful place(The drive there is very windy for me but worth it ).

May 31, 2024 at 03:03 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.