New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Worth registering Leica for warranty?

patotts
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Worth registering Leica for warranty?

I recently picked up a Leica Q3 - the store manager pinged me to remind me to register the product with Leica. It comes with 2 years warranty, and registering it the first 90 days gives you an extra year of warranty, so 3 in total.

Is there any reason NOT to register it? Knowing my GAS, I doubt I'll have this camera around in 3 years, but in a year or two, would someone prefer having it "unregistered" so they can register in their name or better having the full 3 years?

I know, slow day when you have time to think about sh-t like this...

May 10, 2024 at 12:33 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Worth registering Leica for warranty?

Pretty sure you'll find that the warranty's two-year period has already started...

Edited on May 11, 2024 at 06:10 AM · View previous versions

May 10, 2024 at 12:46 PM
goodbokeh
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Worth registering Leica for warranty?

The Leica USA warranty is transferable. I've not had a flood of marketing from registering my Leica products.

May 10, 2024 at 03:10 PM
photos_of_chu
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Worth registering Leica for warranty?

I have a Leica 50mm 0.95 Noctilux-M lens manufactured in August 2020.

I am the second owner.

I sent in the lens for some oil bubbles showing up on the glass in July 2022 and got it repaired totally for free because the manufacturer warranty is 2 years from production date if you have no official Leica retailer receipt.

May 10, 2024 at 03:29 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Worth registering Leica for warranty?

The warranty is transferable. Not registering the item does NOT extend the warranty down the line to the next owner if you sell it. Leica bases the warranty on the original date of purchase - and if you cannot provide that - the date of mfg.
So to those selling 'unregistered' items, the new owner does not benefit from that extra year of warranty as it is still based on the original purchase date. So just register it when you buy it new to get that extra year, and that is the total warranty length whether you keep it or sell it.

May 10, 2024 at 03:55 PM
patotts
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Worth registering Leica for warranty?

Desmolicious wrote:
The warranty is transferable. Not registering the item does NOT extend the warranty down the line to the next owner if you sell it. Leica bases the warranty on the original date of purchase - and if you cannot provide that - the date of mfg.
So to those selling 'unregistered' items, the new owner does not benefit from that extra year of warranty as it is still based on the original purchase date. So just register it when you buy it new to get that extra year, and that is the total warranty length whether you keep it or sell
...Show more

Thanks for clarifying.

I bought my first M6 TTL and Summicron 35/2 ASPH in 1998 or '99, I think, and many products since over the years, but I never registered a single item?! Oh well, there is a first for everything :-)

May 10, 2024 at 05:13 PM
coralnut
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Worth registering Leica for warranty?

I don't know how Leica dealer networks function, but I have bought other products recently where the dealer automatically discloses all of the sale information to the manufacturer electronically at the time of sale, so that the manufacturer has your purchase/warranty information irrespective of whether you complete the registration process or not. They do this because close communication between the dealer and manufacturer helps the manufacturer to force the warranty clock to start ticking. All that you're really getting by submitting the registration yourself is the warranty extension.

May 10, 2024 at 07:01 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Worth registering Leica for warranty?

With Leica it behooves you to register it, because then you don't have to worry about digging up the receipt. If you lose the receipt, the warranty starts on the build date which can be very bad! So get it registered.

May 10, 2024 at 07:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gordec
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Worth registering Leica for warranty?

recently bought a Q3 on the boards here. First owner never used it and I have the original receipt. Receipt is 12/2023. I registered it with Leica and Leica says my Q3 has warranty extended. Does that mean it has 3 years from 12/2023? I registered more than 90 days from purchase date.

May 10, 2024 at 07:29 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Worth registering Leica for warranty?

patotts wrote:
I recently picked up a Leica Q3 - the store manager pinged me to remind me to register the product with Leica. It comes with 2 years warranty, and registering it the first 90 days gives you an extra year of warranty, so 3 in total.

Is there any reason NOT to register it? Knowing my GAS, I doubt I'll have this camera around in 3 years, but in a year or two, would someone prefer having it "unregistered" so they can register in their name or better having the full 3 years?

I know, slow day when you have time
...Show more

For sure register it. I can think of no negatives and many benefits including extending the warranty, membership in LHS, and other things. Selling still under warranty adds value.

May 10, 2024 at 07:29 PM
lefteye

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Worth registering Leica for warranty?

If you (original owner) register but then later sell the camera during the warranty period, you can remove your name and the new owner can link their name.

May 11, 2024 at 04:18 AM
stgrove
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Worth registering Leica for warranty?

I always register my Leica products just for the additional 1 year of warranty. Hey, 3 years instead of 2 is a no brainer and one never knows if it might come in handy and also if sold you can de-register.

May 12, 2024 at 05:27 PM
gordec
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Worth registering Leica for warranty?

Anyone knows who to contact to confirm if you are getting the additional year of warranty?

May 13, 2024 at 11:32 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Worth registering Leica for warranty?

gordec wrote:
Anyone knows who to contact to confirm if you are getting the additional year of warranty?

The extended warranty shows up on my Leica Website Product Page after I register it.

May 13, 2024 at 12:41 PM
gordec
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Worth registering Leica for warranty?

1bwana1 wrote:
The extended warranty shows up on my Leica Website Product Page after I register it.

I remember when I bought the Q2 here last year. I registered it using the current date. It showed extended warranty for additional 12 months. I think for the Q3, if I deregistered and re-registered using April or May, it probably will show extended since it would be within 90 days. I guess in the end if you have to send it in for warranty repair, and if you have the original receipt, what would Leica honor. They are usually pretty good, so I assume they will honor 3 years from the original receipt if you have it.

May 13, 2024 at 02:38 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.