Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              7              9              11       12       end

Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

scalanc2
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #1 · p.8 #1 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

tzhang4284 wrote:
Like I said, I think the Fuji X100VI is part camera, part popular fashion accessory these days. That makes it much more invisible than someone carrying another camera. It's a lot closer to an iPhone than a ZF is.

As for the Nikon ZF, I had it and recently decided to return it after two weeks. I really wanted to keep it - there was a lot I liked - the industrial design, AF, and the MF experience. However, I thought the weight, size and ergonomics were pretty bad from my own experiences - it's not a camera designed for one
...Show more
You simply loose the possibility to use the wonderful Nikon Z glasses. Then, if I well understand, to substitute the Zf you need 2/3 different systems. Well doneÖ!

May 21, 2024 at 11:21 AM
tzhang4284
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #2 · p.8 #2 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

scalanc2 wrote:
You simply loose the possibility to use the wonderful Nikon Z glasses. Then, if I well understand, to substitute the Zf you need 2/3 different systems. Well doneÖ!

Actually part of the disappointment for me was the image quality of native Nikon lenses. I tried the 24/120mm f4, Nikon 28mm se, 26mm f2.8 and the Nikon 50mm f1.8. I thought my Leica lenses performed much better on the zf than those lenses. The z lenses are also excessively large for the output they give. Maybe they do better on the z8 but I wasnít impressed. I did like the rendering of the 26mm f2.8 though.

For anyone giving the zf a try, Iíd recommend just sticking with the 28mm and 40mm se primes and maybe go voigtlander primes for image quality. They do look nice on the zf.

As for your comment about the zf being a better do all camera, I think the Sony a7c series does pretty much everything the zf does but in a much smaller package and maybe with better image quality the Sony 24mm g, 40mm g and 50mm g are excellent and all the voigtlander lenses are also available for Sony. It also has ergonomic issues and the evf is a bit meh but the zf is worse due to the weight in my opinion.

Overall Iím still pretty positive on the ZF but I think there are a lot better primary and secondary camera options out there due to some of the issues Iíve outlined. Iím sure you and many others would disagree but there are a wealth of options out there for everyone.

May 21, 2024 at 12:12 PM
thenoilif

p.8 #3 · p.8 #3 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

tzhang4284 wrote:
Like I said, I think the Fuji X100VI is part camera, part popular fashion accessory these days. That makes it much more invisible than someone carrying another camera. It's a lot closer to an iPhone than a ZF is.

As for the Nikon ZF, I had it and recently decided to return it after two weeks. I really wanted to keep it - there was a lot I liked - the industrial design, AF, and the MF experience. However, I thought the weight, size and ergonomics were pretty bad from my own experiences - it's not a camera designed for one
...Show more

Youíre not making much sense. You say the X100VI is more discreet because itís seen as a fashion accessory but then donít include the Zf in that same category. Nikon obviously released this camera to jump aboard the vintage camera trend. I imagine most people wouldnít notice the difference between it and a vintage film body which are also a fashion trend.

May 21, 2024 at 12:22 PM
scalanc2
• • •
p.8 #4 · p.8 #4 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

tzhang4284 wrote:
Actually part of the disappointment for me was the image quality of native Nikon lenses. I tried the 24/120mm f4, Nikon 28mm se, 26mm f2.8 and the Nikon 50mm f1.8. I thought my Leica lenses performed much better on the zf than those lenses. The z lenses are also excessively large for the output they give. Maybe they do better on the z8 but I wasnít impressed. I did like the rendering of the 26mm f2.8 though.

For anyone giving the zf a try, Iíd recommend just sticking with the 28mm and 40mm se primes and maybe go voigtlander primes
...Show more
I will be happy to see some sample comparison shots.
But I'm quite sure you cannot provide any.
Right?

May 21, 2024 at 01:19 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.8 #5 · p.8 #5 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

i have no issues with my 24-120/4S under a lot of different conditions.

some fun stuff

NIKON Z 9    NIKKOR Z 24-120mm f/4 S lens    32mm    1/80s    25600 ISO  

NIKON Z 9    NIKKOR Z 24-120mm f/4 S lens    24mm    1/100s    1400 ISO  

NIKON Z 9    NIKKOR Z 24-120mm f/4 S lens    26mm    1/200s    25600 ISO  

NIKON Z 9    NIKKOR Z 24-120mm f/4 S lens    28mm    1/250s    64 ISO  

NIKON Z 9    NIKKOR Z 24-120mm f/4 S lens    120mm    1/100s    450 ISO  

NIKON Z 9    NIKKOR Z 24-120mm f/4 S lens    89mm    1/400s    64 ISO  

NIKON Z 9    NIKKOR Z 24-120mm f/4 S lens    67mm    1/200s    280 ISO  

May 21, 2024 at 01:30 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.8 #6 · p.8 #6 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

that is an interesting statement. no general pics non family? if you have experience with threads like this you should be ready for the results. now do you know how you sound?

i tried so hard to stay out of it.

well it seems that a whole piece was removed referring to what i said just above.

Edited on May 21, 2024 at 04:11 PM · View previous versions

May 21, 2024 at 02:15 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.8 #7 · p.8 #7 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

You really think you're making a point when you post these same 10 pics in every single thread, don't you

May 21, 2024 at 02:19 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.8 #8 · p.8 #8 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

i'm sorry, they are what they are meant to be. that is they are examples. and they do make the point.

gee, and here i thought you did the "hide me" thing to me . its nice to know you have looked at my fun stuff.

oh, and its only 9 pics this time around.

May 21, 2024 at 02:21 PM
tzhang4284
• • •
p.8 #9 · p.8 #9 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

sjms wrote:
i'm sorry, they are what they are meant to be. that is they are examples. and they do make the point.

gee, and here i thought you did the "hide me" thing to me . its nice to know you have looked at my fun stuff.

oh, and its only 9 pics this time around.

Not sure if this was directed at me but I decided this was a pointless rabbit hole to go down further and itís not going to convince anyone of anything and just better to not waste my time so I deleted my post. Thereís plenty of sample images on the internet too.

May 21, 2024 at 05:46 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.8 #10 · p.8 #10 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

No that wasn't directed to you. yes, you were busy deleting. so being that this is a image based and what you feel is a senseless rabbit hole says lots.

May 21, 2024 at 06:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

tzhang4284
• • •
p.8 #11 · p.8 #11 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

sjms wrote:
No that wasn't directed to you. yes, you were busy deleting. so being that this is a image based and what you feel is a senseless rabbit hole says lots.

I think this was a discussion thread to start with and your image bombing of this thread says nothing. At the resolution you're sharing it at, it could've been taken with pretty much any camera and it wouldn't matter. I hope it provides the validation for yourself that you're looking for though since you seem triggered by anyone who doesn't think your gear is not the best since that seems to be your MO on this forum.

For what it's worth, I used the Nikon ZF to mostly take family photos and not going to share those.The main thing I saw was I found sharpness on eyes and face detail to be poor with the 50mm f1.8 and 24-120mm f4 in both raw and jpeg. I'll look in my files to see if I took any pointless photos of brick walls and trains that I can share here but I think I was so underwhelmed by the native lenses that I didn't bother this time around.

May 21, 2024 at 07:10 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.8 #12 · p.8 #12 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

no, i think that you have the ability to talk around demonstrating the ability to get a shot. its a big world out there and plenty of things to get an interesting image. you are a master at excuses. i show you images with the optics you feel are below you. well bad news is that they perform well. its not that hard. after all even i can do it as work for quite a few years.

the only brick walls i do are on castles. and yes, i do like trains too. certain places have a love for their trains

Edited on May 22, 2024 at 07:44 AM · View previous versions

May 21, 2024 at 07:21 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.8 #13 · p.8 #13 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

It is very hard (unproductive) to try and settle differences of opinions (that is what they are) on lenses by showing low resolution samples, in internet forums, between people with very different photographic styles and goals.

May 21, 2024 at 10:30 PM
coralnut
• • •
p.8 #14 · p.8 #14 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

The only thing that's more more non-productive than posting some of that banter is our taking the time to read it. Luckily the 'Hide Me' feature has spared me from seeing the entire exchange that you're referring to.

May 22, 2024 at 12:04 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.8 #15 · p.8 #15 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

actually, just about any camera you are willing to carry, and you are well familiar with in use will suffice. nothings perfect all of the time. In NYC Hassy 500CM handled well by a young lady last CNY

No Rules!

May 22, 2024 at 10:43 AM
taildraggin
• •
p.8 #16 · p.8 #16 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

1bwana1 wrote:
Yeah it is a bit big and on the heavy side. But I think most prefer the grip because of the shape, and ergonomics, which are both accentuated with the larger Nikon lenses. It is not an M or a Q in regards to those things. It is a great character camera, with very good AF, and some nice MF enhancements. Understandably, that makes it a very attractive item for many.

Some buyers might just get the Zf because it's the smallest $2k Nikon that can AF & MF (@/f/1!) reliably & quickly.

A M11 + 50/.95 Noctilux + janky Visoflex periscope (cuz focus @ .095, reliably) runs nearly $23,000 against the Zf + the superior, "characterful" CV50z/1 for $3,700.

or

for more a more practical street rig (you can compare f/8 or f/11 MTF on forum), the Zf + CV 35 or 50z APO = $2,550 with the M11 + 35 or 50mm Summicron @ $13,000-12,000.

It just might be a poor man's leica?

Time to go out and strike the Zf pose, maybe I'll head up to the flatiron building and wade through the Leicas.

May 22, 2024 at 12:23 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.8 #17 · p.8 #17 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

taildraggin wrote:
It just might be a poor man's leica?

The Zf will never be a Leica any more that a Ford Mustang will be a Porsche 911. No matter what people tell themselves.

May 22, 2024 at 04:30 PM
JustShootMe
• • •
p.8 #18 · p.8 #18 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

1bwana1 wrote:
The Zf will never be a Leica any more that a Ford Mustang will be a Porsche 911. No matter what people tell themselves.

The difference there is the Porsche outperforms the mustang ... Does the Leica outperform any modern camera? I don't think so.

May 22, 2024 at 04:39 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.8 #19 · p.8 #19 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

JustShootMe wrote:
The difference there is the Porsche outperforms the mustang ... Does the Leica outperform any modern camera? I don't think so.

The Mustang will out perform many Porsches off the line. But in the same way that the diving experience of a Porsche is entirely different and highly valued over the Ford, the Leica experience is entirely different, and highly valued over the Zf.

A Ford will never be a Porsche, and the Zf will never be a Leica. In both instances the people who can afford the Porsche and the Leica don't worry so much about the price. The "poor man" (not my words) will try and rationalize that the difference isn't worth the money.

May 22, 2024 at 06:11 PM
JustShootMe
• • •
p.8 #20 · p.8 #20 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

1bwana1 wrote:
The Mustang will out perform many Porsches off the line. But in the same way that the diving experience of a Porsche is entirely different and highly valued over the Ford, the Leica experience is entirely different, and highly valued over the Zf.

A Ford will never be a Porsche, and the Zf will never be a Leica. In both instances the people who can afford the Porsche and the Leica don't worry so much about the price. The "poor man" (not my words) will try and rationalize that the difference isn't worth the money.

True and the Leica Mís will never be considered anything more than a luxury item these days , nobody buys another camera because they really wanted a Leica. They buy other cameras because they far surpass what the Leica can do , and the ease at which they can accomplish those tasks. Iíve owned 3 Mís , just not for me , I think they are fun to use but it wouldnít be my choice for anything but casual family snaps, vacation photos , maybe some street. The Porsche and the Ford do exactly the same thing , the experience is different , but they do the same thing. The Leicas canít do everything the new cameras can do , at least not without the occasional lucky shot.

May 22, 2024 at 06:30 PM
1       2       3              7              9              11       12       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.