Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              4              11       12       end

Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

Jepser
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

Again, buy Voigtländer.

If you talk about a Zf ecosystem, I think you should include the Voigtländer lenses, which are manufactured under a license agreement with Nikon Corporation. I dont think Nikon has any desire to go up against Voigtländer in the M.F. & all metal department.

If you think about a Zf experience, and setting that a part from a Z6 experience, in my view manual focus is at least as important as to have an aperturer ring. I you want one-hand auto-photographing there are a huge amount of body/lens combination that offers that and are designed with that in mind.

In my view Nikon Zf & Zfc (and Leica Ms) are geared towards another approach to the process. You could of course use those cameras as a fashion statement, but then you'd propably get better photos with a cute Fuji or Leica Q

May 14, 2024 at 02:12 AM
tzhang4284
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

Jepser wrote:
Again, buy Voigtländer.

If you talk about a Zf ecosystem, I think you should include the Voigtländer lenses, which are manufactured under a license agreement with Nikon Corporation. I dont think Nikon has any desire to go up against Voigtländer in the M.F. & all metal department.

If you think about a Zf experience, and setting that a part from a Z6 experience, in my view manual focus is at least as important as to have an aperturer ring. I you want one-hand auto-photographing there are a huge amount of body/lens combination that offers that and are designed with that in
...Show more

I already have a Leica M11 and a few Leica M lenses that work well on the Nikon ZF too with the TTArtisan adapter so native Voigtlander lenses doesn't do anything for me. Manual focus lenses have their advantages and disadvantages but they're not a substitute for having a proper native AF lens.

I want to have one or two native AF lenses and the lack of an aperture ring on them makes them uncomfortable to use because the aperture dial is somewhat recessed in on a relatively short body to grip. The Fuji X-T5 has a similar layout and it's also uncomfortable to operate except Fuji gets around this with aperture rings on most of their lenses.

After using the Nikon ZF, I found the pros outweigh the negatives for my needs but there's certainly areas for improvement.

May 14, 2024 at 02:32 AM
scalanc2
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

oguruma wrote:
Honestly, I still prefer the Fuji X-Mount as a travel and street photography system, as well as for a system that offers a more analog-like interface.

1) The lack of aperture rings on any Z-Mount lenses (save for the Voigtlanders) really leaves the Zf's analog-like interface feeling half-baked. The fact that on the Nikon Z-lenses you're not actually moving the elements with the manual focus ring also kind of takes away from the experience as far as manual focusing goes.

2) Film simulations, for travel photography especially, are pretty awesome. When I used the X-Mount for travel, I would typically just
...Show more

Most of these aspects are simply a question of habit.
And...unfortunately...Fuji is APSC.

May 14, 2024 at 03:30 AM
scalanc2
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

tzhang4284 wrote:
I recently purchased a Nikon ZF as a complement to my Leica M kit and overall have enjoyed using it as a hybrid photo / video camera. I do think for stills only, I would probably grab the Leica or Fuji X100VI before this. Much better size, image quality, and comfort.

The biggest painpoints i found with this camera is on size/weight/ergonomics and lens selection. On size and weight, I do wish Nikon used lighter weight materials even if it seemed less premium. On ergonomics, it was very uncomfortable for me until I added a soft shutter release that just moved
...Show more

The Zf is relatively new in the market. Let's wait and see for specific lenses. I the mean time with a 2mm adapter one can fit any Sony lens and almost all the others in the market without limitations.

May 14, 2024 at 03:36 AM
maly149
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

pdesopo wrote:
I can understand that.
I know the solution for some has been adding a third-party grip. Have you tried that?

I tried the ZF as well, and it was too big with an added grip. Granted, I was coming from Leica at the time, but I couldn't get over the bulk.

May 14, 2024 at 08:56 AM
oguruma
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

scalanc2 wrote:
Most of these aspects are simply a question of habit.
And...unfortunately...Fuji is APSC.

I don't know if "habit" is the best way to put it, but ergonomics are certainly a matter of preference.

As far as APSC vs FF, yes certainly the larger sensor has the greater potential for maximum possible image quality, but as something of a mitigating factor, the X-T5 is a 40MP sensor versus the Zf's 24MP, and having a larger aperture on the Fuji lenses may mean there's no real noise "penalty" coming from the Fuji.

May 14, 2024 at 02:20 PM
scalanc2
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

oguruma wrote:
I don't know if "habit" is the best way to put it, but ergonomics are certainly a matter of preference.

As far as APSC vs FF, yes certainly the larger sensor has the greater potential for maximum possible image quality, but as something of a mitigating factor, the X-T5 is a 40MP sensor versus the Zf's 24MP, and having a larger aperture on the Fuji lenses may mean there's no real noise "penalty" coming from the Fuji.

Coming from Fuji X-T5 can only disagree with you, specially regarding noise.

May 14, 2024 at 02:34 PM
tzhang4284
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

scalanc2 wrote:
The Zf is relatively new in the market. Let's wait and see for specific lenses. I the mean time with a 2mm adapter one can fit any Sony lens and almost all the others in the market without limitations.

Do the aperture rings on Sony lenses work with Nikon bodies? I probably won't adapt but am curious if it's implemented in software already. I think adapted lenses are great if you're transitioning and sharing between systems but I wouldn't buy Sony lenses for the purpose of using on a Nikon body.

I did consider going back to Sony again but I thought there was definitely enough differentiation with the ZF that made it worth a try. If I didn't have my leica M kit, I'd say the A7CR or A7C II might be a better option due to lens selection but overall I can live with the current state of the ZF as one of two cameras. The industrial design on the ZF should also get high overall marks even though some of the ergonomic issues need to be worked out.

---------------------------------------------

oguruma wrote:

I had the X-T5 before too and one of the reasons I sold it were that the large aperture lenses no longer balanced well on the body. I think a slightly larger X-T5 build and design would have been a winning combo for Fuji - they could've made it more video capable and it would've felt better with some of the larger lenses. The current X-T5 works well with Fujicron lenses but those don't resolve as well with the 40mp sensor in my opinion.

May 14, 2024 at 04:19 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

tzhang4284 wrote:
I had the X-T5 before too and one of the reasons I sold it were that the large aperture lenses no longer balanced well on the body. I think a slightly larger X-T5 build and design would have been a winning combo for Fuji - they could've made it more video capable and it would've felt better with some of the larger lenses. The current X-T5 works well with Fujicron lenses but those don't resolve as well with the 40mp sensor in my opinion.

The X-H1 was the best body Fuji has come up for dial controls while being super comfortable in the hand with the larger glass.

May 14, 2024 at 04:22 PM
tzhang4284
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

Yeah the X-H1 looks good - I do think today if I went back to Fuji I probably would just go with the X-H2 or X-H2S for ergonomic reasons even though the styling isn't as nice as the X-T5 but I think I'm happy with the Nikon ZF for now.

May 14, 2024 at 04:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

pdesopo

p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

@RoamingScott

By the way, you haven't given any insight about why an X-T5 with 40mp would be a better fit for the points I mentioned.

Specifically, would the X-T5 render better colors, or have a better gamma handling than the X-H2s?

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts.

scalanc2
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

tzhang4284 wrote:
Do the aperture rings on Sony lenses work with Nikon bodies? I probably won't adapt but am curious if it's implemented in software already. I think adapted lenses are great if you're transitioning and sharing between systems but I wouldn't buy Sony lenses for the purpose of using on a Nikon body.

I did consider going back to Sony again but I thought there was definitely enough differentiation with the ZF that made it worth a try. If I didn't have my leica M kit, I'd say the A7CR or A7C II might be a better option due to lens selection
...Show more

Yes, they works perfectly.
I do not like so much adapters, nor Sony lenses.
But I like some Sigma DG-DN fixed focal lenses and while waiting for some news from Nikon I adopted a couple of those.
Also here a perfect match.
For the camera grip let’s call it habit or preference but in my mind this is strictly subjective.
I strongly prefer the “old” approach with normal or small lenses while I can fit an enlarged grip with heavy and big lenses.
Unfortunately the opposite is non possible with Z9 style camera.

RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

pdesopo wrote:
@RoamingScott@

By the way, you haven't given any insight about why an X-T5 with 40mp would be a better fit for the points I mentioned.

Specifically, would the X-T5 render better colors, or have a better gamma handling than the X-H2s?

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts.

I have unapologetically moved on with my life

I already explained why the gen 5 sensor cameras are a better apples to apples comparison in this thread.

May 14, 2024 at 04:43 PM
scalanc2
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

RoamingScott wrote:
I have unapologetically moved on with my life

I already explained why the gen 5 sensor cameras are a better apples to apples comparison in this thread.

There is no apple to apple on comparing APSC to FF, elementary.

May 14, 2024 at 04:47 PM
taildraggin
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

are we on dpreview?

May 14, 2024 at 04:50 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

taildraggin wrote:
are we on dpreview?

Given the recent influx, more than ever, yes.

May 14, 2024 at 04:55 PM
pdesopo

p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

RoamingScott wrote:

Sorry, would you mind telling me which post was that? I might have missed it.
I'm genuinely interested.

May 14, 2024 at 05:31 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

We can see why Nikon had to place a current quasi-suitable size lens on the Zf - the soulless plastic appendage 40/2, the very embodiment of modern optical mediocrity - but even they and the big sellers are trying to downplay the combo in their PR offerings.

To see how this one should look, see fjablo's images here, with two superb Voigtländers on board:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1818308/51#16468111

May 14, 2024 at 05:33 PM
oguruma
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

tzhang4284 wrote:
Yeah the X-H1 looks good - I do think today if I went back to Fuji I probably would just go with the X-H2 or X-H2S for ergonomic reasons even though the styling isn't as nice as the X-T5 but I think I'm happy with the Nikon ZF for now.

The part in bold is all that really matters =). Arguing over whether the Zf is better than the Fuji X-T5 is the pinnacle of "first world problems."

Edited on May 14, 2024 at 06:55 PM · View previous versions

May 14, 2024 at 06:40 PM
tzhang4284
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

Yeah I’m happy with it but I think some of the fanboys and influencers are definitely overselling the Nikon ZF a bit and its flaws particularly on ergonomics are non-trivial. If I were to be an irrational fanboy, it’d probably be on the Leica M11 - it’s a bit of a pain in the ass but something very zen about using that camera + lens for photography. Might end up adding a film Leica at some point but spent way too much money on camera gear so will need to wait or sell some stuff.

May 14, 2024 at 06:44 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.