Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              11              end

Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

coralnut
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.12 #1 · p.12 #1 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

JustShootMe wrote:
... Itís personal choice , but letís not discount the choice of others because of some BS elitism.

BS eletism -- does that include the Z owners who keep telling the D owners that they're doing it all wrong?

May 28, 2024 at 09:14 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.12 #2 · p.12 #2 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

coralnut wrote:
BS eletism -- does that include the Z owners who keep telling the D owners that they're doing it all wrong?

May 28, 2024 at 09:43 PM
JustShootMe
• • •
p.12 #3 · p.12 #3 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

coralnut wrote:

Works both ways for anyone who thinks any camera is anything but a tool , fanboyism, and the other elitist reasons for people to argue about cameras , they are just cameras.

May 28, 2024 at 09:53 PM
chatcher
• •
p.12 #4 · p.12 #4 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

philip_pj wrote:
ÖThese Rube Goldberg workarounds are not something most people would equate with the elegant and now standard design of our mirrorless cameras, which are really best called 'EVF cameras', such is their functional integration around these sophisticated new age innovations. So I don't beleive we can say Leica have an EVF in a meaningful and functional way, just this fudge.

Iím pretty sure Rube Goldberg got his start working at Leitz. Odd add-ons and contraptions have been a tradition since the beginning to make the little Leica capable of doing every imaginable photographic task. The Visoflex 2 is positively elegant compared to the old mechanical Visoflexes. But they did what they were designed to do, as I expect the new one does.

May 28, 2024 at 10:44 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.12 #5 · p.12 #5 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

JustShootMe wrote:
The difference is not only does the ZF have great manual focus tools , it also has autofocus . I use it with a 800mm lens daily , then slap on a Voigtlander 50 1.5 and go shoot a band with manual focus , or slap on an adapter and use the same manual focus lens with full AF subject detection etc. You canít do that on an M, you just canít . Yes the Nikon doesnít have a rangefinder , but the potential to shoot different scenarios is much greater. Itís personal choice , but letís not discount the
...Show more

I don't recall anyone in this thread putting the Zf down in comparison to the Leica M. They are entirely different styles of cameras that will appeal to different styles of users.

Most of the Leica M shooters that I know also have advanced digital cameras with incredible AF and many MF assists built in, so they are very familiar with what cameras like the Zf have to offer. Yes, the Zf has a new focus confirmation feature which we have all acknowledged is very nice to have. Personally, I have an A1 for that type of role, and shoot it when appropriate. I just enjoy the Leica M more for most types of shooting. You are correct, it is all nothing but personal preferences. I don't see any "B.S. elitism" in that.

Which post in this thread has B.S. elitism in it?

May 28, 2024 at 10:48 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.12 #6 · p.12 #6 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

philip_pj wrote:
These Rube Goldberg workarounds are not something most people would equate with the elegant and now standard design of our mirrorless cameras, which are really best called 'EVF cameras', such is their functional integration around these sophisticated new age innovations. So I don't beleive we can say Leica have an EVF in a meaningful and functional way, just this fudge.

Leica introduced it's first digital mirrorless camera with EVF all the way back in 2002/2003 I think that was well before Sony, Nikon, Canon introduced theirs. leica does know EVF cameras, they are not "new age" to Leica. Oh, it also had sensor guard functionality where the shutter closed to protect the sensor way back then. Even the earliest digital M cameras had that. All Leica digital cameras except the M line have fixed EVFs.

May 28, 2024 at 11:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jepser
• •
p.12 #7 · p.12 #7 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

Not in response to anyone particularly....

It's allways nice to think that you are smart, that your choices more rational than others and that your preferences are based on rationality. And thats nice and human. The downside is if you feel that you have to question (or bash) other peoples choices to get self-confirmation.

(Of course there gone be huge amounts of ZFs on the second-hand market. That happens with every hyped top-seller. You can almost allways find a period and a market-place that you can use as proof of camera X problems.)

I interpret the Leica experience as refering to diferent practices, handling/tactile, IQ and preferences towards image creating. The old experession "poor mands Leica" can mean anything between those. With the Nikon Zf with Voigtlšnder lenses I for my part feel that I get close to IQ part of the Leica experience (out of the camera), with my analog Leicas I get the tactile experience of superior mechanics and with the approach to photography that comes with a viewfinder,

If I could afford I would certainly contemplate getting a M10/11 but for now Im happy. Also in my life in the analog era I choosed my Nikon FM2Ns over Leica M3 twice when I cut down on cameras for other priorities

May 29, 2024 at 02:38 AM
taildraggin
• •
p.12 #8 · p.12 #8 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

1bwana1 wrote:
I don't recall anyone in this thread putting the Zf down in comparison to the Leica M. They are entirely different styles of cameras that will appeal to different styles of users.

You are correct, it is all nothing but personal preferences. I don't see any "B.S. elitism" in that.
Which post in this thread has B.S. elitism in it?

Mustang vs Porsche?

May 29, 2024 at 06:57 AM
taildraggin
• •
p.12 #9 · p.12 #9 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

chatcher wrote:
Iím pretty sure Rube Goldberg got his start working at Leitz. Odd add-ons and contraptions have been a tradition since the beginning to make the little Leica capable of doing every imaginable photographic task. The Visoflex 2 is positively elegant compared to the old mechanical Visoflexes. But they did what they were designed to do, as I expect the new one does.

Rube (me) meet Mr Goldberg.

Viso hack - when the rubber eyepiece on your $500 020 turns into greasy cracked goo and falls off, you can call Leica for a replacement. When they tell you a replacement doesn't exist you can go to the hardware store and get some large heat shrink tubing to cover the ugly ring. Use a hairdryer to shrink. THAT is craftsmanship.

May 29, 2024 at 07:12 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.12 #10 · p.12 #10 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

Every day offers me a new way to have secondhand embarrassment for Leica owners.

May 29, 2024 at 07:15 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.12 #11 · p.12 #11 · Nikon Zf, the perfect street photography camera?

taildraggin wrote:

Mustang vs Porsche?

Mustang and Porsche are different cars with different esthetics and performance envelopes. They apeal to different drivers.

Zf and Leica M are different cameras with different esthetics and different performance envelopes. They apeal to different photographers.

I don't see elitism in that. I guess if someone aspires to have the Porsche or the Leica but settles for the Mustang or Zf primarily because price they could construe it as elitism. But I think that says more about them than the products or another poster. I know many people who could easily afford either but choose the Mustang or Zf because it suits them better.

Besides in the scope of things cameras are pretty inexpensive items for elitism to be meaningful.

May 29, 2024 at 07:42 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.