FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1              end

M 75mm or 90mm ?

Andrew CD
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · M 75mm or 90mm ?

ottokbre wrote:
Has anyone here decided to stick with one focal over the other for Leica M digital?

I'm trying to keep my kit 3 lenses or below. So right now I am 28/2.8 Skopar, 50/2.5 Skopar, both of which I love. I also have had a few months with a 90/4 Elmar. It doesn't ever feel sharp enough to deal with smaller maximum aperture (I liked it better on mirrorless which worries me that I just cant focus it as well on an RF. Maybe calibration?).

So I am debating on a 75mm or a faster 90 like a chron. I do
...Show more

If I may say so, I admire the goal of limiting your kit to three lenses!

@flash is quite right to say that you'll hear 28/50/90 and 35/75 -- for good reason, I think. @1bwana1's 'wide kit' (which is a nice way of viewing it) is a good illustration of this. So, given that you have 28 and 50, the obvious choice would be 90.

But it's also worth considering what subjects you might typically be shooting -- and also whether you would normally be carrying two or three lenses (if you prefer to carry only two, then 28/75 might be a better combination). I thought @stgrove put it rather nicely in post #5 on the first page of this thread.

As it happens, I have (because I am less disciplined when it comes to buying lenses) the CV 75/1.5 and the Leica Elmarit-M 90/2.8. It is the 35/75 combination that I have, perhaps rather unoriginally, taken on quite a few trips, when I wanted to limit myself to two lenses. I do think, though, that the Elmarit-M 90/2.8 is a lovely lens (and it can be a real bargain, if you find one in good condition). Perhaps more useful for landscapes than I used to think, too. Here's an example.

Andrew

LEICA M11    Leica Elmarit-M 90mm f/2.8 lens    90mm    f/6.8    1/350s    64 ISO    -2.0 EV  

May 21, 2024 at 03:04 AM
stgrove
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · M 75mm or 90mm ?

I also have the 90/2.8 Elmarit-M and find it just perfect for transport with its slide in lens hood. Still resolves good enough for the M11 as you have shown. After using it I often find the VM APO 90/2.0 just too bitingly sharp for my taste. I guess I am evolving into a nostalgic lens user. My 1956 silver Summicron 50/2.0 is just lovely on the M11 or M11M.

May 21, 2024 at 08:20 AM
1              end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1              end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.