New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

M 75mm or 90mm ?

ottokbre
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · M 75mm or 90mm ?

Has anyone here decided to stick with one focal over the other for Leica M digital?

I'm trying to keep my kit 3 lenses or below. So right now I am 28/2.8 Skopar, 50/2.5 Skopar, both of which I love. I also have had a few months with a 90/4 Elmar. It doesn't ever feel sharp enough to deal with smaller maximum aperture (I liked it better on mirrorless which worries me that I just cant focus it as well on an RF. Maybe calibration?).

So I am debating on a 75mm or a faster 90 like a chron. I do like compression and reach but am wondering if 75 isnt better to pair with a 28 as a walk around and street lens.

Thoughts?

May 08, 2024 at 01:01 PM
ocean2059
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · M 75mm or 90mm ?

Personally, I find myself using the combination of 35/75 most often. For me, the gap between 28 and 75 is a bit too wide so I always stick with 28/50 if I need to take a 28. With your current lenses, I would recommend to go with a Summicron 90 pre-ASPH (beautiful rendering). Of course, rangefinder focusing beyond 50 will also be challenging even with a 75.

Edited on May 08, 2024 at 02:54 PM · View previous versions

May 08, 2024 at 01:31 PM
bjhurley
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · M 75mm or 90mm ?

You might want to consider a viewing magnifier for those longer focal lengths, like the one from Light Lens Lab: https://lightlenslab.co/products/light-lens-lab-1-4x-viewfinder-magnifier

It's one more thing to carry around, and they don't include any sort of pouch or case for it, which is too bad. But it really helps me nail focus on my 90mm lenses; I have two of those (90/4 Elmar LTM and the 90/2.8 Elmarit, the older longer version). I agree about the 90mm Summicron pre-ASPH; see Bastian's review and examples here: https://phillipreeve.net/blog/review-leica-90mm-2-0-summicron-m/

May 08, 2024 at 02:12 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · M 75mm or 90mm ?

My M lens spacing preference is 21, 28, 50, 90.

Don't overlook the Summarit options. IMO the 90/2.5 was a good balance of size and speed. I briefly had some time with the 75/2.5 and thought it was technically slightly better (sharper) than the 90, but didn't like its closeness to 50mm.

May 08, 2024 at 08:41 PM
stgrove
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · M 75mm or 90mm ?

For me if nearly on top of a person and scene I use the 35. If across the street (as in NYC streets) I use the 50. When I need reach I use the 90 across an avenue (again as in NYC) where a 75 is just not quite enough. My 2 cents. Of course that's just me as your vision and framing may differ.

On occasion I use a 24 for wider context which gives me plenty of adjustment and cropping room later if and when wanted or needed.

May 09, 2024 at 07:21 AM
slungu
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · M 75mm or 90mm ?

Ok, I'm not on a M body, but my moste used lenses are a ZM 25 and a ZM 85 (on A7II with live view) for general shots and city travel.If it gets darker, I still rely on a ZM 50 and a 90 Cron. Fo my taste the 75 would be too close to the 50, but that's a very personal choice.

May 09, 2024 at 08:59 AM
ottokbre
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · M 75mm or 90mm ?

rscheffler wrote:

Don't overlook the Summarit options. IMO the 90/2.5 was a good balance of size and speed.

Thats always been my focal preference too. In other systems I have had 35/75 kits, 24mm too, or some variation of that. With SLRs I've always preferred 20/28/50/105. Even when I had a really face and sharp 24mm I just never gelled with it.

It is amazing the barrel size jump from the Summarit to the cron. I think for a 90mm I would tolerate large if it was an especially good rendering portrait lens. But maybe I just grab a DSLR for that.

May 09, 2024 at 12:36 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · M 75mm or 90mm ?

My early kit was 25,50,90.

Later I added 135, 16-18-21 and 35 which completed my kit. Gives me options depending on what I want to shoot.

I use the Thinktank mirrorless mover 25i and can easily fit 4 lenses in the bag and the camera with lens is in my hand or around my neck.

I've thought of the 75 many times, but it always comes back to me what would I shoot with that focal given I lean towards 50 and 90.

May 10, 2024 at 01:01 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · M 75mm or 90mm ?

I understand the draw of the 90s old and new on offer. The last Elmarit-M and pre-A Summicron-M 90 are two of my favorite lenses. I just readded the Cron (in R mount) to my kit and it's love all over again.

Still, in my brief adventures with an M7, I found 75 to be a bit easier to work with, since they are, for the most part, shorter and thinner. And there's a broader range available (more so now than ever). The old CV Heliar 75/1.8 is a really fine portrait lens that has a unique signature. Their latest Ultron 75/1.9 is a nicely compact and strong little all-arounder. My favorites were the Summarit-M and APO-Summicron-M, with the Summarit feeling very much like a Mandler-era throwback (nice glow at wide apertures, strong, crisp landscaper stopped down) and the APO-Summicron very much a fussy little modern lens (you need to be mindful of the strong FC wide open at mid-to-close distances but the stopped down performance is stunning). If it were me, that's the focal length that would have my attention.

May 10, 2024 at 01:29 AM
gordec
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · M 75mm or 90mm ?

I only had 90 for my M. I really wanted a 75 APO. RF focusing is really not designed to work well with 90 even though you get a frame line. I prefer not to use Visoflex or liveview. If I had to choose again it would be 35 and 75.

May 10, 2024 at 10:12 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · M 75mm or 90mm ?

I have two 3 lens kits for my M11 which I use depending on anticipated subjects and if I am biasing for wide or long focal length needs.

Wide is: 21mm SEM, 35mm Summilux ASPH FLE II, 75mm VM.

Long is: 28mm VM Ultron II, 50mm Summicron v5, 90mm VM APO.

I spent last week in NY City and took a mix of 21mm SEM, 35mm Lux, 50mm Cron, and 90mm VM APO. As usual I shot the vast majority of my images with the 35mm Lux, but both the 21mm SEM, and 90mm APO got a little use.

May 10, 2024 at 11:10 AM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · M 75mm or 90mm ?

Completely agree. You can drop the 21 if you feel you need it, and some prefer a 35 instead of a 28 as the 28mm is not so good in the OVF. I kept a 35 for use with the 90mm as a 2 lens kit when I wanted to be minimal.

May 10, 2024 at 04:23 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · M 75mm or 90mm ?

I have the CV 75/1.5 and the Leitz 90/2.8 Version I M lenses. Since I have the 75/1.5 I am using the 90 mm lens not much anymore. Actually the 75 mm is so convenient that it became one of my most favorite travel lenses since it also replaced my 50 mm focal length. I am using it in combination with 12, 21, and 35 mm M lenses for longer trips. Sometimes just with 28 mm and the 75 mm lenses.

May 14, 2024 at 11:43 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · M 75mm or 90mm ?

I had the VM 75/1.5 ... focus breathing issues on the rangefinder were a bit of an issue for me. I now have the M75/2.4, and it is paired with choice(s) of 24/35/40. Rangefinder focusing with the 75 is fine when stopped down, but wide open isn't a "sure thing", unless you've got time to really line up the patch well. That said, I can only imagine 90 would be even more so.

So, depending on shooting aperture, I can focus via RF ... or LCD / Visoflex when I need more critical focus.

My recent post on Beale Street was the pairing of 24/2.8 and 75/2.4 for a two lens walkabout (no bag, one lens in pocket).

My longest M lens is 135, but that is really more of a tripod / landscape use rather than handheld, RF focusing for me. Although, I will use it for pano-stitching for infinity focus scenes, where I'm zone focused (vs. RF). The longer the lens, the more you need to be stopped down in order to have good confidence in the RF focusing. Same goes for zone focusing ... zone focusing 75 is doable (being very attentive).

My vote is definitely 75mm for handheld, RF focusing. Imo, if you're gonna carry only one lens, it'll typically be in the 35-50 range. If you're gonna carry two ... 75/90 is the next bump(s) longer and 28/24 is the next bump(s) wider. I don't see a lot of upside to using 90 (90 Cron AA is amazing glass) when it comes to RF focusing (i.e. missing with amazing glass is still a miss), instead of a good 75 (of choice).

May 14, 2024 at 08:38 PM
cypressblend

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · M 75mm or 90mm ?

I have 90 f2 summicron pre-asph. I always find it interesting to use, and to me the sharpness is enough, especially when I mostly use this lens for portraits. Used it on a Z7ii, I think the sharpness is still usable. As for focal length choice, I never (and I assume never in the future) think 75 is a competing focal length. Maybe it's because my purpose is for portraits, I need that compression from 90mm. Otherwise I would use my 50mm.

I think the only 75mm lens I would get in the future is the Leica 75mm apo. Heard a lot of good things about it.

May 16, 2024 at 11:15 PM
stgrove
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · M 75mm or 90mm ?

OP
Take a look at Overgaard's opinions which are specific to him, but he often gives good advice and it often elicits futher thought from the reader.

May 18, 2024 at 03:53 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · M 75mm or 90mm ?

RustyBug wrote:
I had the VM 75/1.5 ... focus breathing issues on the rangefinder were a bit of an issue for me.

Even focus breathing is mentioned for this lens, I have never in practical terms suffered from it. That's maybe because I tend to either refocus at a different aperture chosen between two shots or - more often so - only take one photo using one aperture. What most bothers me with the CV 75/1.5 has nothing to do with optical quality: is the tiny red line instead of a thicker red dot to see where the lens attaches on the M-mount. Okay to see in good daylight but not in dim light! Also the lens cap sits quite flimsy on this lens. I read that newer CV 75/1.5 copies have now a red dot on the lens barrel.

May 20, 2024 at 02:20 PM
bjhurley
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · M 75mm or 90mm ?

retrofocus wrote:
Even focus breathing is mentioned for this lens, I have never in practical terms suffered from it.

Are you talking about focus shift or focus breathing? Focus breathing is where the lens appears to zoom when you change focus, which is mainly a problem for video. Focus shift is where rangefinder focusing becomes inaccurate at certain apertures because the lens is front- or back-focusing.

May 20, 2024 at 02:25 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · M 75mm or 90mm ?

You're getting into kit building. So, you need to consider focal length ratios.

Most people choose lenses that are close to double/half their main lens (that's the most important one). So, a 50mm shooter will try get close to 100mm and a 35mm shooter will try to get close to 70mm. You can have a wider or narrower lens spread but doubling the focal length doubles the subject size at the same shooting distance, so it feels pretty natural. In between you move your feet.

This is why the two main opinions you'll get are 28/50/90 and 35/75.

Your 90 could be slightly out. It may have a bit of gear lash (sloppy tollerances. It's mechanical). First do an infinity test. If that's out then get it calibrated. If it's good, move on. Then try focusing in each direction, to see if there's any differences in accuracy. Then try a focus shift test. Focus at close distance and then stop down without refocusing. Does the focus point move out of DoF?

I actually find my 90 cron a bit easier to focus than my 75 cron. I am pretty sure my 75 is a micron off calibration but I can deal with it as I shoot. But it's not a terribly fun experience. It's OK though as I'm a 28/50/90 guy, mostly.

Gordon

May 20, 2024 at 04:26 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · M 75mm or 90mm ?

retrofocus wrote:
Even focus breathing is mentioned for this lens, I have never in practical terms suffered from it. That's maybe because I tend to either refocus at a different aperture chosen between two shots or - more often so - only take one photo using one aperture. What most bothers me with the CV 75/1.5 has nothing to do with optical quality: is the tiny red line instead of a thicker red dot to see where the lens attaches on the M-mount. Okay to see in good daylight but not in dim light! Also the lens cap sits quite flimsy on
...Show more

My bad ... I meant focus shift (not breathing).

May 20, 2024 at 07:26 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.