Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4              end

A1 Firmware Survey
I'm on 2.01 with no problems
I'm on 2.01 and have had minor issues (e.g. battery drain)
I'm on 2.01 and have had major issues (WiFi/BT failure)
I'm still on 1.3x
I'm just curious

A1 Firmware Survey

j4nu
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · A1 Firmware Survey

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1857144/0#16543483

It's better to double check and leave some room for the unknown (Dunning-Kruger, etc.) than to proclaim one's opinion as divine revelation...

Plus, by now there were at least a couple reports of sporadic weird button behavior on new firmwares...

jhapeman wrote:
That A9III shutter button problem is 100% unrelated to firmware. One person reported it. Sounded like a hardware problem.

May 16, 2024 at 10:07 AM
multibit
• • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · A1 Firmware Survey

jhapeman wrote:
How are you measuring battery drain? I have three A1's I've updated and none of them show any difference in battery life after the upgrade. It seems like there's a smattering of anecdotal claims of battery life changes but no hard data. I'm curious what's going on and I wonder if it's related to some setting somewhere.

On the batteries, are these all genuine Sony batteries--not third party and not fake Sony batteries (which are floating around out there)?

With regards to the other issues have you done a full reset on the camera? I'd suggest saving your settings to a
...Show more

All my batteries are genuine , I have done full initialise and even tried doing all my settings from scratch . I use this camera enough to know when things are different . I always take it out with me whilst out for walks ,a single battery would be enough whilst out . I'm now getting through two batteries since this update, the amount of shots taken does not make any difference . Camera set to go to sleep after one minute , I don't seem to be getting the clunk noise with the 200-600 when it goes to sleep although the EVF stays black if I lift it up to my eye .
Batteries are always removed from the camera when I get home.
As already mentioned above the cameras been reliable since I got it about three and a half years ago , I've been trying my newest batteries no difference . The extra battery drainage is not a huge problem because I have plenty spare , I mainly have a pair in the strap pockets . The issue requiring me to remove the battery is more concerning

May 16, 2024 at 03:13 PM
Laslo Varadi
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · A1 Firmware Survey

I use BT to transfer photos, though not frequently. No problem using it after update to 2.0 and 2.01. Today I connected to my home WIFI and transferred 6 original size photos without problems. Also tried the camera control part of the app and that seems to work as well.

May 17, 2024 at 04:08 PM
jhapeman
• • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · A1 Firmware Survey

j4nu wrote:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1857144/0#16543483

It's better to double check and leave some room for the unknown (Dunning-Kruger, etc.) than to proclaim one's opinion as divine revelation...

Plus, by now there were at least a couple reports of sporadic weird button behavior on new firmwares...

, seriously? Nowhere did claim any divine revelation. And to your point and your claim, the second person who mentioned they had an issue was on the release firmware, so that runs contrary to your claim of the update being related in any way.

We have ONE person here who had a problem. Absolutely zero reason to believe it's firmware connected and the description sounded a lot like a typical hardware problem. Your attempt to extrapolate from that and then resort to an ad hominem attack when someone disagrees with you isn't a good look.

May 17, 2024 at 04:28 PM
Maxxus46
• • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · A1 Firmware Survey

I have used ftp to transfer images over my WiFi network to my Server daily since the 2.01 update with zero issues. Bluetooth also connects quickly and reliably for me. Camera has been rock solid, no problems to report

May 17, 2024 at 05:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

j4nu
• • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · A1 Firmware Survey

What ad hominem?
You said "100%" which obviously is not the case as Sony service indicated it might not be related to the button itself in the post I linked to...
Anyways, there have now been multiple cases of buttons acting weird on A1 and A9III so I believe firmware has something to do with it...

jhapeman wrote:
, seriously? Nowhere did claim any divine revelation. And to your point and your claim, the second person who mentioned they had an issue was on the release firmware, so that runs contrary to your claim of the update being related in any way.

We have ONE person here who had a problem. Absolutely zero reason to believe it's firmware connected and the description sounded a lot like a typical hardware problem. Your attempt to extrapolate from that and then resort to an ad hominem attack when someone disagrees with you isn't a good look.

May 18, 2024 at 09:26 AM
liggy
• • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · A1 Firmware Survey

Well... I'm beginning to question if upgrading to 2.01 was a good idea. The A1 was working fine for a couple of outings but was balky this morning. I'm not a video guy so I didn't *need* the update. It seemed like a good idea to have the A7RV and A1 share menus though.

OEM battery. Fast CF-A card. Plenty of juice in battery.

Upon startup - black EVF/rear screen. Shooting parameters showed up. Unresponsive controls. Powering off didn't work. Had to remove battery to shut down.

Was the first time I mounted the Tamron 28-200 in a very long time so swapped lenses to the 20-70.

Same thing. Careful cleaning of contacts with Deoxit. Still broken.

Removed battery for 20 mins. Working fine now with 20-70 but I'm leery. Will try again with Tamron.

Ugh.

May 20, 2024 at 12:28 PM
Josef K.

p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · A1 Firmware Survey

chiron wrote:
I think the trolls are corrupting the survey results.

I have only seen one poster who said he has had wifi/bluetooth problems and who has identified himself by making a post. But there are now three people who in the survey claim wifi/bluetooth problems after updating, two of whom have not (as far as I have seen) identified themselves in a post. Unless the two who have not posted identify themselves, I would put their claims in the survey down to trolling.

Just to be clear, there's at least two posters in the "ILCE-1 software update Ver. 2.00 !" thread reporting problems with wifi/bluetooth since the update to 2.01.

myself: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1852032/21#16535676

and jplaurel: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1852032/20#16534838

I know I'm not trolling, and jplaurel's claim doesn't raise any suspicions with me.

I voted in the poll on this thread, but I didn't post about it here, because I don't see the point in repeating myself too often.

May 21, 2024 at 03:45 AM
chiron
• • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · A1 Firmware Survey

Josef K. wrote:
Just to be clear, there's at least two posters in the "ILCE-1 software update Ver. 2.00 !" thread reporting problems with wifi/bluetooth since the update to 2.01.

myself: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1852032/21#16535676

and jplaurel: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1852032/20#16534838

I know I'm not trolling, and jplaurel's claim doesn't raise any suspicions with me.

I voted in the poll on this thread, but I didn't post about it here, because I don't see the point in repeating myself too often.

Fair enough. I would agree, as you point out, that your issues are very different from jplaurel's difficulties. The issues you are having seem to be a different phenomenon. Your bluetooth is working fine. Wifi in my experience is prone to a variety of vulnerabilities to malfunction. I see in your response to LBJ2 everything you have tried. I myself had never thought of animal sacrifice. But I certainly see why you answered the poll as you did. Have you had any response from Sony?

That still leaves the mysterious third reporter of bluetooth/wifi problems as a possible troll, pending further information.

May 21, 2024 at 05:44 AM
jhapeman
• • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · A1 Firmware Survey

I have noticed one bug so far with one of my A1's--I've been on four-day bird photography trip. While I can say in my use the battery drain was absolutely no different, there is a weird bug with battery levels when I'm using the grip. It will show the one drained battery but not show the second battery or the amount left it in. I can poke the battery area on the touch screen and after a few taps it will show both batteries--briefly--and then it goes back to showing the one dead battery only. Not cool when you're trying to keep track of remaining battery capacity.

May 21, 2024 at 08:12 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.