Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5       end

A1 Firmware Survey
I'm on 2.01 with no problems
I'm on 2.01 and have had minor issues (e.g. battery drain)
I'm on 2.01 and have had major issues (WiFi/BT failure)
I'm still on 1.3x
I'm just curious

A1 Firmware Survey

chiron
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · A1 Firmware Survey

stuuke wrote:
Well I guess that's one way to respond.

What, you don't believe me?

May 15, 2024 at 10:24 AM
ronno
• • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · A1 Firmware Survey

Canít believe this is still going onÖ Iíve been reluctant to get an A1 in the past week or two because of thisÖ Is it possible to upgrade to the prior firmware? Or just the latest?

Also, did I just read that the A1 still needs a PC to update the firmware?? Is it possible on an M2 Mac?

May 15, 2024 at 11:17 AM
chiron
• • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · A1 Firmware Survey

ronno wrote:
Canít believe this is still going onÖ Iíve been reluctant to get an A1 in the past week or two because of thisÖ Is it possible to upgrade to the prior firmware? Or just the latest?

Also, did I just read that the A1 still needs a PC to update the firmware?? Is it possible on an M2 Mac?

Aren't you a Nikon enthusiast? Why are you switching to Sony?

May 15, 2024 at 11:59 AM
goodbokeh
• • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · A1 Firmware Survey

I just updated my A1 a couple days ago from firmware 1.32 to 2.01 and everything works great.

I like that I now have location information registered in the A1's metadata from my iPhone, without even having to launch the Creators App. That new feature catches the A1 up with my Leica SL-2 and Q2 cameras. Location information is very handy for me.

May 15, 2024 at 12:12 PM
liggy
• • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · A1 Firmware Survey

ronno wrote:

I upgraded using my M2 Max MBP without an issue. From here on out I think there will be multiple ways to update FW.
So far, so good.

May 15, 2024 at 12:40 PM
chiron
• • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · A1 Firmware Survey

I think the trolls are corrupting the survey results.

I have only seen one poster who said he has had wifi/bluetooth problems and who has identified himself by making a post. But there are now three people who in the survey claim wifi/bluetooth problems after updating, two of whom have not (as far as I have seen) identified themselves in a post. Unless the two who have not posted identify themselves, I would put their claims in the survey down to trolling.

May 15, 2024 at 01:09 PM
jhapeman
• • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · A1 Firmware Survey

chiron wrote:

I have only seen one poster who said he has had wifi/bluetooth problems and who has identified himself by making a post. But there are now three people who in the survey claim wifi/bluetooth problems after updating, two of whom have not (as far as I have seen) identified themselves in a post. Unless the two who have not posted identify themselves, I would put their claims in the survey down to trolling.

That's possible. I did a similar poll over on the Sony A1 FB group and the percentages were similar but also it's impossible to know if people are trolling the results or not. The actual number of people who have posted independently about real problems is very, very low here and there so I do believe that there are truly are extremely few cameras that have significant problems.

May 15, 2024 at 01:23 PM
j4nu
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · A1 Firmware Survey

There were 3 cases reported in the other thread:
* Wifi/Bluetooth broken on 2.00
* Wifi/Bluetooth broken on 2.01
* Wifi/Bluetooth working on 2.00 but broken on 2.01, but not the expected error message...

chiron wrote:

May 15, 2024 at 01:27 PM
chiron
• • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · A1 Firmware Survey

j4nu wrote:
There were 3 cases reported in the other thread:
* Wifi/Bluetooth broken on 2.00
* Wifi/Bluetooth broken on 2.01
* Wifi/Bluetooth working on 2.00 but broken on 2.01, but not the expected error message...

Even by that count, there are only two on 2.01. Why do you bother to include the 2.0 claim, if not for trolling effect?

It is extremely unlikely that a software problem would kill bluetooth hardware. There are extremely few claims (two here on FM, even if you are correct) for what should be a widespread problem were it to exist at all.

Apart from the original claim, I sus;pect trolling.

May 15, 2024 at 01:47 PM
j4nu
• • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · A1 Firmware Survey

Hard to discuss anything with you in this tone TBH.
Regardless, I include it because I've not seen a single post here saying that 2.01 fixed one's wifi/bluetooth broken by 2.00... but yes, best to ask that user directly here.
It was already explained to you how a new firmware can introduce issues with wifi/bluetooth chip... It doesn't have to physically break it.
Besides that, there were also some reports here of weird shutter button behavior on the new fw, both on A9III and A1, plus some weird camera lockups shortly after upgrade, which show that such a big fw overhaul can have unforeseen consequences...
chiron wrote:
Even by that count, there are only two on 2.01. Why do you bother to include the 2.0 claim, if not for trolling effect?

It is extremely unlikely that a software problem would kill bluetooth hardware. There are extremely few claims (two here on FM, even if you are correct) for what should be a widespread problem were it to exist at all.

Apart from the original claim, I sus;pect trolling.

May 15, 2024 at 02:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ronno
• • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · A1 Firmware Survey

chiron wrote:
Aren't you a Nikon enthusiast? Why are you switching to Sony?

??
I am not an enthusiast and not ďswitchingĒ to anything.
I use various camera for various jobs.
Iíve had A7r4, A7r3 etc etc in the past.
Had a Z8 for a hot second - but the AF was not up to par so itís now gone. Does that make me an enthusiast? 😂

Most of my gear is Canon - not that itís anyoneís business 😎.

May 15, 2024 at 02:17 PM
chiron
• • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · A1 Firmware Survey

ronno wrote:
??
I am not an enthusiast and not ďswitchingĒ to anything.
I use various camera for various jobs.
Iíve had A7r4, A7r3 etc etc in the past.
Had a Z8 for a hot second - but the AF was not up to par so itís now gone. Does that make me an enthusiast? 😂

Most of my gear is Canon - not that itís anyoneís business 😎.

I'm surprised. 99% of your posting history is about Nikon.

May 15, 2024 at 02:41 PM
ronno
• • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · A1 Firmware Survey

liggy wrote:
I upgraded using my M2 Max MBP without an issue. From here on out I think there will be multiple ways to update FW.
So far, so good.

Thank you! - a useful response (unlike chiron)

I remember with my A7r4 cameras, could not be upgraded with an M1 machine, had to rig up some Windows emulator, etc., etc - it took hours.ÖA nightmare.

Cheers liggy.

May 15, 2024 at 02:44 PM
ronno
• • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · A1 Firmware Survey

chiron wrote:
I'm surprised. 99% of your posting history is about Nikon.

Not true - besides, but what concern is that of yours?
Iím not interested in schoolyard squabbling, go about your business plz.

May 15, 2024 at 03:19 PM
chiron
• • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · A1 Firmware Survey

ronno wrote:
Not true - besides, but what concern is that of yours?
Iím not interested in schoolyard squabbling, go about your business plz.

You're a Nikon poster who joined a Sony thread to make two trollish negative comments that were unrelated to each other except that both werre negative. I'm just calling you on it.

May 15, 2024 at 03:23 PM
MAubrey
• • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · A1 Firmware Survey

chiron wrote:
You're a Nikon poster who joined a Sony thread to make two trollish negative comments that were unrelated to each other except that both werre negative. I'm just calling you on it.

You're not calling anyone out. You're making stuff up. Anyone who looks at his posting can see that.

May 15, 2024 at 04:06 PM
multibit
• • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · A1 Firmware Survey

Iíve been using mine for a while now with f2.01 .
I have not experienced any Wi-Fi/BT issues yet , itís not something I usually use but I have tried it a few times with the creators app on my iPhone . It lost connection couple of times but reconnected ok . Iíve not had the warning message .
I am definitely getting increased battery drainage (aeroplane mode on ) , this happens with the camera set to sleep after 1 minute , 2 minutes etc . Setting it to 10 seconds cures it but itís slow waking up and sorting itself out .
An issue I have experienced a few times , after waking up ,the shutter button half press or BBF does not do anything , I get dancing boxes then nothing . The camera does not focus at all . Iíve also noticed when this happens the EVF goes very dark , it judders then the EVF goes normal but no focus , I take the battery out , re insert then itís ok .
One time whilst out I was shooting at very low shutter speeds because the lighting was poor . The camera displayed battery exhausted with black screen . I had to take battery out and re insert . It was showing 70% . I took more shots same message . I put new battery in 100% , same message came up . I raised the shutter speed it was fine , I lowered the shutter speed it was fine for the rest of the day .
Also something thatís happened 4 times , playback button was unresponsive, I start shooting and try playback button again . Itís fine
Iíd say my camera now has a few bugs , before these latest updates I had no issues , in fact only issue Iíve had was the EVF blackout with bright backlight over 3 years ago .
Lenses fw updated to latest

May 15, 2024 at 04:47 PM
jhapeman
• • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · A1 Firmware Survey

ronno wrote:
Thank you! - a useful response (unlike chiron)

I remember with my A7r4 cameras, could not be upgraded with an M1 machine, had to rig up some Windows emulator, etc., etc - it took hours.ÖA nightmare.

Cheers liggy.

This isn't true. It's been the same since the Apple Silicon machines were released; you could always update any of them on an M1 or any M-based Apple computer. It's been a bit of pain because of terrible software design/programming by Sony, but once you learned how to navigate downgrading the OS security settings it runs fine. It's just is a technical stretch for many people.

Going forward on the new firmware architecture Sony has rolled out that's a moot point as it will now all be upgradeable from the memory card--something they should have implemented years ago.

May 16, 2024 at 09:00 AM
jhapeman
• • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · A1 Firmware Survey

j4nu wrote:
Hard to discuss anything with you in this tone TBH.
Regardless, I include it because I've not seen a single post here saying that 2.01 fixed one's wifi/bluetooth broken by 2.00... but yes, best to ask that user directly here.
It was already explained to you how a new firmware can introduce issues with wifi/bluetooth chip... It doesn't have to physically break it.
Besides that, there were also some reports here of weird shutter button behavior on the new fw, both on A9III and A1, plus some weird camera lockups shortly after upgrade, which show that such a big fw overhaul can have
...Show more

That A9III shutter button problem is 100% unrelated to firmware. One person reported it. Sounded like a hardware problem.

May 16, 2024 at 09:02 AM
jhapeman
• • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · A1 Firmware Survey

multibit wrote:
Iíve been using mine for a while now with f2.01 .
I have not experienced any Wi-Fi/BT issues yet , itís not something I usually use but I have tried it a few times with the creators app on my iPhone . It lost connection couple of times but reconnected ok . Iíve not had the warning message .
I am definitely getting increased battery drainage (aeroplane mode on ) , this happens with the camera set to sleep after 1 minute , 2 minutes etc . Setting it to 10 seconds cures it but itís slow waking up and sorting itself
...Show more

How are you measuring battery drain? I have three A1's I've updated and none of them show any difference in battery life after the upgrade. It seems like there's a smattering of anecdotal claims of battery life changes but no hard data. I'm curious what's going on and I wonder if it's related to some setting somewhere.

On the batteries, are these all genuine Sony batteries--not third party and not fake Sony batteries (which are floating around out there)?

With regards to the other issues have you done a full reset on the camera? I'd suggest saving your settings to a CAMSET file, do a reset, turn off and take the battery out and leave it out for 15 minutes or so, then re-insert and see how things go. It's a common issue with all hardware these days, even on computers after firmware updates you are advised to power down and unplug for a period of time to allow the NVRAM to totally clear.

May 16, 2024 at 09:07 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.