Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              4       5       end

A1 Firmware Survey
I'm on 2.01 with no problems
I'm on 2.01 and have had minor issues (e.g. battery drain)
I'm on 2.01 and have had major issues (WiFi/BT failure)
I'm still on 1.3x
I'm just curious

A1 Firmware Survey

AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · A1 Firmware Survey

jhapeman wrote:
I would suggest that we are jumping to conclusions here. It's still very early in this process. With such a small percentage actually effected, its impossible to say why. Is it a bad batch of communications boards? Is it use of non-Sony batteries? Some other odd quirk? Problems that affect only a small fraction of a user base can be difficult to troubleshoot to a root cause until you have enough data compiled, and it's only after that where you can determine your path forward.

The downside are the folks caught in the situation now, of course. But I wouldn't
...Show more

I came across a post referencing a "bad" batch of communication mother boards off some sort. It was here on FM but I don't remember whose and when. Plus, I don't recall reading the actual source of that quote at that time. Is that actually from a reliable source? Can someone post a link to that reference again, please? Or is that just a speculation?

May 10, 2024 at 08:29 AM
j4nu
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · A1 Firmware Survey

jhapeman wrote:
I would suggest that we are jumping to conclusions here. It's still very early in this process. With such a small percentage actually effected, its impossible to say why. Is it a bad batch of communications boards? Is it use of non-Sony batteries? Some other odd quirk? Problems that affect only a small fraction of a user base can be difficult to troubleshoot to a root cause until you have enough data compiled, and it's only after that where you can determine your path forward.

The downside are the folks caught in the situation now, of course. But I wouldn't
...Show more

Well, not sure if it's still that early as the networking problems started with 2.00. And Sony did acknowledge the issue by pulling 2.00 and then releasing 2.01 (so it's not the matter of batteries)...
I also think we will see a better response from Sony eventually, but for now it's rather bleak.

May 10, 2024 at 08:43 AM
dclark
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · A1 Firmware Survey

AGeoJO wrote:
I came across a post referencing a "bad" batch of communication mother boards off some sort. It was here on FM but I don't remember whose and when. Plus, I don't recall reading the actual source of that quote at that time. Is that actually from a reliable source? Can someone post a link to that reference again, please? Or is that just a speculation?

I think you are referring to this thread starting at page 7/8:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1855553/
Lots of speculation. No real information.

May 10, 2024 at 01:39 PM
Choderboy
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · A1 Firmware Survey

AGeoJO wrote:

There is no source. There is one member speculating.
There is another member, in my opinion, misusing the term evidently.
ie, two members speculating.

jplaurel:
I think the most plausible explanation here is that there is some variation in the wireless modules that Sony has used since the A1 was introduced.

_MacTwin_:
The fact that some machines show connection problems is evidently a problem related to the presence of noncompliant chips.
AND
The A1 went through a worldwide chip shortage, Sony evidently used different suppliers in order to continue production and some of these components do not respond to the new protocol.

May 11, 2024 at 12:26 AM
Viramati
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · A1 Firmware Survey

Without all those on 1.32 upgrading to 2.01 it's hard to know if there is a real issue or not. I would suggest that all those of you who have Sony Pro support to contact them as they maybe able to help in case of a failure due to the update on a camera that has no current issues. I have found them very helpful but won't be updating until I come back from a trip in a month's time

May 11, 2024 at 02:39 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · A1 Firmware Survey

For me v2.01 has been a good photography firmware update. I never thought I would see some of these new features on my 2021 Sony A1 camera. Likewise after extensive menu diving/exploration, I'm relearning menu items I haven't touched since day-one setup as well as finding some other surprises not listed on the firmware notes. Notable features for me so far:

-Software Update, in camera--woot woot for future updates ( at least one more is coming e.g. C2PA license )
-Upload even full size images direct from my A1 camera to the Cloud via 5GHz Wifi or Mobile Hotspot and Share from the Cloud
-Download optional new software (paid) licenses from the Creators Cloud e.g Custom Grids
-Breathing compensation ( for video)
-Basic camera set up via the Creators' App ( to include easier Wifi password entry)
-Ability to quickly check, confirm or change Eye AF mode on my LCD before I peer into the EVF
-New A1, Main menu display w/ touch scroll down through to all the rest of the menus or back up to Main
-New touch feature to change ISO and Exposure
-Left/Right Up or Down swipe actions on the LCD ( not sure if this is new or not)
-Left to Right swipe on the LCD to engage.activate more touch icons aligned on left and right side of the LCD
-More fields to customize on the Playback menu and Playback filters to sort images (in camera)
-Send sorted and selected images to mobile or FTP via the Playback menu
-Relay playback for seamless image scrolling between SD1 and SD2 cards
-Image Stabilization with Body-Lens Coordinated control. Have tested G200-600--but not sure about effectiveness
-Bird Eye AF may be a bit more sticky in strongly backlit or shadowed conditions but not yet certain ( still experimenting)
-Supposedly faster in-camera card formatting
*I'm not noticing any big difference in battery drain from v1.32 to v2.01 and have posted a few battery drain results tests
**BT/Wifi have never stopped working from v2.0 to v2.01
***Cloud upload from the camera needs an in-camera upload filter IMO. Currently all images in the camera that were not previously uploaded will upload and sorting/culling deleting is done solely in the Cloud account.
****Appending BT GPS coordinates via Creator's app to my images has been 100% so far

For those of you also enjoying v2.01, did I miss anything, or did I list anything that was already there before v2.0/v2.01?

P.S. I did buy a brand new Sony battery to go with my v2.01 souped-up A1, but as I posted on the other thread, my old Sony Z batteries manufactured 2017, 2019 and 2021 are still holding up very well in comparison.

P.S.S. I'm still finding things in the menu, if you found other new features/enhancements I didn't list please post.

Next up for me is more menu/features diving, pushing the camera in more sports, events and BIF ( it is the A1 afterall). Oh and I have one of the new CFexpress Type A 4.0 cards on the way--I ended up choosing the currently uniquely VPG400 rated Type-A 4.0 Exascend 1TB so will be testing sustained write on that card compared to Anglebird 1TB Type A 2.0.

May 11, 2024 at 02:54 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · A1 Firmware Survey

I've now shot two mornings with the A1 on 2.01 (I didn't want to risk bringing my loaner A9III into the kayak)

I'm pretty sure that my battery life is back to what it was on 1.32. I will keep shooting it over the next few weeks and report back if my opinion changes but so far it seems better.

I haven't had any Wifi/BT issues on 2.0 or 2.01.

May 11, 2024 at 05:00 PM
liggy
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · A1 Firmware Survey

arbitrage wrote:
I've now shot two mornings with the A1 on 2.01 (I didn't want to risk bringing my loaner A9III into the kayak)

I'm pretty sure that my battery life is back to what it was on 1.32. I will keep shooting it over the next few weeks and report back if my opinion changes but so far it seems better.

I haven't had any Wifi/BT issues on 2.0 or 2.01.

hehe... pretty nice when your A1 is your beater camera.

Good to read more reports of 2.01 working well.

May 11, 2024 at 05:05 PM
jplaurel

p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · A1 Firmware Survey

My posts have been speculation, in the absence of any information from Sony. And it is not speculation from a lay person making uneducated guesses. If you have participated in as many QFE (quick fix engineering) sessions as I have, you'll know that, in the absence of hard information from a statistically significant sample of units in the field, (which is often the case when you're first confronting a problem like this), you try to narrow the investigative focus by determining what is possible, probable, likely, impossible, improbable, or unlikely.

The various polls in the A1 user forums seem in indicate ~5% of owners are experiencing a problem with WiFi/BT on their A1 cameras. We are all surrounded by connected devices in our lives today. Ask yourself how often you see a wireless failure. These kinds of failures are now uncommon even in cheap consumer devices, never mind a $6500 flagship camera from a major electronics company. Sony's claim that the issue is hardware failure is plausible, but it moves to unlikely when the failure mode is coincident with the installation of a firmware update. And if you believe that owners are being truthful in that WiFi/BT were working with Imaging Edge immediately before the firmware update process, it becomes even more unlikely.

Assuming that Wi-Fi and Bluetooth functionality was working properly immediately before firmware update:

— Unlikely: Spontaneous physical hardware damage occurs at the moment of a firmware update.
— Likely: There have been several revisions to the main board during the last 3 years of production, including changes to individual wireless module (different suppliers) or changes to the circuitry related to its implementation on the main board.
— Plausible/Likely: Firmware is receiving exceptions from an out of spec module.
— Plausible/Likely: Firmware is receiving unexpected responses from an unknown (to this firmware revision) module or main board variant.

I would caution against the term "bad batch". I think the more likely case is that we're seeing A1 variants. There may have been variations in either the wireless module, or a main board revision. This wouldn't be entirely unexpected, especially since A1 units were being produced throughout the chip shortages a few years ago. It would not be unusual for a manufacturer like Sony or any other to be forced to switch component suppliers in the midst of a shortage, or to modify a circuit to improve stability, performance or for any number of other reasons. Silent revs of electronic devices is very common. Any of those changes would be considered a variant that could cause unexpected behavior with a new version of firmware, particularly if the variants are not well documented, they are mistakenly assumed to be functionally equivalent, or there has been a simple mistake in how the firmware handles known variants. This would explain why, for example, many users experienced WiFi/BT problems with v2.00, but not with v2.01. And that is also the reason why it remains possible that the the loss of WiFi/BT functionality for some A1 users could be restored by another firmware update.

That's my best shot to explain what we're seeing. If would welcome an alternate hypothesis that is logical and well-reasoned.

Choderboy wrote:
There is no source. There is one member speculating.
There is another member, in my opinion, misusing the term evidently.
ie, two members speculating.

jplaurel:
I think the most plausible explanation here is that there is some variation in the wireless modules that Sony has used since the A1 was introduced.

_MacTwin_:
The fact that some machines show connection problems is evidently a problem related to the presence of noncompliant chips.
AND
The A1 went through a worldwide chip shortage, Sony evidently used different suppliers in order to continue production and some of these components do not respond to the new protocol.

May 11, 2024 at 06:14 PM
chiron
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · A1 Firmware Survey

Firmware 2.01 is on thousands if not tens of thousands of A1 cameras around the world by now. The "problem" of firmware destroying wifi and bluetooth seems to be confined to one person at fm.com (I know there are 2 in the survey, but only one has actually posted about the problem and I have my doubts about the reality of the second report in the survey until a second poster declares himself).

Also, there is nothing from dpreview members about this.

So, we have one instance of a camera that Sony says needs to be sent to Precision Camera for repair.

May 11, 2024 at 07:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

j4nu
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · A1 Firmware Survey

Are there any reports of people who had broken wifi/bluetooth on 2.00 and it got fixed on 2.01?

May 11, 2024 at 07:48 PM
jplaurel

p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · A1 Firmware Survey

Not quite.

Have a look at the following FB forums:
-- Sony A1
-- Sony A1 Shooters
-- Sony A1 Video Users
-- Sony A7SIII Video Shooters

Search "wifi" and "wi-fi"

Also note that the 3.00 firmware for the A7SIII has broken dual native ISO. On that camera, dual native ISO is now 80 and 1600 instead of 640 and 12,800.

Enjoy.

chiron wrote:
Firmware 2.01 is on thousands if not tens of thousands of A1 cameras around the world by now. The "problem" of firmware destroying wifi and bluetooth seems to be confined to one person at fm.com (I know there are 2 in the survey, but only one has actually posted about the problem and I have my doubts about the reality of the second report in the survey until a second poster declares himself).

Also, there is nothing from dpreview members about this.

So, we have one instance of a camera that Sony says needs to be sent to Precision Camera
...Show more

Edited on May 12, 2024 at 02:25 PM · View previous versions

May 11, 2024 at 10:30 PM
jplaurel

p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · A1 Firmware Survey

Yes, there are. In fact, the Wi-Fi/BT problem was one of the stated reasons Sony pulled 2.00.

j4nu wrote:
Are there any reports of people who had broken wifi/bluetooth on 2.00 and it got fixed on 2.01?

May 11, 2024 at 10:36 PM
j4nu
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · A1 Firmware Survey

Thanks, that's reassuring.
I was beginning to think that the only difference between 2.00 and 2.01 is that you get an error message instead of a camera lockup ...

jplaurel wrote:
Yes, there are. In fact, the Wi-Fi/BT problem was one of the stated reasons Sony pulled 2.00.

May 12, 2024 at 06:47 AM
chiron
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · A1 Firmware Survey

This entire topic feels like some weird conspiracy theory. The survey was a great way to bring some empirical data to bear.

May 12, 2024 at 10:04 AM
jplaurel

p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · A1 Firmware Survey

Note that Sony has just issued v3.01 for the A7SIII which, among other things, purports to fix the ISO issue when recording RAW to an external device, and “an issue where the camera may not be able to connect to a network”.

jplaurel wrote:
Also note that the 3.00 firmware for the A7SIII has broken dual native ISO. On that camera, dual native ISO is now 80 and 1600 instead of 640 and 12,800.

Enjoy.

May 15, 2024 at 07:41 AM
MAubrey
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · A1 Firmware Survey

jplaurel wrote:
Not quite.

Have a look at the following FB forums:
-- Sony A1
-- Sony A1 Shooters
-- Sony A1 Video Users
-- Sony A7SIII Video Shooters

Search "wifi" and "wi-fi"

Enjoy.

May 15, 2024 at 08:34 AM
stuuke
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · A1 Firmware Survey

I have two newer A1s and haven't had any issues so far with the firmware. I don't really use wifi or bluetooth though so those issues may be there.

I had a photographer message me the following:

The A1 has an issue that's why they are getting rid of it
The mother boards are dying and they don't want to acknowledge it. Costs over 1k to fix outside of warranty
The blue tooth and wifi modules are dead and attached to the mother boards
Its been an issue for a while and only now people realize bec last firmware update asks user to connect to your phone and it shows connection failed
I was aware of the issue on one of mine a year ago when I couldn't wireless tether with it. I used it for video so I didn't care but now I want to trade that body in for another body

No idea if that is factual or not but thought it was interesting.

May 15, 2024 at 09:49 AM
chiron
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · A1 Firmware Survey

stuuke wrote:
I had a photographer message me the following:

The A1 has an issue that's why they are getting rid of it
The mother boards are dying and they don't want to acknowledge it. Costs over 1k to fix outside of warranty
The blue tooth and wifi modules are dead and attached to the mother boards
Its been an issue for a while and only now people realize bec last firmware update asks user to connect to your phone and it shows connection failed
I was aware of the issue on one of mine a year ago when I couldn't wireless tether with it. I used
...Show more

I had a photographer friend text me to say that Sony is going to cut the price of the A1 to $1599 because the plastic base of the motherboards is melting when the temp goes over 72 degrees and the shutter mechanism has started to fly off into the back of the lens scratching the rear elements. They are going to introduce a fixed A1 in August called the A1 BS.

They only discovered the problem after the A1 had been around for more than three years because no one at Sony ever answers their phone because they don't care about customers but only about making money and their post-colonialist, late-stage capitalist business model is to cheat people better than anyone else.

The fixed A1 BS will list for $29,999. Battery extra.

Edited on May 15, 2024 at 10:22 AM · View previous versions

May 15, 2024 at 10:08 AM
stuuke
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · A1 Firmware Survey

Well I guess that's one way to respond.

May 15, 2024 at 10:22 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.