Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              3       4       5       end

A1 Firmware Survey
I'm on 2.01 with no problems
I'm on 2.01 and have had minor issues (e.g. battery drain)
I'm on 2.01 and have had major issues (WiFi/BT failure)
I'm still on 1.3x
I'm just curious

A1 Firmware Survey

j4nu
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · A1 Firmware Survey

chiron wrote:
---------------------------------------------

The survey results are a very strong indication that there is no problem and that Sony's responses have been accurate and appropriate.

I'm afraid you need to re-read what I wrote...
There were 3 (more if you count A7SIII) cases of wifi/bluetooth failing after 2.00 / 2.01 on this forum alone AFAIR, but that's not the point.

May 09, 2024 at 12:15 AM
liggy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · A1 Firmware Survey

twodees wrote:
Still on 1.32 here. Everything working as it should and I'm going to be away for five of the next eight weeks for which my a1 is crucial.

If I'm honest there's not a lot of benefit to me in 2.0/2.01 as I shoot very little video, am in no rush to send pictures ooc anywhere and I'm not a streamer.

Same. I usually upgrade right away but just finished a 2 week trip and wanted to avoid any potential issues. A1 working great on 1.32 and without Precapture or some stacking aids - no compelling reason to risk it until I get home.

May 09, 2024 at 01:15 AM
liggy
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · A1 Firmware Survey

j4nu wrote:
I'm afraid you need to re-read what I wrote...
There were 3 (more if you count A7SIII) cases of wifi/bluetooth failing after 2.00 / 2.01 on this forum alone AFAIR, but that's not the point.

There were reports on the A1 FB group as well but thereís a chance of overlap of course.

May 09, 2024 at 02:21 AM
slickturner

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · A1 Firmware Survey

This poll was great revealing idea. Thanks I was beginning to think a big problem existed.

May 09, 2024 at 05:52 AM
swldstn
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · A1 Firmware Survey

Iíve held off updating from 1.32 for both of my A1ís because it seemed to me that there was a large amount of chatter about issues people were having and I was in no rush. In a few weeks I will give it a try to one of the bodies and see how it goes.

May 09, 2024 at 07:51 AM
jhapeman
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · A1 Firmware Survey

swldstn wrote:
Iíve held off updating from 1.32 for both of my A1ís because it seemed to me that there was a large amount of chatter about issues people were having and I was in no rush. In a few weeks I will give it a try to one of the bodies and see how it goes.

And that was the point. There is a LOT of chatter, but I suspect like most things the squeaky wheels are what we hear and silent majority is out there.

So far the poll would indicate that a serious problem is quite rare. I am personally taking the "battery drain" with a grain of salt. I think that is somehow settings related and not really a bug per se. I have seen zero change in battery use between 1.32 and 2.0 and 2.01 on both of my A1's and I have two friends with the same situation (they are not FM users so they haven't even voted here).

May 09, 2024 at 08:52 AM
twodees
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · A1 Firmware Survey

I'm a bit more cautious after one of the earlier updates made a mess of things though a complete reset of the camera (and thus my settings) cured it. Precapture was never coming anyway and I have an a7r5 for everything without fur and feather so I'm covered for my own needs without updating the a1.

liggy wrote:
Same. I usually upgrade right away but just finished a 2 week trip and wanted to avoid any potential issues. A1 working great on 1.32 and without Precapture or some stacking aids - no compelling reason to risk it until I get home.

May 09, 2024 at 09:20 AM
ajmiller32

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · A1 Firmware Survey

2.01 and doing just fine. The remote control of the creators' app is neat and the cloud storage works. Bought used on this forum, SN starts with 337 as well.

May 09, 2024 at 09:34 AM
phishbone
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · A1 Firmware Survey

2.01 and everything is working fine, but I now go through batteries like candy.

May 09, 2024 at 10:00 AM
slickturner

p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · A1 Firmware Survey

Perhaps a power time setting that could be lowered (if there is such a thing).

Monty

May 09, 2024 at 11:06 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

j4nu
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · A1 Firmware Survey

phishbone wrote:
2.01 and everything is working fine, but I now go through batteries like candy.

Still on 2.01? I thought it was supposed to fix the battery drain for those experiencing it...

May 09, 2024 at 11:39 AM
jplaurel

p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · A1 Firmware Survey

Steps to reproduce the typical WiFi/BT failure:

1) Download and install the Creators app on your iphone
1a) Create or Login to your Sony account
2) Go through the process to add a camera.
2a) Select the camera icon at the bottom of the screen
2b) Select the camera icon with the "+" symbol at the top of the screen
2c) Choose your camera from the list of "Cameras that can connect to this app"
2d) Select the black button: "My camera meets the required version"
3) On the camera, (Cnct/Remote Sht. -> Smartphone Connection). This will tell you to "Install Creators' App"
4) Follow the prompts from there. You should quickly see a photorealistic image of your camera model, with control options for Remote Shooting, Import, Network Streaming, and Camera Settings.

If your camera has the WiFi/Bluetooth problem, you will see an error message like the one in the attached photo. I suspect that alot of people are assuming that their unit is ok by simply connecting to a WiFi access point.

Douglas L wrote:
OK, I was very brave. I just updated the new to me A1 from FW 1.31 to 2.01. This body was purchased new by the previous owner in March 2022, presumably it was manufactured in 2021 or early 2022.

I have never used the wifi features in any of my cameras, this is the first time ever for me to try. It was able to detect the wifi networks, I entered the password, and got this screen. Hope it means it's working. I have another A1 that I bought new few months ago. I also just updated it from 2.0
...Show more

May 09, 2024 at 04:37 PM
jplaurel

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · A1 Firmware Survey

The poll shows that almost as many remain on 1.32 as have upgraded with no problems. It ill be interesting to see what happens when they upgrade to 2.01.

jhapeman wrote:
And that was the point. There is a LOT of chatter, but I suspect like most things the squeaky wheels are what we hear and silent majority is out there.

So far the poll would indicate that a serious problem is quite rare. I am personally taking the "battery drain" with a grain of salt. I think that is somehow settings related and not really a bug per se. I have seen zero change in battery use between 1.32 and 2.0 and 2.01 on both of my A1's and I have two friends with the same situation (they are not
...Show more

May 09, 2024 at 06:03 PM
phishbone
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · A1 Firmware Survey

j4nu wrote:
Still on 2.01? I thought it was supposed to fix the battery drain for those experiencing it...

Yup! Everything else on the camera is fine and working as expected, but I can't figure out where the power draw is coming from. All the radios are off, and my power-standby settings are the same as before. The only thing I can think of is that maybe they're running the CPUs a bit harder, but then again that would generate more heat so...

May 09, 2024 at 06:11 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · A1 Firmware Survey

^^^ Do you have it in airplane mode?

May 09, 2024 at 06:34 PM
chiron
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · A1 Firmware Survey

Very odd. No one at dpreview seems to be reporting this problem with 2.01 destroying the A1's wifi and bluetooth.

How would one explain that?

May 09, 2024 at 08:54 PM
phishbone
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · A1 Firmware Survey

schlotz wrote:
^^^ Do you have it in airplane mode?

I do.

May 09, 2024 at 09:32 PM
jhapeman
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · A1 Firmware Survey

jplaurel wrote:
The poll shows that almost as many remain on 1.32 as have upgraded with no problems. It ill be interesting to see what happens when they upgrade to 2.01.

I have run a similar poll over on the Sony A1 FB group with very similar results. I'm sure there's some overlap but overall the numbers seem very consistent. That would imply that when those folks upgrade they will see similar results--that's just how statistics and sampling work. There's absolutely zero reason that willingness to upgrade would be correlated in any way with a hardware/software failure.

May 10, 2024 at 07:09 AM
j4nu
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · A1 Firmware Survey

I think someone posted that FB poll and indeed results were similar, about 10% affected with only a couple per cent experiencing networking issues.
That's why it's even more puzzling as to why Sony is not willing to fix those most-affected cameras...

May 10, 2024 at 07:57 AM
jhapeman
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · A1 Firmware Survey

j4nu wrote:
I think someone posted that FB poll and indeed results were similar, about 10% affected with only a couple per cent experiencing networking issues.
That's why it's even more puzzling as to why Sony is not willing to fix those most-affected cameras...

I would suggest that we are jumping to conclusions here. It's still very early in this process. With such a small percentage actually effected, its impossible to say why. Is it a bad batch of communications boards? Is it use of non-Sony batteries? Some other odd quirk? Problems that affect only a small fraction of a user base can be difficult to troubleshoot to a root cause until you have enough data compiled, and it's only after that where you can determine your path forward.

The downside are the folks caught in the situation now, of course. But I wouldn't assume that Sony is simply "not willing to fix" any problem cameras.

May 10, 2024 at 08:21 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.