Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Gigapan or other auto motorized tripod heads for landscape photography?

lightskyland
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gigapan or other auto motorized tripod heads for landscape photography?

Anyone here using an automated motorized tripod head with camera remote solution for their landscape photography?

I know using this kind of approach with my drone photography makes a huge difference in resolution, DR and IQ. Curious to hear from land-based landscape photographers about their experiences?

Thanks!

May 08, 2024 at 06:53 AM
MikeEvangelist
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gigapan or other auto motorized tripod heads for landscape photography?

I used a GigaPan EPIC Pro for a few years, shooting both landscape and architecture. It had some nice automated capabilities, but I ultimately switched to just using my cheapo Wimberley-style gimbal and doing them manually.

The Epic was pretty cool for its ability to set up and shoot a pan with dozens/hundreds of images, and the resulting stitched images can be remarkable. But the Epic was big and clunky and had terrible battery life. I always had to have a spare with me in case it decided to die in the middle of a shoot. And...the most relevant limitation today is that it only works with older Sony bodies that support remote control over micro-USB. (Sony really put a kink in a lot of interesting external solutions when they abandoned wired remote capability.)

What I ultimately concluded is that as long as I have my camera/lens combo mounted so it swivels around its nodal point, shooting manual pans is pretty easy. (at least up to 50 shots or so).

ILCE-7R    FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS lens    80mm    f/8.0    1/800s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

ILCE-7R    85mm F1.4 lens    85mm    f/5.6    1s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

My more recent manual pan setup

May 08, 2024 at 07:41 AM
Jeff
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gigapan or other auto motorized tripod heads for landscape photography?

Go manual. Or, keep manual, as the case may be. I'd spend too much time screwing around with the programming, when often you need to start shooting immediately.

Now, a competent assistant I'd take. lol

[Edit: here's my setup, for the record]

May 08, 2024 at 04:42 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.