New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Paul C Buff HUB Now Does Sony

kaplah
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Paul C Buff HUB Now Does Sony

So full TTL / HSS with the Celestial, Link for Sony users:

https://www.paulcbuff.com/Remotes/Triggers-for-Your-Camera/HUB-Remote-for-Sony.html

May 07, 2024 at 08:53 AM
delsol9400
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Paul C Buff HUB Now Does Sony

The Celestial is the most underrated light on the market. Can't believe people are buying that Jinbei flash that is rebranded to a Westcott FJ400.... Not to mention other overseas inferior brands...

May 07, 2024 at 04:58 PM
jlafferty
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Paul C Buff HUB Now Does Sony

It came out too late. It’s a decent light overall but there’s no single killer feature about it that makes it worth abandoning the lights people were already invested in 🤷🏻‍♂️ Like… the Jinbei strobes you’re trashing are actually decent. We’re spoiled for good choices these days.

delsol9400 wrote:
The Celestial is the most underrated light on the market. Can't believe people are buying that Jinbei flash that is rebranded to a Westcott FJ400.... Not to mention other overseas inferior brands...

May 07, 2024 at 05:03 PM
delsol9400
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Paul C Buff HUB Now Does Sony

Yes, it probably came out too late for many... Biggest stand out features over the FJ400 includes more power, smaller, faster recycle time, (well under a second at full power 500w/s, 1.5s when the battery is about to die) no fan, faster flash duration at higher power levels (almost Einstein level), better color consistency from shot to shot, even in action mode +/- 50k (in my tests I don't even see 50k), brighter modeling light. The 400w/s Jinbei (Westcott FJ400) varies up to 150k from shot to shot and up to 500K in action, which is crazy.
Even at 500ws, the Celestial puts out more power than the AD600 (rated at 600ws). Yes, maybe those things aren't enough to make people who are already invested switch. Thankfully I was in the market for new lights after these had come out. I prefer to support American companies when I can.

jlafferty wrote:
It came out too late. It’s a decent light overall but there’s no single killer feature about it that makes it worth abandoning the lights people were already invested in 🤷🏻‍♂️ Like… the Jinbei strobes you’re trashing are actually decent. We’re spoiled for good choices these days.

May 07, 2024 at 05:22 PM
jlafferty
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Paul C Buff HUB Now Does Sony

Too bad about that Balcar mount :/

My bet is that it doesn’t put out more power than the AD600Pro, they just used an efficient reflector vs. the reflector included with the 600Pro, which is really inefficient. If you move from the standard reflector to an efficient 7” with the 600Pro, you jump IIRC 2/3 stop in output.

May 07, 2024 at 07:27 PM
delsol9400
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Paul C Buff HUB Now Does Sony

There's a video on the Buff You Tube Channel showing the difference between the Celestial and the AD600, with NO reflectors, so there is no efficiency issue. The Celestial is 1/10th of a stop brighter at a 100WS LOWER power than the ad600 pro. I've confirmed these results myself. Follow the link:
https://youtu.be/7o-aGUdmTzI?t=359

Nothing wrong with the Balcar mount. The very early release Einsteins had an issue with the finger release back in 2009 or so. The shape of the fingers were updated, and faceplate was rebuilt to hold bigger modifiers. You could have sent your Einstein into be replaced for free at the time, but many people didn't, weren't paying attention, or just chose to complain... So the mount has had a bad rap since. Maybe I'm biased but I don't see anything more simple or better about the Bowens mount versus the Balcar mount -- both are pretty easy to use. I've had a Heavy 60 inch soft box on my Celestial for awhile now, it's not falling off anytime soon.

jlafferty wrote:
Too bad about that Balcar mount :/

My bet is that it doesn’t put out more power than the AD600Pro, they just used an efficient reflector vs. the reflector included with the 600Pro, which is really inefficient. If you move from the standard reflector to an efficient 7” with the 600Pro, you jump IIRC 2/3 stop in output.

May 07, 2024 at 08:19 PM
jlafferty
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Paul C Buff HUB Now Does Sony

Well I stand corrected, that power output is great.

The “problem” with the Balcar mount is that, AFAIK only PCB uses it, so you’re left for wanting if you’re looking for more niche modifiers. If it doesn’t matter to you, it doesn’t. But for me I like knowing that when something hits the market, someone is inevitably making a Bowens version, and often several competing manufacturers are.

May 07, 2024 at 09:02 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Paul C Buff HUB Now Does Sony

This is such a good news, especially since I am really interested in that PCB Celestial. However, this is a great first step so that hopefully Raven TLC people will offer a Sony Trigger soon. The Hub is honestly a shitty trigger, a big let down to the some of the very interesting lights PCB has.

May 08, 2024 at 12:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

aCuria
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Paul C Buff HUB Now Does Sony

PCB does not have good distribution outside of the USA imo. Godox is sold everywhere.

May 08, 2024 at 09:31 AM
delsol9400
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Paul C Buff HUB Now Does Sony

I hear an even newer trigger may be on the way from PCB... The Hub has improved significantly with recent firmware updates, but it's not ideal to not be able to change power levels without a phone... But you can shoot a TTL shot, then switch into manual to keep the same setting just like with Profoto... Speaking of Profoto, no one complains about the profoto connect, but maybe because there are other options... right now it's just the Raven and Buff's CST3

quote]hiepphotog wrote:
This is such a good news, especially since I am really interested in that PCB Celestial. However, this is a great first step so that hopefully Raven TLC people will offer a Sony Trigger soon. The Hub is honestly a shitty trigger, a big let down to the some of the very interesting lights PCB has.

May 08, 2024 at 10:35 AM
jlafferty
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Paul C Buff HUB Now Does Sony

I think nobody complains about the Profoto Connect because nobody’s buying them

May 08, 2024 at 05:03 PM
delsol9400
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Paul C Buff HUB Now Does Sony

Good point! I can't think of a good reason to buy anything Profoto.

May 08, 2024 at 05:12 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Paul C Buff HUB Now Does Sony

I love the new Godox X3 trigger. Some local Profoto users said Godox just copied the Profoto Connect. I mean some of these folks have a strange way looking at things. To be honest though, I would have gotten the B10X plus for my location since it’s the lightest and smallest in its class. Yet reading the Profoto user group on FB suggests that these lights are not very durable, lots of random problems with costly repairs. PCB Celestial is the next best in terms of size and weight and PCB seems to be known for their durability. This light has some great specs/features as well. But I am seriously spoiled with the Godox triggers. So I just hope either Raven TLC or PCB would release a more feature rich trigger soon.

May 09, 2024 at 05:58 AM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Paul C Buff HUB Now Does Sony

delsol9400 wrote:
I hear an even newer trigger may be on the way from PCB...

Care to point us to your rumour source?

May 09, 2024 at 08:06 AM
delsol9400
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Paul C Buff HUB Now Does Sony

BUFF says...

"While our HUB and app system does provide some of the most extensive light controlling on the market, we have listened carefully to customers who prefer a simplified on-camera control system. This is something our team has been actively discussing and plan to address."

kaplah wrote:
Care to point us to your rumour source?

May 09, 2024 at 06:06 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Paul C Buff HUB Now Does Sony

delsol9400 wrote:
BUFF says...

That's a pretty good source!

May 10, 2024 at 07:25 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.